PDA

View Full Version : Saeco lubrisizer alignment

Irascible
07-08-2011, 03:22 PM
I have a Saeco lubrisizer which worked fine until I took off the bottom linkage so that I could nozefirst size some l-o-n-g 40-65 bullets. Now, everytime I change dies, I have to realign the noze punch to go evenly into the sizing die. I even had a machinist make a long straight bullet punch to fit in a clean .357 die so that I could insert it all the way in and then tighten the linkage. It then works fine in that die, but I have to re-adjust again for the next die! What the heck did I do wrong? Any suggestions, other than donating it to you or returning it back to the factory?

Le Loup Solitaire
07-09-2011, 07:28 PM
The linkage on the Saeco Lubrisizer-once set should work on all Saeco sizer dies. That's the way it comes from the factory. The bottom segment should be level with the top and both should be plumb and square with the guide rods. If those conditions are met then there is nothing more that has to be considered. The "vertical rectangle" that is formed should be dead square with the sizing die and the top punch should then go straight down to do the job. If all the geometry is ok then there should not be any reason for misalignment....unless something else is not right, like a bent guide rod or some other defect. The Lubriszer is a good one and operates within good tolerances but it is not a "Swiss Watch" I have disassembled both of mine and put them back together again observing "the correct geometry' and have had no troubles. Your machinist can easily do this with his tools, so there is no need to ship it back to Saeco for whatever holy-mysterio withcraft process they may claim has to be done by them....unless of course there is some defect that requires the changing of a part. LLS

PacMan
07-11-2011, 11:02 AM
Maybe i am confused but why did you remove the bottom linkage? You should have been able to just remove the return pin and its guide assembly and been able to get max. clearance.
I am also assuming that you are pushing the bullet all the way thru. and use another bullet to push the first thru ans so on. If so i would sugest you use a short rod of proper dia. to completely push the first one clear befor sizing another. Pushing two thur puts a lot of strain on the sizer and you may have bent somthing.

As far as allignmet goes i would first make sure that the nuts on the guide rods are adjusted properly.

Dwight

walltube
07-11-2011, 03:29 PM
There is something about the guide rods needing correct alignment for proper operation.

Post Katrina I completely dis-assembled a SAECO lube-sizer that was subjected to a 3+ wk. salt soak, plus months of neglect. In an effort to "revive" it I set about a cosmetic and mechanical reconstruction. I was somewhat successful. The dang thing would bind near top of stroke and the top punch was in dire mis-aligment with the die.

A call to SAECO customer service rep told me that guide rod to frame geometry is crucial for proper operation. Well now...when I related the Katrina thing to him, service rep declined any responsibility to fix things to proper spec. I agreed with him and set about to do best as I may.

If you removed ALL the linkage:
Firstly, there is a top and bottom to the rods, get them right side up.The Right rod must be returned to the Right side and same applies to Left side. If your machine has a dentent in the right rod for the spring loaded ball (this keeps the handle in the 'up' position) all the more easy to align. With top & bottom retaining nuts fairly loosened, slowly twist each rod in turn as you operate the handle up & down. You should then see the top punch greet the die in proper (or better) alignment. Any felt binding should also lessen or disappear. It worked for me.

Wishing you success,
Wt.

Irascible
07-11-2011, 07:57 PM
Hmm twisting the rods, I'll have to go try that. Thanks for the answers guys, I'll go play some more.