PDA

View Full Version : lube for bp 45 Colt

Aaron
07-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Shot some hp 45 Colt loads for the first time yesterday. I used SPG lube, but the cylinder started binding after only one cylinder. What is the best way to add lube without using a different bullet?

Thanks

Aaron

Dragoon 45
07-06-2011, 09:13 PM
I use the Lyman 454190 bullet cast from whatever I have laying around, 36-38 grns of GOEX 3F, .030 fiber wad, and SPG lube; and have never had any problems shooting SASS. Never had to punch the bore or do any cleaning till after the match is over and no leading problems. The load cycles through my Marlin 1894 and Ruger Vaquero's with no problems.

What bullet are you using? The bullet needs large lube grooves in order to hold enough lube.

Shot some hp 45 Colt loads for the first time yesterday. I used SPG lube, but the cylinder started binding after only one cylinder. What is the best way to add lube without using a different bullet?

Thanks

Aaron

SharpsShooter
07-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Did you grease the cylinder pin? My Ruger Old Model Blackhawk will digest 50 or so before slowing down. My load is a 260gr Keith SWC lubed with NASA over 35gr of Goex Cartridge.

SS

Aaron
07-07-2011, 12:00 AM
I was using the old BD 45 group buy mold from a few years ago. I think it is mostly an issue where the groove does not hold enough lube. I did not think about lubing the base pin. Might be a big part of the problem...

Thanks

Aaron

missionary5155
07-07-2011, 06:30 AM
Good morning
Had the same problems with 41 Colt. A simple remidy until you can locate some large groove boolits is to smear extra lube on the boolit noses before loading them into the revolver chambers. Took care of my needs. I still do that with my 44-40 SRC down here when loading 3F.
Mike in Peru

cajun shooter
07-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Aaron, You should measure the amount of Cylinder to barrel spacing that you have. You may use a standard automotive point flat gauge. The ideal spacing is in the .007 range. If it is set at .004 or less then that is one cause. The lubing of the cylinder bushing is important if it is removable and also the base pin. I use Mobil One Synthetic grease on both and my revolvers have shot 6 stages and still turn like the first one. You did not say what your load is but the straight walled 45 Colt has a lot of blow back. The lower the load the more blow back as the case does not seal the chamber. If you up your loads and anneal your cases it will go a long way to allowing you to shoot all you want bind free. The cylinder gap and pin lubing comes first. Most SASS gunsmiths will always set up BP guns with the larger gap. Long Hunter has done two sets of USFA's for me with this gap setting. The original bullet for the Colt 45 was the Lyman 454190. You need to slug your barrel and make sure your bullet is fitted to the barrel also. If your bullet will not hold at least one grain of lube then you need to change.

Baron von Trollwhack
07-17-2011, 05:10 PM
Prepare and lube your pistol as if it were a C & B pistol: see the M/L forim for this very kind of question. BvT

Grapeshot
07-25-2011, 08:37 PM
What bullet are you using now? Other than using a greese cookie with a decrease in powder is the only thing I can think of at this time.