PDA

View Full Version : Difference in barrel length

mustanggt
07-09-2011, 12:47 AM
I have both a 74 and 75 Sharps. 75 has a 28" #1 heavy and the 74 has a 30" #1 heavy. The difference is about 2 lbs. I have shot the 74 alot more because it's purttier :D but all I've done with the plainer 75 is break the barrel in. So I've not had a chance to shoot black in it till today. 2" and 2 lbs make a huge difference in recoil. I didn't think it would be that noticeable. After about 30 rounds through the 75 I was ready to be done. I was trying out the new Money bullet (excellent accuracy, I'm impressed) but wanted to try it in the 74. Well I thought I'll shoot 5 and call it good. I started shooting it and that is when it really hit home about barell length vs. recoil. It didn't bother my shoulder too much after that. No wonder the cavalry went with 55grs and a 405gr boolit in their trapdoors.

bigted
07-09-2011, 08:21 AM
when laying the rifles on top of each other so the barrels are in alignment...is there a difference in the drop of the but-stock? how about the length of pull?

i experience this same thing with my shooters... ruger #1...browning bpcr...pederosoli 74 sharps...Winchester hunter's special.......all in 45-70 and the felt recoil is different in all these rifles. the length of pull is different on them all as is the drop of the comb in the butstock.

i had a browning hunter that had the chamber lengthened to 45-120 and the felt recoil at first was pretty stout..[an 8 lbs rifle with the curved buttplate]...then i installed a tie on recoil pad which lengthened the pull by around 1.5 inch and of course the pad as well but made it quiet tolerable to shoot.

just wondering if you have run into the same situation?

montana_charlie
07-09-2011, 12:21 PM
it really hit home about barell length vs. recoil.

I bet the difference in recoil is more a result of the extra two pounds ... not how much barrel the bullet must pass through.
You would get about the same effect if that two pounds was in the buttstock instead of out on the muzzle.

Tape a two-pound weight on the '75 - maybe under the forearm, if that doesn't interfere with shooting.
See what changes occur at your shoulder bone ...

CM

mustanggt
07-09-2011, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll check the dimensions for curiosity's sake. I'll put a couple of lead ingots on it and see if it makes a difference. Good ideas.

NickSS
07-10-2011, 03:54 AM
I have the same rifles and calibers you talk about and it is the weight that makes the difference as well and the drop of the butt stock. My 1875 Sporter has a 28 inc barrel and a straight stock that has enough drop to make use with iron sights easy. My No 1 Sporting rifle 1874 rifle weighs more mostly due to the difference in the size of the actions of the different models as the 1874 action is much more massive. The two inches of barrel may add several ounces as well. The biggest difference is due to less drop of the comb on my No 1. It tends to drive straight back instead of back and up. If you are getting beat up with either do what I do. I use a magnum recoil shield any time I am shooting a bullet heavier than 400 gr. It removes the pain and the flinches as well.

bigted
07-10-2011, 11:07 AM
i still find the length of pull for me makes the biggest dif. the drop at comb helps with the straight back shove as well and weight is never a thing to be discounted.

i recall a single-shot shotgun i bought as a kid...thing made snot bubbles with every shot...complained to dad till he went out and shot it...[once]...lol...came rite in the house and with his grand smile dug out the tackle box and found several 1 ounce fishing weights...[coastal fishing]...pounded em round and shoved them into the but-stock thru hole and replaced the but-plate. outside we went and he pulled the trigger on the second shell and smiling handed it back to me....shazam...no mo snot bubbles.

so yes weight can make a huge difference.