PDA

View Full Version : Which Caliber?

k8bor
07-06-2011, 08:48 PM
The last couple years I've done almost all my shooting with my 1895CB in .45-70 using the Lee 405gr over 62 grains of compressed Goex. With the Williams peep and bead front sight I can regularly shoot inside 3" at a 100 yds. with this load and have killed deer drt with it. I have no idea what the fps is, but it kills with authority. I have a permit for black bear here in Michigan this year and it's what I'll hunt with.

I cast my own soft lead bullets and use my own bp lube mix. When I shoot I swab the bore every 3-5 shots with a patch wet with 50/50 ballistol/water and a dry one, then back to shooting. I finish my day with the last swab job and always end up with a nice clean bore.

I'm in my 60's and have enjoyed shooting black powder so much that I've decided to go the whole deal and will order a Shiloh Sharps in the not too distant future. My problem is which caliber to order. I love the .45-70, but am tempted to order a classic Sharps caliber such as .45-90 or even a .45-110. Am I letting myself in for something to avoid? I've never loaded these long toms before, but read articles about people running into fouling problems etc.

What to do? I'm an experienced shooter, caster and reloader, so none of these things seem too daunting for me, but just wonder if there are any longer cartridges that seem to be more shooter friendly than others.

I haven't posted on this site for awhile, and I apologize. I've been busy with grandchildren and work (fortunately) lately. Any comments will be appreciated.

hydraulic
07-06-2011, 09:57 PM
My Shiloh Long Range Express is a .45-70. I have always had a hankering for a .45-100, but haven't done anything about it-yet. I'm 73 and attend as many long range matches as I can get to; Alliance and Quigley, for the most part. The .45-70 does everything I need it to do, and having had to watch expenses most of my life, I hesitate to start paying $1 each for brass, and only getting 70 cartridges to a $25 lb. of powder . Of course, my kids will know how to get rid of any of my savings that are left over when I'm gone, but old habits are hard to break. I load the RCBS 530 grain bullet, 72 grains of compressed 1 1/2 Swiss with Emmets lube, and I can usually get off about 20 rounds just blow tubing. Over the sticks I can keep most of them in the 9 ring. My rifle weighs over 13 lbs so recoil is negligable with the .45-70, but it is probably a different story with another 30 grains of powder. I guess I can't give you any good advice, except to buy what you want, not what someone tells you to buy.

mustanggt
07-06-2011, 10:48 PM
Since you have alot of experience casting and reloading you are ahead of the game in that matter. You also have experience with black so that is a plus also. The brass is alot more expensive for the longer cases. It's up to you if you are up to the challenge and don't mind the expense or more recoil then jump in with both feet and enjoy your swim!!!

Don McDowell
07-06-2011, 11:08 PM
Just a little food for thought, the 45 2.1 (45-70) was the standard 45 caliber sharps chambering, except for the creedmoor guns the standard for those was the 2.4, anything else cost extra..

Lead pot
07-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Go with what you feel you need and what you want to do with it.
I have 7 Sharps rifles in 6 different calibers from the .40-65 to the .50-90 and they all shoot very good all the way to 1200 yards.
Like Hydraulic said the .45-70 will do it just fine and my Daughter shoots the .45-70 very good too.
The thing with the .45-70 you can get it to where the .45-2.4 (90) is with using a bullet seated out a little if you feel the need for the extra power but it's not necessary.

NickSS
07-08-2011, 07:13 AM
I have several rifles in different calibers and have done a lot of target shooting with black powder as well as some hunting. A 45-70 was my first choice and I have more rifles in that caliber than in all the rest of my single shots. I have them for different reasons some have light short barrels for hunting and carrying around others are like my Shiloh Long range express in 45-70 that I use for long range match shooting but would not want to carry it around hunting. I have owned a 45 2.4 inch (45-90) and a 45 3.25 inch (45-120) and they are both gone down the road. You can load a 45-70 and a 45-90 on a standard press but some of the longer cartridges (especially the 3.25 inch long ones) may require a press with a longer ram than a lot of them have. Also brass is a lot more expensive for the longer shells.

I currently have rifles in 38-55, 38-56, 40-65, 45-70, 5650 Spencer and 50-70 Gov. The 38 calibers I use for short range target shooting, the 40-65 I use for metalic Silhouettes and the 45-70 I use for everything and the 50-70 is my big game hunting rifle.

runnin lead
07-08-2011, 11:21 PM
Unless you are planing shooting 1,000 yards the 45-70 will do just fine.
The 45-70 can also be made to work for 1,000.
The brass for the 45-70 is a lot cheaper & it is E Zer on the sholder & wallet with powder .
What ever you do decide on, I am sure you will have fun.

de KG0BW

semtav
07-12-2011, 07:48 PM
just wonder if there are any longer cartridges that seem to be more shooter friendly than others.

40-82

Artful
07-13-2011, 12:58 AM
375 bigbore or 38-55 is easier on the shoulder than 45-70 - accurate too.

StrawHat
07-17-2011, 07:17 AM
The more I shoot my Trapdoors, the more I like the 50-70 over the 45-70. granted, I am not shooting over 300 yards and I am not shooting paper targets but the 50 seems easier to load for and hits are easier to detect in the field. It might be worth finding someone in your area with one and trying it out.

