PDA

View Full Version : Lee carbide die: cleaning...

Etienne Brule
01-08-2007, 07:48 PM
Hi,

I am new to this forum that I read since many months.

I just got Lee carbide dies.

I am wondering:

- do I have to make an initial cleaning, and how ?

- do I have to make cleaning after use ?

- do I have to oil them (if so, with what ?)

Thank you for your attention.

Etienne Brule.

mooman76
01-08-2007, 08:00 PM
It would be good to clean. I must admit I usually don't but I have taken them appart and they usually have some grit and left over machining residue. Light oil wouldn't hurt! Every once in awhile you have to clean them especially the bullet seating die because it gets bullet lube residue in it. That is if you are using cast bullets!

Etienne Brule
01-08-2007, 08:53 PM
Hi,

With what product should I clean and oil ?

Any risk for the O-rings ?

Thank you for the attention.

Etienne Brűlé

Bret4207
01-08-2007, 08:58 PM
Etienne- Welcome to our group. You can clean the die with any solvent like mineral spirits, kerosene, lighter fluid or something like WD-40, PB Blaster, Kroil, even good hot soapy water. Take it apart, clean, oil lightly and it's done. Same thing with the rest of the dies in any set. It's always a good idea to do this as dirt and grit sometimes find there way into the dies.

heavycrimp
01-09-2007, 01:33 AM
Etienne-

I blast mine out with spray brake cleaner, blow 'em out wiyh compressed air, then spray a light coat of Lyman's spray case lube & allow to air dry. The brake cleaner won't attack the o-rings or else a lot of calipers & wheel cylinders would be failing. ;o) It works pretty well for me.

Lee
01-09-2007, 01:38 AM
The carbide won't rust or rot, of course. Cleaning is a good idea. Carbide is harder than steel, it is also more brittle than steel. So, don't drop the die, don't force the die. If you do you might crack the carbide. Not a good thing. You WILL(!) enjoy reloading..........................Lee:)

Marshal Kane
01-13-2007, 02:22 AM
I blast mine out with spray brake cleaner, blow 'em out wiyh compressed air, then spray a light coat of Lyman's spray case lube & allow to air dry.

I just spray new dies with brake cleaner and let them air dry. My climate is dry enough so that I can just box and store them after that. It's a good idea to give new dies a cleaning before use to remove any polishing grit or oils. Some of the leftover polishing grit can actually cause scratches to the carbide.

Etienne Brule
01-13-2007, 09:23 AM
Great answers.

Will do.

Thank you for your attention.

Etienne Brűlé

Smitty
01-18-2007, 04:19 AM
It is the last die for seating & tapered or rolled crimp (depends upon what you are reloading). Should be cleaned most often.

I have "Dunk it" by Slide & Cylinder shop so have a bit in a small plastic container. Dump it in there for 24 hrs (actually had a really filthy one, that was jammed, & soaked it for three days & no damage) then put the compresser/blower on it & it has blowen out enough to where it is easy to do final seperating to cleaning with Hoppe's or what ever & a bit of lube.