PDA

View Full Version : 32-20 Werks as Good now as 1873

DOUBLEJK
06-05-2005, 05:40 PM
Got a quick chance last night just before dark to take a peek at my corn crib....sure nuff....was a couple a Masked Bandits helpin' themselves ta my corn...
From about 35yds. I lined up the sights on the new Browning 53 in 32-20 on the one facin' me's center chest....squeezed the trigger n sent a Saeco 120gr. boolit his way....Whack....it hit him real hard n he instantly did bout 6 flips n lay still....the other marauder beat a real hasty exit stage right into the weeds where I couldn't see him...:)

http://www.geocities.com/doublejk2/Coon32201.JPG

xgboy
06-05-2005, 06:26 PM
John,

Nice shots (ballistic and photographic)!

Not to let you off easily, what are the specifics of your load? I am always alert for load data and experiences relating to the Browning 53's, having acquired one NIB a couple years ago. I've wanted to install a 1/4 minute receiver sight, but have hesitated to alter it from the original (except improving on that six+ pound factory trigger pull).

It got me a bit hooked on the 32WCF and I had to trade for a mint Marlin 1894CL (1980s issue). Both are great little carbines (short rifles?), but the Marlin can't compete with the fit and finish of the Browning. Good to learn the Marlin is being re-issued. Now if I can just find (relatively) tack-driving cast loads for them, in the 1500fps range, for plinking and small game. So far, I've experimemted only with the Lyman 311008 (mostly with Lyman No. 2) and with some (now obsolete) Bull-X moly-coated. I'm looking for an inch, or less, at 50M. So far, none of my cast has performed nearly as well as jjjjaaa..., uh, you know, the other kind.

Suggestions anyone?

DOUBLEJK
06-05-2005, 06:41 PM
The load used was the Saeco #322 sized .313 n lubed with FWFL seated in R-P brass to a O.A.L. of 1.590" lit with a CCI400 sparkin' 4.1Gr of AA#7....gives right at 1170fps but groups er in the 2" range at 50yds....good nuff fer close varmits tho...I just aquired this un' this week so have not had long to werk loads up fer it yet....Really like it tho....might just oust my 92 in 44mag as the truck gun....use it mostly on coon's skunk's n feral dogs around our place....the 32-20 sure is pleasant to shoot n carries nuff umph fer the stuff I need it to do....

C1PNR
06-06-2005, 03:04 PM
xgboy,

Also give a try to 311 416 with either 11 to 12 H 4227 or 4.5 Unique. Both work well in my '92. They work so well I have trouble getting it back from my son whenever we take it out.