Brass is a bit harder to find but once gotten, lasts as long as 45-70 brass. Powder, lead and primers cost the same. Just an option.

bigted
07-21-2011, 02:55 PM
food for thought . i also was and am an experienced loader for many years. this did nothing to prepare me for the fun n frustration of loading for accuracy in my 5 45-70's i got hunting accuracy rite out of the bag...2.5 to 3.5 inches at 100 yards...however the fine points required for pinpoint accuracy have so far eluded me in this game. i have many things to try yet and i know that the end result will pay huge dividends but the trail is narrow and sometimes you...er me....take side trails that seem to push me back several steps.

i am with you here and i would report that before going to an exotic cartridge id get a 45-70 first and wring the accuracy out with that before going to the funner sounding cartridges.

you will never be discouraged with a quality sharps or roller or my choice...the hi-wall. these rifles have charisma and shuztma that will allow the handling and fondling of them giving you the chosen era with just a few minutes of time. they are attention grabbers from the git at the range and then when the plume of powder smoke drifts over the range...you will be the hero or the zero of the range for that day...every time i go it changes back n forth with the hero/zero thing...depending on who is present. seems like surprisingly...the younger crowd is more receptive in my experience when the clouds of bp smoke roll out from the line-up of shooters.

whatever caliber you choose...be for-warned that the game of accuracy chasing will lead you down a very slippery slope...you have been warned and the amount of self control you possess will definitely weigh in on the amount of cash you can keep in your wallet in this fun game.

have fun and embrace every second you can living in " THESE GOOD OL DAYS" !!!

k8bor
07-22-2011, 08:25 PM
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies.

I do think I'll opt for the .45-70. It's become my cartridge of choice for the last 5 years, both for the many plusses and overcoming the minuses it presents. (football trajectory, etc.)

It's obvious all you guys are experienced with these things, and I'm a bit jealous but even more anxious than before.

I'm going to order one very pleasing to the eye. I get a lot of pleasure out of just shooting my marlin. When I'm hunting with it in the Michigan woods I can almost hear the wagons and horses moving along the two-tracks. These later years mine is not just a hunt, it's also a trip back in time with the rifle. I can only imagine what the Sharps will be like.

I'm extremely lucky in that I live in a rural (woods) area and have a 100 yard range right out my back door. I usually shoot a couple times a week whether it's summer or winter. I'm a lucky man.

Thank you for the advice. I'll keep you informed of my choice.

StrawHat
07-23-2011, 06:30 AM
...however the fine points required for pinpoint accuracy have so far eluded me in this game. i have many things to try yet and i know that the end result will pay huge dividends but the trail is narrow and sometimes you...er me....take side trails that seem to push me back several steps...

i am with you here and i would report that before going to an exotic cartridge id get a 45-70 first and wring the accuracy out with that before going to the funner sounding cartridges.

...these rifles have charisma and shuztma that will allow the handling and fondling of them giving you the chosen era with just a few minutes of time. they are attention grabbers from the git at the range and then when the plume of powder smoke drifts over the range...you will be the hero or the zero of the range for that day...every time i go it changes back n forth with the hero/zero thing...depending on who is present. seems like surprisingly...the younger crowd is more receptive in my experience when the clouds of bp smoke roll out from the line-up of shooters...

whatever caliber you choose...be for-warned that the game of accuracy chasing will lead you down a very slippery slope...you have been warned and the amount of self control you possess will definitely weigh in on the amount of cash you can keep in your wallet in this fun game...

All good, sound advice. As for elusive accuracy, define what you want, go after it, obtain it and be happy with it. At least for a while. IF you change your accuracy goals, that is when it can become all consuming. I was a handgun competitior and chased accuracy to the point shooting became more work than pleasure. When I quit competition and just started plinking again, shooting became more fun. Now, I have a goal for each firearm or cartridge and do not try to overreach either that capability or my own. Trying to get the last .001" in a group is fun but so is obtaining hunting accuracy. Enjoy the sport and keep us posted.

felix
07-23-2011, 08:31 AM
StrawHat, I keep staring at your post, over and over. Extremely well said. If everyone was taught that from grade school on, and it was reinforced daily, it seems most of us would have obtained confidence as being genuine contributors to the human race in some really needed aspect pertaining to life rather than just being takers, realized or not. A good teacher will help students illuminate and realize their innate "wants" on an individual basis rather than collective. ... felix

bigted
07-23-2011, 01:37 PM
felix...now the waxing poetic comes?? lol. i for one and i know a huge bunch have as well...have found the pleasure zone in shooting. whether it is getting moa + at 1000 yards or my personal favorite...busting rocks in an old quarry ... the shooting is key to being one with the fog so to speak. i get as much heart salving pleasure from handling and walking thru the brush with my vintage looking rifles as i do shooting an animal with them...to say nothing of the many small campfires i have shared with my rifles and a hot "boiled" cup of campfire coffee commonly called cowboy coffee i hear.

im still on the search for the amount of accuracy i desire but have not fallen into the work aspect of doing so...did this with the motorcycle arena and ruined a great sport for myself...

would rather be in the aspen and birch thickets in dead winter [ when the quick silver is way below the zero mark ] ...hovering around a warming fire and sipping scalding coffee as i fondle or just gaze at my chozen rifle for the outting as i recall the stories of the iron men that tamed and settled this Alaska land when velcro closures and vibram soles as well as the 'winter gear' now available were covered with leather and fleece with the wooly's to back up the fight for warmth in the sub-zero conditions that strand us newbys here inside the house for months at a time.

wow got me going i guess...at any rate Dave...i hope you have as much fun with this bp game as i do and i look forward to seeing and hearing about your new acquisition and the fine experiences you will undoubtedly have with it. i think the 45-70 will serve your needs very well but i also share your longing for a more exotic round and my next will be such...dont know which one yet but the 50's are hot on my mind so prolly there abouts somewheres

StrawHat
07-29-2011, 07:24 AM
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies.

I do think I'll opt for the .45-70. It's become my cartridge of choice for the last 5 years, both for the many plusses and overcoming the minuses it presents. (football trajectory, etc.)

Thank you for the advice. I'll keep you informed of my choice.

And here I think of the 45-70 as having a flatter trajectory!