View Full Version : Camp Perry National Trophy Rifle Matches

Reverend Recoil
07-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Is anybody here going to the National Rifle Trophy Matches next month at Camp Perry? I always have a great time there and learn something new from the top Army and Marine shooters. I will be competing in the President's Match, National Trophy Individual, Hearst Doubles and the Vintage Military Rifle Match. In the Vintage Match I will be shooting my Swiss K-31. It's good pratice for wild hogs. Next year I will have a M1 rifle ready for the John C Garand Match. I hope to see some of you there.

If this sounds interesting, check out the Civilian Marksmanship Program. Its a US government corporation that is all about service rifle and pistol shooting since the founding of the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice in 1884.

NuJudge
07-06-2011, 06:29 AM
I'll be there for those, plus Garand & Springfield, Carbine and the NRA M1A match.

akajun
07-06-2011, 09:37 AM
Ill be there, Ill be staying with an ugly dude from LA though:kidding:

frank505
07-06-2011, 09:58 AM
I was fortunate to be able to go in 2007. Shot the presidents 100, the NTI, Hearst Doubles, the Garand match, the vintage military and the inaugral M1A match. It is a must if you are a rifleman. The next week is all the wierdos with their match rifles(sigh). Service rifle is the best and remember to shoot the Sunday sight in, cause during the week you get no sighters!!! My zeros were different from 5200 feet and 10 to 20 % humidity to sea level and 900% humidity.
We brought a window air conditioner for our hootch, could not imagine being without it.
How many "gunwriters" have ever competed at the National Matches?

Char-Gar
07-06-2011, 11:57 AM
Going to the National Matches is a wonderful experience. I made four trips there back in he late 50's and early 60's. Got to rub shoulders with some shooting legends.

madsenshooter
07-06-2011, 12:04 PM
With luck, I'll be there for the Vintage match, along with one of my Krags.

frank505
07-06-2011, 12:41 PM
one of the unforgettable poeple I met was a little Italian accented guy who was walking around in the shade of those wonderful maples at the back of the Rodriguez range and talking about what to put on for windage and watch the little changes. What an education!!!! Somebody later said he has twenty some Garands, ok big deal he likes them, no HE WON THEM ALL IN INTERSERVICE RIFLE COMPETITION!!!!!!!!! I forget his name, he is a legend.
I wish I could go again, it is a treat to the soul of a rifleman.

Come on Guys, who are the gunwriters that have attented the National Matches??????????

DCM
07-06-2011, 06:58 PM
I wish I could go again, it is a treat to the soul of a rifleman.

Come on Guys, who are the gunwriters that have attented the National Matches??????????

It certainly is a treat for the soul of a rifleman to walk that hallowed ground!

The only gunwriters I know of that have attended write for the NRA there are plenty of Gunnys that attend, one of which is quite famous has been attending for the last few years.

I doubt that I will make it this year, if I do it will be for the vintage match.

garandsrus
07-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Lee Ermey has been there the last couple years. He shot in several matches.

John

bradh
07-06-2011, 08:39 PM
We all know that Elmer Kieth shot at several National Matches!!!

Reverend Recoil
07-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Charles Askins was on the NRA technical staff and a writer for the American Rifleman. He wrote some good articles from a broad range of skills and experiences. He also won two NRA national pistol championships. I think Jim Carmichael competed in smallbore rifle in college. I am sure there must be a few others. Real shooting gun writers are few and far between. Most of them are chair shooters or chair hunters that write for free guns and gear from the manufacturers. There have been many turd gun models produced (Ruger 357 Maximum Blackhawk is one) but you would never know it from their reviews.

Reverend Recoil
07-06-2011, 09:18 PM
I know of another. C.E. Harris of the American Rifleman and Cast Bullet Association competed in service rife.

zomby woof
07-06-2011, 10:49 PM
I'll be shooting M1 Carbine, Vintage, Springfield and Garand.

Phat Man Mike
07-08-2011, 11:30 PM
I won't be able to make it! :( our club is hosting a CMP match this month. I'm going to try my hand at it with my M-44 and some cast boolits. :)

jonk
07-15-2011, 10:35 PM
I'll be shooting M1 Carbine, Vintage, Springfield and Garand.

Me too. Maybe I'll run into ya!

SlamFire1
07-16-2011, 03:10 PM
If you are getting long in the tooth, or need good prone practice, don’t forget small bore prone.

