PDA

View Full Version : got the pork but in the smoker

Lloyd Smale
07-05-2011, 02:10 PM
borderbrewer gave me a hankering for some good old southern pulled pork. Funny thing was i went the the motocross races this weekend to watch the grandsons race and they were selling it there but it wasnt as good as the old North Carolina pulled pork i used to get down south so i went and bought a pork but and gave my old service buddy a call and got his mothers recipe and rubbed her down and got it in the smoker right now. Should be a great dinner. My wife has never ate pulled pork so it will be a real treat for her. Her idea of a barbaque sandwich is a can of manwich and a lb of burger.

Rick N Bama
07-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Her idea of a barbaque sandwich is a can of manwich and a lb of burger.

After that everything else is Gormet Dining:)

Rick

TCLouis
07-05-2011, 11:01 PM
Never ate pulled pork . . .

OH NO! ! !

Rick N Bama
07-06-2011, 08:11 AM

OH NO! ! !

Un-American isn't it:)

Got a 9 pounder in the freezer, I think I'll take it out today for smoking this weekend.

Rick

45-70bpcr
07-06-2011, 11:19 AM
borderbrewer gave me a hankering for some good old southern pulled pork. Funny thing was i went the the motocross races this weekend to watch the grandsons race and they were selling it there but it wasnt as good as the old North Carolina pulled pork i used to get down south so i went and bought a pork but and gave my old service buddy a call and got his mothers recipe and rubbed her down and got it in the smoker right now. Should be a great dinner. My wife has never ate pulled pork so it will be a real treat for her. Her idea of a barbaque sandwich is a can of manwich and a lb of burger.

Secret rub or can you share? Also would like to find a good recipe for the vinegar based sauce.

Lloyd Smale
07-07-2011, 07:24 AM
turned out great. My wife isnt into spicy food but had to admit it was tastey. bpcr i wish i could give you that recipe but my buddy enters barbque contests and mom made me swear to keep the rub a secret. The viegar sause isnt a big secret and is easy. Just mix a cup of cidar vinegar a half a cup of water. A tbs of crushed red pepper. A tsp of fresh ground black pepper a tbs of paprica and 2tbs of brown sugar. She said only trick to that is its should sit overnight. she said she actually makes big batches and cans it so the flavors get cooked in together. Its got a little bite but not much. You could add more crushed pepper or sugar to ajust it either way. She also told me that you can substitude beer for the water but it doesnt work well when she makes a big batch and pressure cooks it.

Boz330
07-07-2011, 01:39 PM

OH NO! ! !

What?????????????? You are almost right in the middle of pulled pork country.

Bob

BorderBrewer
07-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Lloyd,
Glad to hear it turned out great. My youngest daughter's 20th birthday is this weekend and she requested pulled pork sandwiches for dinner so I'll have the smoker going with them. I'll also smoke a few fatties for appetizers. I'll stuff one with pepperoni and mozzarella and one with chorizo, jalapeno and cheddar. I'll do a bacon weave around the fatties for even more good-for-the-heart effect.
Regards,
BorderBrewer

Rick N Bama
07-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Secret rub or can you share? Also would like to find a good recipe for the vinegar based sauce.

I've tried my best at making my own rubs, but the commercial rubs beat me hands down. "Bad Byron's Butt Rub" & "Dizzy Pig Raging River" are the best I've found so far.

Rick

Lloyd Smale
07-10-2011, 07:08 AM
Whats a fatty? Dare i ask?
Lloyd,
Glad to hear it turned out great. My youngest daughter's 20th birthday is this weekend and she requested pulled pork sandwiches for dinner so I'll have the smoker going with them. I'll also smoke a few fatties for appetizers. I'll stuff one with pepperoni and mozzarella and one with chorizo, jalapeno and cheddar. I'll do a bacon weave around the fatties for even more good-for-the-heart effect.
Regards,
BorderBrewer

c3d4b2
07-10-2011, 10:29 AM
My wife has never ate pulled pork

Was this so you would have more, or were you neglecting her???????? :kidding:

I always had trouble smoking shoulders. They tasted good, but were a little on the tough side. One day I got started late and could not leave it on the smoker the normal time. I ended up wrapping it in foil and putting it in the oven at 225. The plan was to take it out of the oven when I got up during the night. As things go I did not wake up and it was in the oven all night. When we went to pull it apart it was an easy job and the meat was tender and moist.

You can find a lot of rub recipes on the web. I ended up combining the ingredients from several rub suggestions that matched my taste preferences.

Rick N Bama
07-11-2011, 07:10 PM
Whats a fatty? Dare i ask?

