PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 450 sizing dies: RCBS & Lyman

milprileb
07-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Seems Lyman dies have more holes than RCBS. Perhaps that is an issue on efficiency ?

I know both makers dies fit my Lyman 450 and I have often bought RCBS if price was less or Lyman item was out of stock.

Now I am wondering: for the 450 Lyman sizer... are the Lyman dies optimum for that sizer ?

I am wondering if the lube ring around base of my Bevel Base bullets is a product of the RCBS sizing die and this issue would be less to contend with if I had Lyman sizing dies.

Please let loose with comments, I am dying to hear the truth.

ChuckS1
07-05-2011, 06:55 PM
The lube ring around the bevel base is there because there's a bevel, not because fo the die design.

Bradley
07-07-2011, 11:03 PM
Somewhere in the production of the 450 the machine was changed slightly. The net effect was that newer 450's and all 4500's will not take "oversized" older dies. Some old dies are not "oversized" of course but many are.

So the RCBS machine, the 45 and some of the 450's (you can not tell which by looking) handle all Lyman and RCBS dies. Some 450's and all 4500's will have trouble with "oversized" dies.

I'm sure about this because many of my very old sizing dies will not fit into my 4500. I called Lyman and asked why.