PDA

View Full Version : SAECO Moulds & H&G

MikeS
07-09-2011, 04:39 AM
Hi All.

I have several SAECO moulds, at current count 7 of them. I have 3 two cavity, 3 four cavity, and one 8 cavity. While I know it's fairly common for mould makers to copy designs of other companies, I've noticed that SAECO seems to have lots of moulds that are copies of H&G moulds, right down to the mould number!

Both H&G & SAECO were originally located in CA (if they were near each other I don't know), and the design of their sprue plates (for the two cavity moulds at least) are also very similar to each other. Was this simply a case of SAECO copying H&G designs, or was there some form of cooperation going on between them? I could imagine the H&G moulds being the Rolls Royce of moulds, while the SAECO was the Lincoln, so somebody that really wanted a very good mould, but either couldn't afford their pricing, or the wait for an H&G, getting a SAECO mould. I have an old advertising flier from SAECO (when they were in Carpinteria CA) that says they're the 'Successor to the Cramer Bullet mould'.

When I got my first SAECO mould, it was an old two cavity #12 mould. At that time I had posted pictures of the mould, as the way it mounted to the handles was strange, with the screws going into the mould from the top, with the screw that held the left hand mould block to the handles also holding the sprue plate onto the mould. A few forum members even commented that they should go in from the bottom, but after seeing later SAECO moulds where they do go into the bottom, that mould was definately designed for the screws to go in from the top. Since that time, I've gotten 3 more moulds that are old, and like my #12 the blocks had no markings, and the sprue plate is where the mould number is. All of the older ones have written on the arm of the sprue plate "SAECO Custom Precision NO." stamped on with a single stamp (rolled on?) with the actual mould number being hand stamped. All of these older moulds also mount with the screws going in from the top, with the sprue plate screw also holding on the mould block. Does anyone know the aprox. age of these moulds? Two of the older ones came with Scovill handles that have 2 sets of holes for mould mounting, and have some really nice wood on them, that's finished in a real dark finish. Another of the mould handles (the ones I got originally with the #12 mould) are unmarked as to maker, but look very similar to the pictures I've seen of H&G mould handles, and totally different than the Scovill. And the one other set of SAECO handles I have look identical to the Scovill, but with much lighter colored wood, and no makers name on them, and only 1 set of mounting holes. Those handles came with moulds that were made by Redding, so are later I would imagine.

Most of the SAECO moulds that I got recently were really dirty! One of the moulds, a four cavity #130 was so dirty (with actual dirt, not only rust) that until I scrubbed the sprue plate you couldn't see any writing on it!, but all of them after cleaning, and soaking in evapo-rust to remove any rust on them (amazingly none of them had any rust in the actual cavities!) cleaned up really nicely, and cast beautiful boolits!

One last question I have is for anyone that has a fairly recent (Redding) production #68 mould. I have a latter #69 mould (a copy of the H&G #68 in plain base), and the grease grove in it is square bottomed, but kind of on the shallow side, while the older production #68 that I have (also a copy of the H&G #68, but in BB form) has a rounded grease grove just like the H&G, and it seems to hold about a grain of NRA 50/50 lube, while the #69 I have holds much less, so I'm wondering if the newer production #68 is rounded like mine, or if it too has the shallow square GG?

Of the moulds I have, 5 of them are direct copies of H&G designs (#12,#68, #69 (design is same, just different number), #130, and#265. The other 2 I don't think are copies of H&G designs (but I might be wrong), they are: #384, and #458.

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to share some observations, and ask a few questions. Thanks for reading it all!

casterofboolits
07-09-2011, 08:36 AM
I have quite a few (20?) Redding/Saeco moulds and two original Saeco four cavity #457 45-225-RNBB modified to drop a 195 grain flat base round nose. I had another of the same mould that dropped a 200 grain RN, but had a brain fart and ruined the mould. Both of these moulds have/had a sprue plate similar to H&G four cavity sprue plate. I:E: The pivot screw is in the upper right hand cornor.

I later modified an eight cavity #457 to drop a 200 grain RN.

I also have one four cavity 38 wad cutter mould where the sprue cutter bolt also holds the handle on. Someone did a "bubba" on it when they stripped the threads and it needs a bit of work. Long bolt to a nut on the outside if the mould bottom. Can't use the mould with my RCBS Pro Melt pots. Since I have H&G and Lyman six and four cavity wad cutter moulds, the Saeco mould has set on the shelf for decades.

For the most part I like Saeco moulds, but prefer the larger Lyman four cavity blocks (if they have a design that works for me) as the smaller Saeco four cavity blocks heat up too quickly.

