PDA

View Full Version : Military or antique

gunnut14
07-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Which do you call it?
I have 2 71/84 (43) Mausers that I recently bought.
They started as parts and the builder did a bang up job on them..
Seems to me to be as close as possible to the originals that I see in pictures and articles.
I love them and have shot both with smokeless and am looking forward to shooting one with BP.
Have read all the articles I could find and am looking for load data and boolit data for Paper Patched boolits

gunnut14

Wayne Smith
07-09-2011, 04:19 PM
I'd call them both. Both are accurate. Antique military firarms.

leadman
07-09-2011, 06:19 PM
There are a couple posts here on these rifles with references to load data. Look in both paper patch sections.

Multigunner
07-10-2011, 02:30 AM
Which do you call it?
I have 2 71/84 (43) Mausers that I recently bought.
They started as parts and the builder did a bang up job on them..
Seems to me to be as close as possible to the originals that I see in pictures and articles.
I love them and have shot both with smokeless and am looking forward to shooting one with BP.
Have read all the articles I could find and am looking for load data and boolit data for Paper Patched boolits

gunnut14

Don't take this for gospel, always better to look up the laws to be sure, but IIRC so long as a rifle is manufactured before 1898 its an Antique. They used to sell 1891 Mausers and rifles of similar vintage by mail order with little or no paperwork so long as the rifle was actually manufactured before 1898 and was in original configuration.
Those rifles chambered for cartridges believed obsolete and difficult to find were pretty much considered non guns for awhile, though now days you can find ammo for just about anything if you look hard enough.

madsenshooter
07-11-2011, 12:07 PM
They're antiques, not classified as firearms in any shape or form, thus no registration is required. I have several 92/96 Krags for that reason and also because they'll sometimes outshoot something much more modern.

Ed in North Texas
07-12-2011, 06:52 PM
We need to be careful about the legal answers we give. I usually don't worry about such things as I have a C&R and don't live in an anally retentive regulatory state. I am currently escaping the TX heat in NY state. Lo and behold, there is no such thing as an "antique" cartridge firearm in NY, or at least if cartridges are in any way available on the market (IIRC). So New Yorkers can forget about 1898, it has no meaning in NY firearms statutes. BP is OK though (again - IIRC).

Ed

gew98
07-21-2011, 06:54 PM
Ed ; I can tell you from growing up in New jerkistan that in the northeast like Ny,NJ , MA antique definitions count for nothing as the state laws in those sh*tholes treat everything as lethal and licenseable. For example to get a BB pistol in NJ you must be able to acquire a pistol permit for such... and possessing one without it there will make you felon on the spot. Don't you just love liberals ?.
Oh as well the NY State pistol permit is a defacto carry permit in the counties that have not specifically voided that detail upon issuance. As well there if you get a DUI for example you will have your pistol permit pulled and the sherrif will come out and confiscate any pistols on your permit. Had a buddy's son go through that and he beat the BS DUI as he had a med condition and the loyal pooblik servant chose to cite & arrest anyhow. Cost them alot of money...and more to fight to get the guns returned !.

leadman
07-21-2011, 07:46 PM
There is a reloading article in the current Guns & Ammo military Surplus magazine by Bob Shell. Take his info with a large dose of salt! 370gr boolit at 1,637fps?? Not in my 71.

He is the same fella that shot loads in the Swedish Rolling Block in 8X58R that exceeded modern 30-06 ballistics!

bydand
07-29-2011, 04:31 PM
Just a small correction. If the rifle was made BEFORE Jan1 1899 it is an antique

That really needs to be updated (fat chance) as there are plenty of rifles after that date that are 100yrs old.

Surplus Shooter
07-30-2011, 08:34 AM
I dont think it is classified as an antique.

Ed in North Texas
07-30-2011, 03:02 PM
Just a small correction. If the rifle was made BEFORE Jan1 1899 it is an antique

That really needs to be updated (fat chance) as there are plenty of rifles after that date that are 100yrs old.

Fat chance indeed. If they brought up a change in the statute, we'd be lucky if any cartridge firearm was left in the "no ffl needed) category.

Ed in North Texas
07-30-2011, 03:07 PM
[QUOTE=gew98;1340745]Ed ;snip
For example to get a BB pistol in NJ you must be able to acquire a pistol permit for such... and possessing one without it there will make you felon on the spot.
While I'm not surprised at the idiocy, it is sort of mind-boggling. Guess they didn't think about licensing baseball bats and galvanized pipes.

Don't you just love liberals ?.

Well, actually, no. :veryconfu

StrawHat
07-31-2011, 06:56 AM
...Have read all the articles I could find and am looking for load data and boolit data for Paper Patched boolits

gunnut14

If you have not read this, it is the one I always cite when folks ask about the 71 or 71/84.

http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/article.cfm?tocid=750&magid=56