PDA

View Full Version : Back to wheelguns only

Jim
07-06-2011, 08:02 AM
I never have been a big fan of automatic pistols. I don't find fault with autos, I'm just not an auto kinda' guy. I think I've owned three in my life time.

I recently traded my Ruger P345 for a snub nose .38 Spl. The auto had started growing and gaining weight and I was finding it uncomfortable to carry.

I guess I've just always been a revolver fan at heart and so, now I'm back to all revolvers. I'm satisfied with the trade I made and content to own just revolvers.

imashooter2
07-06-2011, 08:06 AM
I know how you feel. I have a few autos and they're very nice. But when I open my safe, 95% of the time my hand falls on a round gun.

richhodg66
07-06-2011, 08:20 AM
I'm the same way. For a CCH, autos are kind of nice for the flat profile, but for the most part, I much prefer revolvers.

theperfessor
07-06-2011, 08:24 AM
I'm old. I'm tired. I hate picking up brass. I like my wheel guns. 'Nuff said.

missionary5155
07-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Good morning
First auto I ever shot was the caliber .45 1911A1 in tank training... It was a worst shooting handgun I ever fired. Rattled like a tank track on Ft. Hood shale. Most accurate handgun I have ever owned (minus contenders) is my Dan Wesson caliber .41 mag 8 ". For practice I used to head shoot the steel turkeys (150 meters).
Down here I had a 1911A1 Remington Rand for CC and a 5 shot 38... I have to say I carried and still carry the 5 shot daily and have no regrets. Wheelguns are just too simple and easy to use and give me all the happiness I need. I do at times carry a model 10-3 for desert walking when out with the 44-40 SRC. But it seems anymore it is only a revolver I go to.
A quick check about the house turns up 5 revolvers and just 1 auto.. a Walther caliber .22 long barrel.
Mike in Peru

songdog53
07-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Have number of 1911's and have found love shooting them but i have come full circle now and back to my S&W whel guns. I enjoy both but when push comes to shove just shooting at paper and toting on my place comes back to a S&W Model 66 loaded with heavy load 38 spl's. Plus picking up brass has become a pain older i get.

ColColt
07-06-2011, 05:52 PM
I've been awfully fickle about autos vs revolvers. The first pistol I ever shot fwas an old Remington-Rand while in the service. I've ended up owning about 4-5 1911's over the years and half a dozen S&W 3rd Gen autos from 9mm to 45 ACP. My 4506 resides under my pillow as my "go to" pistol because in the 20+ years I've owned it it's never failed in any way. It's been 100% reliable fwith everything I've ever shot in it and that includes 200 gr LSWC's. So far, the Glock 30SF is running neck and neck with the Smith in the reliability department

However, my first handgun after the Remington Rand was a M28 Highway Patrolman with 6" barrel. I kept it for a while and traded it for a Colt 45 Mark IV Series 70. Later I got a satin nickle Commander and a SA 1911 A1 and then onward to SA's like the three screw Ruger 45 Colt.

I like them all and don't really cull any. If one causes me problems(autos) from the get-go I sell it or trade it. There's too many reliable autos out there to worry over one. Picking up brass, however, is a PITA and I don't shoot the autos as much as I use to.

Mal Paso
07-07-2011, 10:27 AM
You mean "Bottom Feeders"?:kidding:

wildcatter
07-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Its a bottom feeder but I can say NO RATTLES!!!;) If its rattlein that bad fix her and she will be a keeper!! ;) but it is one of the most accurate guns made, once you own a GOOD 1911 thats made right, I don't know how I can get rid of it??? Once you own a 1911 made right and carry one concealed and realize the comfort reliability and firepower for the job at hand I need it!! The group is 9 shots from bench at 25 yards, OPEN SIGHTS. My eyes ain't what they once were, but even my FA Model 83 Premier don't do no better!!
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu266/saumbi/XD7P4684.jpg

I shoot the revolvers more and hunt mainly with them or once and a while I use my Encore, but my Revolvers are my main shooters. They do as well but not better!!
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu266/saumbi/IMG_4254.jpg
Scopes help a little but not a fair comparison!!
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu266/saumbi/XD7P1485.jpg

Don't know how I could get rid of any of them, I think I need em all!!!:guntootsmiley:

almost forgot, I outgrew plastic guns in puberty and don't carry real guns in anything but Leather!!

jameslovesjammie
07-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Other than .22's, I only have one semi auto. The rest are wheelies. So far, that is enough for me.

