PDA

View Full Version : Soft and hard lube

walker77
07-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Whats the difference between the two? Ive been using soft white label on my 45 and 44 mag but it gets messy

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

runfiveslittlegirl
07-08-2011, 06:56 PM
you have already seen one difference.
usually the differences are the carriers, and the modifiers.
you can harden a soft lube, or soften a hard lube.
but a soft lube will flow under less pressure.

think of lube as motor oil, and how it acts in the summer and winter months.
that is the best analogy, viscosity is a key element in how and when a lube works or doesn't.
the ingredients react differently to pressure and the gaps they are sealing.

you also need the lube to make it to the end of the bbl and either all come off at once or all stay there for the full journey.
soft comes off [hopefully evenly and quickly]
and hard ,the plastic hard, generally stays in place.

its when they don't seal, come off in the throat or cylinder gap or don't come off evenly on exit that issues arise.
manifested with either leading or accuracy.

RobS
07-08-2011, 09:52 PM
What White Label Lube are you using?

fryboy
07-09-2011, 07:32 AM
umm yeah what she said ( erm fairly well put ! )

most consider hard lube to need a heater and soft to not ( tho a wee bit can help it flow ) the stikkiness/tackiness does seem most common in soft lubes but not exclusively

walker77
07-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Rob, i think its carnuba. Could this have anything to do with my leading issues? I dont mind getting a heater for hard lubes. I just want to use what ever is the best. Why do commercial casters always use hard lubes? Is ot because its easier to use or because its better?

GLynn41
07-11-2011, 05:28 PM
normally Carnuba Red if that is what you have- is a harder lube-- bac --2500+ and the NRA formula are soft-- Bac is not for me-messy and CR is certainly not- both work --becasue of my messing with wildcats I tend to use CR
commercial use harder for themselves -- less problems --with melting -or just wiping off-shipping in general - and they can still work
Go to Lars site and read what he says about the lubes he makes them
and he is part of this board-

RobS
07-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Well if your lube is a red color then you have Carnauba Red. CR is a lube that is softer than most commercial lubes (crayons it seems like many times) and what I would call middle ground. CR doesn't flow as well as some of the other lubes that White Label has such as BAC or 50/50 NRA in particular. The lube that I liked the best lower pressure and even high pressure hand guns was BAC because it didn't smoke like the 50/50. Yes it is a bit messy, but not too bad after the boolits sit for a day or so. On a note though I did have success with CR in regards to no leading, but accuracy out at 50 yards with the handguns didn't fair as well in the cold months. It was a great lube for the higher end rifle loads but again not during the coldest days this last winter (20 degrees and colder).

There are a few different ways that lube works from the lube grooves and here is a nice look at it.

http://www.lasc.us/fryxelllubecastbullets.htm

Personally I prefer a soft lube and have since went to making my own since I work with a larger spectrum of pressures that range from low pressure handgun loads to high pressure rifle loads.

walker77
07-12-2011, 08:53 AM
Are you saying i should be using a heater for that lube? It seems to be going in fine, but do you think its not filling the groove all the way?

walker77
07-12-2011, 11:09 AM
Rob, could i talk you into taking a look at som of my bullets? Maybe you will see something i dont. Its weird, i put about eo rounds through my glock 26 ( 9mm )with a efk barrel, and i got zero leading. I even put the foul out lead remover machine thingy on it to verify it and not a speck on the rod either. So either i didnt shoot it enough or i did something right for once. The 9mm were water dropped also. Maybe im using the wrong lube or not enough of it?

RobS
07-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Are you saying i should be using a heater for that lube? It seems to be going in fine, but do you think its not filling the groove all the way?

I'm not talking about flow in regards to your lubricator lubing the boolits, I'm talking about your lube not flowing when shooting the boolit down the barrel of your 45 auto. You'll be able to tell if the lube isn't filling the lube grooves when lube/sizing; there'll be noticable voids.

GLynn41
07-12-2011, 01:44 PM
if not leading and the accuracy is good-- what is the problem-- bAC which is pink does not need a heater the Carnuba Red does-

walker77
07-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Its leading big time!

RobS
07-12-2011, 03:42 PM
Rob, could i talk you into taking a look at som of my bullets? Maybe you will see something i dont.

PM sent your direction