PDA

View Full Version : I just bought my 11 year old a henry 22

mpbarry1
07-07-2011, 03:52 PM
We went shooting about a month ago. My youngest is my shooting buddy and loves to go with me (she also serves as my automatic case feeder for my 550). A cousin brought an old win 94 22 mag and two boxes of shells. We were shooting our 45s and kylie latched onto that lever gun and wouldnt let go until all his expensive 22 mag shells were laying in a big mound. I knew we had to get her her own rifle, although I was looking at a chipmonk. I got to thinking that she has already shot more than most adults, so why not get a gun she will keep forever. The henry felt pretty smooth and I did the old impulse buy. I think we will both be pretty happy for her birthday. :)

Lonerider
07-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Way to go Dad! I plurchased a Henery H001...it has the smoothest action I have ever expeirence....even better then marlin. My is pretty accurate also....gophers with in 50 yds (for me) where becoming borring to shoot at. I would dearly love to have a marlin 39, may change my mind. But my henry only cost $150 bucks at a farm/ranch store and I am having a ball with it.

I only wished I could have gotten into shooting before my kids had grown up and moved.

What you did for your little girl...will reap hughe benefits in the furture. Good job!

Lonerider

Baron von Trollwhack
07-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Try to get her into marksmanship training good for her level. If she jumps in well and follows up in later school years, there is a good bet that if she becomes reasonably competitive she can find a Scholarship for college based on the shooting discipline. Good for you both !

BvT.

Bula
07-07-2011, 04:44 PM
I purchased one for my boy at 11 too. I was in a Sportmans Warehouse to pick up a gun safe, and made the mistake of asking to handle one of'em. Accurate, cheap to feed, smooth cycling and fun. Really nice Black walnut stocks too. I really like the Marlin 39's, but for the money, it's tough to beat these little Henrys.

WILCO
07-07-2011, 07:38 PM
I think we will both be pretty happy for her birthday. :)

Glad to hear it! Those rifles are great for the money.

frank martinez
07-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Don't forget to mention the company is one of the best at supporting their products. I had a minor issue with a stock on my 22 and called to ask about the problem. Within a few minutes I had a promise of a new stock which arrived to my door within a weeks time. NO CHARGES!
Hard to beat that kind of customer support.
I have recently ordered one of their magnum 22's and plan on a big bore as well.
Frank

Matthew 25
07-08-2011, 01:35 AM
Good job. Whoever invented the 22 lr gets a gold star. I picked up a little Henry on a trade not long ago, it's a fine rifle. My oldest is 7, so the lever is surely too much right now. I'm glad you skipped the Chipmunk, they don't seem that refined. I actually bought a 22 barrel for my TC contender, bought a wood stock and cut 2 inches off of it. Now that's a fine little single shot my kids can handle. It's a great sight to see your 7 year old girl shooting a group.

mpbarry1
07-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Kylie got the Henry, I got the smiles. :)

starmac
07-11-2011, 01:45 PM
I bought a chipmunk for my girls when they were 8 and 9, it seemed like they outgrew it in a matter of weeks. It was passed down to my son and the same thing happened with him.

Just A Hunter
07-11-2011, 01:51 PM
My Dad bought an Ithaca over 35 years ago. There were developed by the guy who started Henry rifles. Basically the same gun. My brother has it now and likes it so much he bought two of the New Henry's for his boys.

Tom-ADC
07-11-2011, 06:46 PM
Henry is IMHO a great first rifle of a youngster and even a old guy like me.
My grandson is 25 now and still my shooting buddy. I did teach both of my girls to shoot the oldest got pretty good at skeet and loved my M1 carbine. Happy Times :mrgreen:

dk17hmr
07-11-2011, 08:18 PM
I have a Henry my mom and dad gave me for Christmas one year...its very accurate and great to carry in the field rabbit hunting.

Freightman
07-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Baught all my grandkids one, years ago great investment.

cajun shooter
07-13-2011, 11:21 AM
The best thing that I like about the henry 22 Lever Action that I bought was the fact that it fires all the 22's. It shoots 22 lr, 22 long and 22 short. When I told that to the owner of the Pawn Shop he said oh hell wait a minute, I need more than the $65 that I charged you. I laughed and said Done Deal my friend. It is a tube fed lever action that has Brklyn, NY Made in USA. It even cycles the CCI 22CB Long which I shoot in my backyard and my neighbors don't hear it.