6.5 mike
07-07-2011, 07:05 PM
While I do have some "bottom feeders", (I like that), most of mine are wheel guns. Truth be told, I like single actions best, NO brass to chase unless you drop it, LOL. :popcorn:

exile
07-07-2011, 07:16 PM
I have the auto's, but shoot them less and less as time goes on, I usually set out a tarp to catch brass, but it is such a pain that I just shoot the revolvers anymore.

exile

ColColt
07-07-2011, 07:38 PM
wildcatter-What are those boolits for your 45 Colt? Man, what a meplat!

uscra112
07-07-2011, 08:33 PM
Same thing here. Old, hands getting arthritic - I sold my old Hi-Power because I just couldn't rack the slide with enough authority without changing hands. Doesn't take a gorilla grip to do anything you need to do with a wheelgun.

Shot off about 100 rds. from my Colt Officer's Model today, then pulled out the Walther P1 that I rebuilt a few years ago. First round was "what was that?". It was the monkey-motion of the slide. Disconcerting to say the least! Not to mention the hot case that landed in my hair. (Yeah, I still have that, anyway!)

wildcatter
07-07-2011, 09:32 PM
wildcatter-What are those boolits for your 45 Colt? Man, what a meplat!

That is a custom mold from Mountain molds. The loads with the FA are 340 grain GC with a .360" flat nose, (meplat) the ones with the Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter are 250 grain with the same meplat and a little shorter nose. Both are show in 45 Colt.

With the 340 Grain slug at 1150 fps. around hear just aint no need for a 454 load, so the FA don't see the 454 cylinder very often.

rintinglen
07-10-2011, 03:23 AM
:awesome:
I'm old. I'm tired. I hate picking up brass. I like my wheel guns. 'Nuff said.

By Jove, you have said my thoughts more perfectly than I could! Old backs don't bend like they used to, and the ground gets further away every year.

9.3X62AL
07-10-2011, 02:55 PM
I enjoy both roundguns and stutterpistols, but the rollers are A LOT more reloader-friendly as my age advances. Chasing brass has lost its charm over time.

As far as defensive usages go, the bottom-feeders have some tangible advantages from the operational standpoint, but these advantages require practice and refreshment periodically because the skill set required to exploit them are rather perishable. Autopistol flatness IS easier to conceal, too. But after a lotta years of carrying both systems in harm's way......I'm bound to say that a wheelgun in sufficient caliber isn't the handicap that all the tacticool mall ninja types profess it to be.

Back in the 1970s, this auto vs revo argument burned up a lot of magazine space. I was relatively new to the game at that time, and just getting old enough to purchase sideiron. One gem of wisdom from my mentor Leo Reyes, shared at about this time (1975)--"With a revolver, the things a gunsmith does to enhance accuracy also enhance reliability. In an autopistol, accuracy enhancements tend to compromise reliability." The intervening 35+ years have seen a real paradigm shift in autopistol reliability, a thing I think Leo would be very pleased to see.

But all in all.......I still think you get a lot more gun per dollar spent when you choose a roller over a slider.

NoZombies
07-10-2011, 03:23 PM
I own a few auto pistols, but I shoot revolvers more. I like carrying an auto for it's slim profile, but I don't much like chasing brass. I do shoot a 1911 and a S&W 52-2, with some frequency, but .45 and .38 special aren't too hard to get brass for when I loose some.

When I'm out in the woods (when I get to anymore) It's a wheel gun with me.

About the only autos that I have that get shot "all the time" are the .22's. I don't worry about the brass, and they're cheap fun.

Snapping Twig
07-10-2011, 06:36 PM
I've got no issues with non plastic bottom feeders in .45acp and there's one or two others I like as well, but I am and have always been a wheel gun guy.

Don't get me wrong, for SD and urban settings, few things are as tailor made for the job as a 1911 or some other svelte, easily concealed and rapid reloading moderate recoiling handgun with a caliber starting with a 4.

But, not being part of the .gov or any sort of authority with powers of arrest or an oath of preserving public safety, I don't get to carry a gun legally in the cities.

Therefore, I prefer a more powerful and more accurate sidearm - the revolver.

Here's a recent pick-up. This is a 4" 624 no dash, made in 1985 and infrequently shot when I bought it.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/SnappingTwig1/P6220002.jpg

Here is another 624. This is also a no dash from 1985 and it was indeed unfired and NIB when I bought it late last year.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/SnappingTwig1/PC040011.jpg

Here's what I've carried in the woods for the last 20+ years, it's a custom made 629-2 that I really like. It started out with an 8 3/8" barrel, but Mag-Na-Port had an original LH 3" for me and the rest is history.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a51/SnappingTwig1/P8180025.jpg

It's going to be hard to decide which one to carry in the field next time, now that I have other short barrel options. The 4" 624 is the original Mountain Gun before they started making specifically labeled Mountain Guns and .44Spl Skeeter loads are more than enough to do what you have to do, so I may just leave the magnum home next time.

Make mine a revolver.