Saeco is certainly consistant in manufacturing thier moulds. Last year I purchased a four cavity #115 09-122-RNBB to match one I purchased at least 20 years ago. The new mould exactly matched the older one in weight, size and diameter. Both moulds drop 125 grains with my alloy.

Why do I have so many Saeco moulds? I had a casting business for over twenty years and my Saeco moulds served me well. As did H&G, Magma, and Lyman. NEI totally sucked!

peterthevet
07-09-2011, 07:27 PM
Hi Mike - fantastic post.

I recently acquired some old saeco molds (several brand new,in original white box) and after admiring them, particularly their quality, I set out to find a little bit about them. So I may have some info that is useul to you. Most of what I found was from old posts by Paul Jones (I think he may have had a nickname "Fitz" or "Flitz" after some grips he sold)....who evidently was Saeco's main salesman of the day, and who had a close relationship with the original owners of the company. Saeco is derived from Santa Anna Engineering Company and was sold to a new owner in the late 70's (1979 fom memory) who ran it for 1-2 yaers and then sold it to Redding, who currently produce Saeco molds.

The new owner in 1979 started to cut some corners and according to Mr Jones the quality slipped slightly. Changes he mentioned were that they stopped using meehanite for the blocks and stopped the special grinding technique (from memory called Blanchard grinding)that perfectly mated the top of the mold and the sprue cutter....both were relatively expensive parts of the whole process, so cheaper alternatives were sourced.

He stated that you can tell the better Saeco molds by the following features
1. No stamping on the mold blocks
2. Mold # was stamped on the sprue cutter
3. They were marked SAECO Custom Precision NO...then the mold number
4. They came in the Saeco white cardboard box
5. They never made molds with more than 4 cavities
6. The handles were well made and the timber was high quality, nicely patterned
wood, sourced from gunstock offcuts
More to follow.....later

MikeS
07-11-2011, 12:45 AM
I noticed that a couple of the SAECO handles had the Scoville name on the ferules. They also look almost identical to pictures I've seen of the newer style Lyman handles, so I wonder if Lyman is now getting their handles from Scoville as well?

Dale53
07-11-2011, 01:18 AM
I have two four cavity Saeco moulds for their #68 bullet. This is a copy of the H&G #68 but not quite as good. I'll explain:

Understand, I have shot over 100,000 of the Saeco bullets with perfect results. They cut clean holes in the target and shoot extremely well. However, the H&G was specifically designed to feed, as near as possible, in an un-modified 1911. The Saeco is not quite so good in this department. However, this was never a personal problem as my two match 1911's will feed empty cases.

I still have a bit of preference for the H&G bullet and prefer the #69 (same bullet as the #68 but plain base instead of bevel base). So, as you might imagine, I treasure my Mihec moulds.

I also have an original H&G #130 bullet mould in four cavity. It is one of the best casting moulds I have ever owned. It also shoots extremely well.

So, I guess it boils down to, "You pays your money and you makes your choice"...

Dale53

MikeS
07-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Dale:

You have (from my understanding of your post) both SAECO #68 moulds, and a SAECO #69? If that's the case, I have a couple of questions for you. I too have both, my #69 is a 2 cavity that was made by Redding, and the #68 is a 4 cavity made by the original SAECO people. The nose profile on the 2 is slightly different. On the #69 the nose rounds out to the flat, on the #68 it's a much sharper transition to the flat, with almost a sharp edge. Also, the other question is the lube grove. On the #68 it's a rounded grease grove that holds 1gr. of lube, but on the #69 it's a shallow squared grease grove that holds .6gr of lube. My older generation SAECO #130 also has a rounded grove, that holds 1gr of lube. Below is a picture of my 3 versions of the #68 The left most is a Lee #68 clone, the middle is the SAECO #68 and the right is the SAECO #69. How these compare to an H&G #68 I couldn't tell you as I've never actually seen one personally. In a few months I'll have both BB & PB MiHec #68's to add to my collection.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_177914e1b18656fb91.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1444)

Dale53
07-11-2011, 01:56 PM
MikeS;
Actually, I have two Saeco #68's. They have a bevel base and they look like your #68 Saeco.

The H&G has a rounded nose and the nose strike (when feeding) is exactly the same as the military hardball - that was a design feature when the bullet was developed. THAT is why it feeds in many unaltered 1911's.

The original #130 H&G that I have is a squat 195 gr SWC. It shoots extremely well but must be used in an altered gun to feed well. Further, it doesn't cut a clean hole in the target, as compared to the original #68:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/QHG503bullet-1735.jpg

Dale53