PDA

View Full Version : A sad day...

375supermag
07-09-2011, 05:49 PM
My friend has given up his FFL and closed his gunshop after 30+ years.
Just couldn't make a go of it...inventory, insurance, etc. Just couldn't compete any longer. He had to take a full-time job to get affordable health insurance and that really limited his time at the shop.

Too bad...I bought a lot of nice stuff there over the years.
If I wanted something in the case and was short on cash, he would just stick it in the safe for me until I paid it off...many times with no money down.

I have several other gun shops that I deal with and I can work deals with all of them, but I doubt any would put a gun away for me with no money down, just on my promise that I would pay it off.

smoked turkey
07-09-2011, 07:23 PM
It is sad that the local small gun shop can't make a go of it. I have had the same thing happen here. It makes me feel a little bad because I have not always taken my business there, rather opting for the mail order business in lieu of the local gun shop when prices were better some where else. And for that matter the small shop doesn't have the inventory the larger shops have. Just excuses I know, so I am partly to blame for our situation here.

6.5 mike
07-09-2011, 09:23 PM
The trully sad part, to me, we not only lose an easy place to pick up a few primers, some brass, or an odd part for our latest treasure, but a friend. When these shops close, they take the experiance that will never be found at the "part changer" shops. Try to find a shop now days that knows how to blue a nickel steel mod 12 winchester, rust blue a fine Parker or A H Fox double, or make a flat main spring for either. These are the true craftsmen. The knowledge that is lost when this happens can never be replaced, & I'm sad to say, happens all to often.

canyon-ghost
07-09-2011, 09:35 PM
A friend of mine is trying to make a go of it too, advertises here and on the web. Has a small shop but, he can make your parts. He shoots anything from flintlocks to leverguns to AK 47s.
http://www.downeastgunworks.com/

Y'all, Jim Green is a friend indeed.

Ron

Try to find a shop now days that knows how to blue a nickel steel mod 12 winchester, rust blue a fine Parker or A H Fox double, or make a flat main spring for either.

The answer is yes, he can.

smoked turkey
07-09-2011, 11:55 PM
Thanks for posting that web site. I can see that he has put a lot of work in it.Great shop he has there. I like his attitude and his "being one of us". He knows what he is doing. I enjoyed his 4th of July celebration.

WILCO
07-10-2011, 10:28 AM
I enjoyed his 4th of July celebration.

Me too!

canyon-ghost
07-10-2011, 11:34 AM
We're still having fun, yessir, Mr. Green!

1Shirt
07-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Unfortunately, supply and demand dictate in a tight economic environment. When money is tight, food will of necessity take priority over powder and primers.
1Shirt!:coffeecom