PDA

View Full Version : Second scrapyard trip a success!

Salmon-boy
07-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Ok, the last scrapyard trip I took in a bunch of mixed brass that had been collecting for some time, and walked out with 200lbs of wheel weights for a net outlay of $19..

This week, 45+ lbs of copper that I'd been scrounging in my spare time bought me 175 lbs of very soft pipe lead and one large block of what looks to be high-antimony lead. Net outlay on this trip - $14.

I think I can up my rate of practice on the .45 now... :guntootsmiley:

mold maker
07-08-2011, 01:59 PM
So for .088 a lb you scored 375lb alloy.
Way to go.
Some have said, "It's not worth the trouble".
HA HA HA

Salmon-boy
07-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Ok, so processing 175lbs of scrap pipe and flashing into ingots in one day is a chore without enough ingot moulds... I'm gonna have to do some more welding if I'm gonna keep this up....

I will say though, the Tinsel Fairy is a cold hearted mistress. Let your guard down once and you're looking around saying "What just happened?" Once the damage report is taken, picking up every last one of all those little shiny bits here and there is such a chore!

One word of advice... Do NOT get complacent about what you're doing!!! Wet concrete floors and molten lead do NOT mix well. I'm a moron and got what I deserved.

btroj
07-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Yeah, molten lead is a harsh teacher, isn't it?

Echo
07-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Ok, so processing 175lbs of scrap pipe and flashing into ingots in one day is a chore without enough ingot moulds... I'm gonna have to do some more welding if I'm gonna keep this up....

Use Coke cans - cut the top off with a can opener, rinse 'em out to get rid of the last drop of sugar water, make sure they are dry (tinsel fairy again), and they will hold about 9 lbs of pure each. It's what I use to ingotize my pure. Cheap, easy to store, easy to strip when needed.

sig2009
07-09-2011, 11:47 AM
I just got done melting down 200 lbs of range lead!