PDA

View Full Version : Bee's wax

Trey45
07-08-2011, 09:37 PM
I found out today that our little town has a farmers market they just opened, it's open every wednesday and saturday. There's a man there who sells honey from his hives, and also sells bee's wax, I have no idea what a fair price for wax is though, how much are you guys paying per pound? I'm going to venture into the realm of making my own lube eventually, this bee's wax is a needed ingredient.

geargnasher
07-08-2011, 09:50 PM
I buy mine from Randyrat. It's the best at any price I've found among several sources, and by far the least expensive, unless he's gone up on his price. If you can get it for five bucks a pound and it isn't scorched, jump on it.

Gear

Hip's Ax
07-09-2011, 10:08 AM
I use to buy my beeswax off of EPay up until recently when Randy Rat started selling it here. Randy's stuff is really nice and $4 a pound plus shipping if I recall correctly. I bought a bulk deal from him a while back, a flat rate box lined with a plastic bag and poured full of beeswax.

Local bee keepers around here get a lot more then that at the flea market.

No harm in asking your bee keeper how much. Also ask how much per pound in raw form and you can finish the filtering yourself. You can save money that way too.

Trey45
07-09-2011, 10:56 AM
I just got back from the farmers market, the guy selling the honey doesn't have wax, even though I was told yesterday that he did have wax. So I asked him if he ever sold the wax, he tells me the beekeeper he gets the honey from doesn't have wax hives......

then he tells me "whut yuh wont beeswax fer anyhoo, yuh kaint use it fer nuthin 'cept cannles"

After thanking him for his time I went to buy some peaches and sweet corn.

randyrat
07-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Still $4/lb + shipping. There is more uses for beeswax than you can shake a stick at.

Trey45
07-09-2011, 01:04 PM
Randy I'll most likely be hitting you up for some wax in a few weeks. I still have one local resource to contact, if that fails I'll need to import it. You'll get my business when/if that happens.

Wayne Smith
07-09-2011, 03:04 PM
Trey, check your local Southern States. The one in Chesapeake carries honey from a local producer. I've never contacted him, got my wax from Randy before I noticed this. You might be able to get wax directly from the producer of the honey.

Trey45
07-09-2011, 11:07 PM
Good idea Wayne, I'll do just that come monday.