PDA

View Full Version : 30-30 Brass?

LIMPINGJ
07-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Has anyone used PRVI or Federal brass and care to share what you think of either? I have always used Rem. or Win. but local shop has a better price on the Federal and PRVI and I need to resupply.

northmn
07-07-2011, 02:12 PM
I have used quite a bit of Federal with as good of results as any. Big thing with 30-30 brass is that you either have to use the same brand or trim them overall to length or both as they vary a bit in length.

DP

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-07-2011, 02:33 PM
i was given federal brass , i have found no problems with it , only thing was that they guy who gave it to me used RP brass

the lee lock stud and cutter is great gets all you brass the same length every time and are only a few dollars per caliber , i chuck mine up in my cordless drill and i can buzz thru the brass .

um i mean it is awful stuff pm me and i will send you my address just send any federal my way

Baron von Trollwhack
07-07-2011, 04:33 PM
The Privi and FC brasses are both good.

Do not automatically trim brass as some advise. Measure case length first of a sample of your brass by brand large enough to give you a good idea of shorts per 100. You are not likely to find overlong cases or even lengths on spec.

Often new bulk WW or Rem, for example may vary by 6 thousandths. Trim so the shortest are no more than about 2 thousandths short This aids uniformity of crimp, a major cast boolit factor for 30-30. Pay attention to how case neck hardness apears to be. I find Rem cases to be softer than WW and Starline harder still. Anneal for uniformity.

Match prep cases by the group, you will see big pocket depth and flashhole differences in most lots.

Now if pie plate groups are your goal, don't bother, jusy load and shoot. BvT