PDA

View Full Version : identify rifle?

Rio Grande
07-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Can anyone identify the rifle the 'gentleman' in the back with the slouched hat is holding?
This pic is from Houston in 1970.
During an ensuing riot these folks found out that even in urban areas their shotguns, M1 carbines and .22lr rifles were no match for the Police Dept's scoped hi-power rifles and many of their weapons were subsequently found under houses and in the weeds where they were hurriedly ditched.
'Slouched Hat's' rifle would have reach and power, but it is unlikely he ever fired it in practice at any distance.

Multigunner
07-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Schmidt Rubin?

PS
I once saw a Schmidt Rubin converted to a small bore shotgun, it came from the Carribean. An uncle kept it on his boat.

Stevie
07-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Schmidt Rubin?

Not a good pic to identify guns...but an early Schmidt Rubin is my guess...K11 or older version long-rifle.

scb
07-07-2011, 02:08 PM
The shape of the pistol grip kinda reminds me of a Norwegian Krag but it's really hard to tell.

madsenshooter
07-07-2011, 02:29 PM
Upon enlargement I do believe I see a ring type safety such as seen on the Swiss rifles.

Multigunner
07-07-2011, 02:32 PM
The shape of the pistol grip kinda reminds me of a Norwegian Krag but it's really hard to tell.

That was actually my first impression, but the proportions look more like the early Schmidt Rubin. That and having seen the shotgun conversion many years ago which would fit in with the shotguns more commonly available to civilians in such former colonial regions.

I wish I could remember more about that shotgun conversion. The converted rifle was kept as a shark gun, the boat a 40's wooden hulled rum runner with massive engines , something Humphey Bogart or Ernest Hemingway would have looked right at home behind the wheel of.
The converted rifle retained its full length military stock, and had a huge cutts compensater added to the muzzle. Bore size would have been limited to what the action could accomodate. I think he had brass shells for this gun.

Shot Shell conversions of obsolete military rifles were once fairly common in third world and colonial regions.

Rio Grande
07-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Schmidt-Rubin? A long way from Switzerland. It does look like it.
About that same time i got a job as a kid cleaning old guns in a pawn/gun/resale shop in a run-down neighborhood. Saw a lot of old surplus guns. Just stuffed in old wood barrels in the back rooms.
The owner had an actual old demilled Lewis Gun nailed down on the roof for advertising. Saw a few Mauser 11mm 74/81 rifles, lots of .303's, Tokarevs, etc.
M1 carbines, in good shape for $70 or so.

wiljen
07-07-2011, 08:38 PM
I'm going with schmidt-rubin 1911 with the bolt open. With the bolt closed, the ring should be much farther forward.

Multigunner
07-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Schmidt-Rubin? A long way from Switzerland. It does look like it.
About that same time i got a job as a kid cleaning old guns in a pawn/gun/resale shop in a run-down neighborhood. Saw a lot of old surplus guns. Just stuffed in old wood barrels in the back rooms.
The owner had an actual old demilled Lewis Gun nailed down on the roof for advertising. Saw a few Mauser 11mm 74/81 rifles, lots of .303's, Tokarevs, etc.
M1 carbines, in good shape for $70 or so.

You can never tell what you'll find in backwater pestholes. The rifle most likely was once hung on the wall of some plantation owner, and may have been in that country for 80 years before that character got ahold of it. Probably ten rounds of ammo for it in the entire contry for that matter.

Mannlicher Carcano rifles have shown up in the hands of a few rebell fractions in Africa in recent times, ammo costing an arm and a leg but the rifles seem to be in good condition, left there when the Italians invaded eithiopia before WW2, or working their way South from stockpiles of captured WW2 weapons found stored in caves in North Africa back in the 80's.
The 6.5 ammo found in storage in Africa is the main cause of catastrohic failure of a few Carcanos which gave them a bad rep for decades. The Italian Powder was a form of Nobel's ballistite that broke down in high temperatures after a few years.

Theres the earlier 1889 Schmidt Rubin with much longer receiver, but these have a straight grip stock.

MtGun44
07-08-2011, 12:25 AM
Another vote for 1911 Swiss.

Bill

WILCO
07-08-2011, 10:32 PM
I kinda thought it looked like a 91/30, but I'm not a professional.

plmitch
07-08-2011, 11:04 PM
A canadian ross 1905 mkii?

dominicfortune00
07-11-2011, 08:09 PM
A Swiss 1911 rifle.

Chicken Thief
07-11-2011, 08:44 PM
M1917?
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/1288254623.jpg

Schmidt-Rubin m1911
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/1911.jpg

bydand
07-12-2011, 05:05 AM
I don't think so. More likely a single shot shotgun or rifle

bandit7.5
07-14-2011, 10:02 PM
An uncut 1911 Schmidt-Rubin, when you use a magnifier you can see the stacking bar and the boltring is set in the safe position.

mroliver77
07-18-2011, 05:28 PM
He's a loooong talllll Texan,
He wears a big whiiiat hat..
Well, people look at him and say
Err-umm, err-aah, is that your hat?

Jay

Surplus Shooter
07-27-2011, 05:42 PM
I am going with a Swiss k/11 by the stock profile and barrel length.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
08-02-2011, 07:50 PM
I cant see to tell what the rifle is but the fella with the single shot int he center of the pic , notice the screw driver and cigarette at his feet like he just set them down to take the picture

and look at the way he holds it , makes you thing maybe it doesn't lock up or it's half taken apart

interesting times , what was the riot about and what did sitting in front of the building with a gun help