PDA

View Full Version : Hornady shellplate, 223 rem and 32 mag

Fishman
07-07-2011, 10:45 PM
I was wondering if anyone else was loading 223 and 32 mag ammo using a Hornady Projector press? The shellplate for the 223 family of cartridges (16) listed is different than the 32 S&W (36), despite the rim diameters being almost identical. Lee uses the same shellplate for example. I figure that one or the other may work for both and hope somebody has tried it.

Also, are there any other cross-overs on commonly reloaded rounds that would save me and others from having to buy a bunch of different shellplates?

For example, I do know that shellplate 1 which is for the 308 and 30/06 family also works just fine for 45 acp on my machine. Hornady lists shellplate 45 as recommended.

Rusty W
07-07-2011, 11:11 PM
I have a LNL AP press and have been loading 32long, Mag, & 327 fed mag, with the #16 shellplate. I have ran into a small issue with the cartridge lineing up with the sizing die on occasion. Sometimes I have to tilt the mouth to line up with the sizing die. It doesn't happen all the time, I suspect there isn't enough slop/clearance with the case head to the plate. It doesn't bother me, I just tilt to line up and go on loading.

Fishman
07-08-2011, 01:44 AM
Hmmm. Good information Rusty W. I wonder if the 36 plate would let the 223 brass do the same. Since they are bottleneck, initial die alignment might be less critical. I'm going to check out rim thickness on both to see if there is a clue there.

Thing is that both cartridges are of high importance with a volume of hundreds each desired otherwise I'd just get the right one and hope it worked on the other.

Lloyd Smale
07-08-2011, 07:32 AM
with the new lnl presses the #1 plate doesnt work well at all with acps. You need the #45 plate for them.