Lots of people shoot smallbore.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/IMG_07611052Smallboreundershade.jpg

You get to shoot in the shade, and if you bring a pop up, you get to sit in the shade. I plan to read another book inbetween relays.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/Misc/DSCF1111.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/Misc/SmallBoreProne2010.jpg
You also get to talk to some really good shooters. This is Mr. Charles Kemp the 2010 Iron Sight National Champ. He also set a National Record last year.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/Misc/DSCF1146CharlesKempIronSightWinnerHighCivilianover all.jpg

Here is the rifle he was using, built around a M52D action.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/Misc/DSCF1149CharlesKempM52D.jpg

zomby woof
07-16-2011, 08:21 PM
Me too. Maybe I'll run into ya!

Looks like you don't have to drive too far.

See you there!!

xringdave
08-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Went to Camp Perry 4 years in a row back in the early 90's, had a great time. Even made the
president's 100 in 93

jonk
08-14-2011, 01:38 AM
I got bronze in Vintage, Springfield, and Garand, missed it by 2 points in the Carbine. I really thought I'd go at least silver in the Vintage but the rain and wind sprang up. ah well. Great time! What to shoot next year? Hmm...

zomby woof
08-14-2011, 11:14 AM
I came in third in Carbine with Gold, 15th in
in Vintage, Gold, took bronze in Springfield and Baked and crashed in Garand. The delay and bake in the Garand match cooked me, I fell apart in standing.

The cast boolit practicing really pays off!!!.

Reverend Recoil
08-14-2011, 12:16 PM
I got silver in the Vintage Rifle match.

NuJudge
08-14-2011, 05:00 PM
I got 10 'Leg' points and a Bronze in the NTI, Bronze in the Carbine match, came in 5th in Vintage Military (and got a Gold medal), missed a Gold in the Springfield match by 1 point, and got a Gold in the Garand match. This is on top of two Gold medals in the .22 Sporter match. Sadly, none of this was with cast bullets.

During the President's match, I had an Alibi, the first time I've had one in 20 years. That really messed up my head, and my results were off after that.

Nothing serious went wrong on me during the NTI. IIRC, my Sitting Rapid wind call was off slightly, and I put a knot in the 10 ring at 9 O'Clock, a few in the X ring, and for some reason I can't fathom one in the 9 ring at 5 O'Clock. Three hundred yards went OK. It was relatively dark at 600 yards, and I could not see the mirage worth a hoot, but my readings from the flags were good enough that I made the Leg cut.

My M1 Carbine gave me some trouble, but then it always does, mostly with windage and elevation adjustments. Right after the match I took it to Fulton Armory to have them remove the GI rear and replace it with one of their copies, which hopefully will give something like repeatable adjustments.

My uber-reliable K31 gave me some trouble for the first time: the 200 yard Point of Impact (POI) with the rear sight on 200 meters and 6 O'Clock hold at my pre-match sight-in several days before the match was the X ring on the 13" Bullseye. On the day of the match the first of my 5 Prone Slow sighters was about 2" above my Point of Aim (POA). I moved the rear sight slide up from the 200 meter setting to the 300 meter setting to see if that would work (I did not believe it would, as prior results say the change in POI should be about 7 minutes). Sure enough, on the 300 meter rear sight setting, the POI was right at the top of the 13" bullseye. I put the rear sight back on its 200 meter setting, and tried a Center of Mass hold, something I had no experience with in all my target shooting. Third sighter was a high 10. Fourth sighter was a high 10. Went for record and shot 8 high 10's, then shot two 9's, for a 98. Things also went well with Prone Rapid. The POI moved down some more during Offhand Slow, requiring me to have just a teeny bit of the top of the bullseye on top of the front sight.

I had a muscle twitch during the Springfield match during Offhand: what would have been a 9 or 10 (hopefully) turned out to be a 5 way up at the top. I won a Gold last year with the same score, but CMP moved the cut-off up one point, so I have a Silver this year. This Springfield has given me some bad extraction trouble in the past with the HXP during the Springfield match, and gave me some slight trouble with the Hornady ammo this match.

I had been thinking that I could perhaps shoot a bit better if I had a Garand with greater trigger guard closure tension. In previous years I have shot a 1960s rebuild that still had some tension. I went to the North Store this Spring and bought an H&R with essentially no wear on the barrel anywhere, but a new Birch stock (stained Pumpkin ORANGE!), with much more tension. IIRC, my score this year was 2 points better than last year.

340six
08-14-2011, 06:54 PM
After buying a M1 Garand I have no $$ to go :holysheep
http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/Garand/?albumview=slideshow
But at least now I have a gun to take when I do

NuJudge
08-14-2011, 08:54 PM
After buying a M1 Garand I have no $$ to go :holysheep
http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/Garand/?albumview=slideshow
But at least now I have a gun to take when I do

Beautiful rifle.

Echo