PDA

View Full Version : Accurizing a wheelgun

wtfooptimax200
07-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Besides trigger work, what would you recommend to accurize a hunting revolver?

MtGun44
07-08-2011, 08:06 PM
Consistent, proper throat diameters. Good ammo.

The jerk behind the trigger is one of my biggest variables. :bigsmyl2:

What caliber, and gun?

Bill

Trey45
07-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Agree 100%, properly sized cylinder throats. Properly sized boolits are the next step, slug your bore and size accordingly. Load development, what works in my gun might not work in yours. Find the best load for your gun and stick to it.

bearcove
07-08-2011, 08:40 PM
And practice on your hind legs. Accuracy off the bench has very limited value in the field.

W.R.Buchanan
07-08-2011, 09:02 PM
What Bill said above.

Throats need to be all the same or very close, bullet fit in those throats and the barrel beyond is really just about it. A good consistant load that does the same thing everytime eliminates one big variable.

Beyond that you need to shoot it alot. My mind immediately drifts to the poor SOB that got between Momma Griz and her cubs this week in Yellowstone.

As of a year ago he could have been carrrying a gun inside the park limits. I personally would take a Marlin Carbine either a .44 or .45-70 and carry it in my hand ready to go with a pistol on the hip.

However all that said he would have still needed to have the presence of mind to bring that gun to bear and place a shot or two in the face of said Bear.

It takes alot of practice to be able to draw a hand gun and hit something under pressure. It takes alot more presence of mind (IE being in the moment) and skill to hit a target the size of a pie plate coming at you at 30 mph!

Once you find a nice midrange load that shoots well, stick with it and shoot the gun alot.

The biggest varible in pistol shooting or any other kind of shooting is you. Just more so with a pistol

When things go bad, You have to stand up and face the music . The best you will do is 50% of the best you do in practice.

If you are a 90% shooter in practice then you will shoot at or below 45% which is not the end of the world 1 for 2 under pressure is not bad. If you are a 50% shooter in practice, then you suck! and only luck and divine intervention will save you. If divine intervention is your goto plan, you might want to rethink your life strategy.

Randy

Trey45
07-08-2011, 09:32 PM
At the very top of this section, there's a sticky called, the beginners guide to revolver accuracy
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=21598

It's long, but well worth the read. It should answer all your questions, and then some.

x101airborne
07-08-2011, 09:46 PM
I purchased a revolver forcing cone cutter and polishing set from brownells. With jacketed loads, it took a buddy's model 19 from 1.5 inches at 25 yards to around .3 inches for 6 rounds. My 45 colt ruger blackhawk went from 2" at 25 to around 1 inch for 6 shots. It has never made a revolver shoot worse and I have used it on around 20 revolvers. Yes, trigger, JERK, etc. are variables to consider but I appreciate that cutter set the most. And at only 65.00, where can ya go wrong?

subsonic
07-08-2011, 10:44 PM
The factors that effect practical accuracy, or make the gun easier to shoot we'll are in order:
A good trigger
Good sighting system
Good fit(grips)
Good weight and balance

You can usually gain more from practice and the above than from increases in mechanical accuracy.

But to increase mechanical accuracy, focus on boolit fit as above and tailor the load to the gun. There are many things that a gunsmith can do regarding timing, cutting the forcing cone, lapping or firelapping the barrel, etc. It just depends on how well it shoots as-is and how much you want to spend.

PacMan
07-08-2011, 11:18 PM
Say airborne i have look on brownells sight and can not seem to find the revolver forcing cone reamers.
Where did you find them.
Thanks

Lloyd Smale
07-09-2011, 07:25 AM
a proper forcing cone a good true crown maybe firelap the barrel, throats cut to proper size and a trigger job. It is manditory to at least check these things on any new sixgun. The trigger job is probably the most important to me. Ive yet to get a new gun that didnt need one and that includes my 2000 dollar customs. A gun should have a farily light pull for me. I like 2lbs but can live with up to 3.5. What it MUST have is NO CREEP. Id rather have a trigger with a 5lb pull and no creap then one with a 2lb pull and creep.

x101airborne
07-09-2011, 08:42 AM
The item description is "Brownells revolver chamfering tool kit" and the part number is 080-479-000. Mine is a single caliber kit, that is why it was cheap. The more calibers in the kit, the more expensive.

John Ross
07-09-2011, 08:27 PM
The item description is "Brownells revolver chamfering tool kit" and the part number is 080-479-000.

Not found in their current online catalog.

PacMan
07-10-2011, 10:19 AM
Pm sent to airborne