I've been wondering the same thing.

Rick

BorderBrewer
07-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Lloyd,
To make a fattie I use two 1 pound chubs of bulk sausage (I use Jimmy Deans hot). Combine the two pounds of sausage and place it on a sheet of wax paper. shape the sausage into a oblong pizza crust shape and thickness. Place the desired filling (cheese, onions, mushrooms, jalapenos, pepperoni, or whatever) on top of the shaped sausage. Take one end of the sausage and start rolling it up sealing the ends as you go and sealing the seam when you get to the end. Once the fatty is rolled you can weave bacon over the top of it like a meatloaf if desired. Sprinkle your favorite rub over the fatty and place in a 225 to 250 degree smoker with the smoke wood of your choice for two hours or until internal temp reaches 160 degrees. To serve, slice the fattie and eat it as is or serve it between toasted english muffins. You can use almost anything for a filling with a fattie. I have made breakfast fatties using scrambled eggs and cottage fries and Octoberfest fatties stuffed with bratwurst and sauerkraut They are easy to make and tasty. When I do a long smoke such as for a pork butt I'll usually throw a fattie in for something to munch on until the pork butt is ready.

Regards,
BorderBrewer

Lloyd Smale
07-12-2011, 07:06 AM
im going to have to try that. Ive got about 10lbs of venison italian sausage left from last year. One question though. Are you saying to use smoke for the first two hours and then cook till 160. I find it hard to believe it would cook to 160 in two hours.
Lloyd,
To make a fattie I use two 1 pound chubs of bulk sausage (I use Jimmy Deans hot). Combine the two pounds of sausage and place it on a sheet of wax paper. shape the sausage into a oblong pizza crust shape and thickness. Place the desired filling (cheese, onions, mushrooms, jalapenos, pepperoni, or whatever) on top of the shaped sausage. Take one end of the sausage and start rolling it up sealing the ends as you go and sealing the seam when you get to the end. Once the fatty is rolled you can weave bacon over the top of it like a meatloaf if desired. Sprinkle your favorite rub over the fatty and place in a 225 to 250 degree smoker with the smoke wood of your choice for two hours or until internal temp reaches 160 degrees. To serve, slice the fattie and eat it as is or serve it between toasted english muffins. You can use almost anything for a filling with a fattie. I have made breakfast fatties using scrambled eggs and cottage fries and Octoberfest fatties stuffed with bratwurst and sauerkraut They are easy to make and tasty. When I do a long smoke such as for a pork butt I'll usually throw a fattie in for something to munch on until the pork butt is ready.

Regards,
BorderBrewer

BorderBrewer
07-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Hi Lloyd,
The venison sausage sounds like it would make a tasty Fatty. Mine reach 160 degrees in two hours. I maintain my temp between 225 and 250. I use my horizontal smoker with Royal Oak lump coal and smoke wood chunks. Put enough smoke wood in the fire box to maintain a thin blue smoke for at least an hour.
Regards,
BorderBrewer

Changeling
07-12-2011, 03:20 PM
Hi Lloyd,
The venison sausage sounds like it would make a tasty Fatty. Mine reach 160 degrees in two hours. I maintain my temp between 225 and 250. I use my horizontal smoker with Royal Oak lump coal and smoke wood chunks. Put enough smoke wood in the fire box to maintain a thin blue smoke for at least an hour.
Regards,
BorderBrewer

Do you happen to have a good picture of your smoker, or a link to one like it so we can see it?

BorderBrewer
07-12-2011, 03:35 PM
My horizontal smoker is a Brinkmann smoke n pit. I have had it for about 15 years now. It is one of the heavier gauge models before they started making them with lighter gauge steel. It is by no means a professional pit though as I am just a weekend BBQer. I welded up a charcoal basket from #9 expanded steel and angle iron that fits in the fire box and also made a heat baffle for inside the cooking chamber. I added a telescoping chimney extension to increase smoke circulation. With these mods I can maintain an even temp across the cooking chamber and one fill of charcoal lasts 6 hours.

Thanks,
BorderBrewer

Rick N Bama
07-13-2011, 05:11 AM
You'll never believe how glad I am that my Cardiologist doesn't read this board!

Rick

Lloyd,

Regards,
BorderBrewer

Lloyd Smale
07-13-2011, 06:18 AM
turned out great. 2 hours was enough to cook it like you said. Only problem was my venison sausage was a bit to lean and it was tough to slice without crumbling. I should have at least tried a couple eggs in it. I was bored early in the morning and decided to throw it in the smoker. I figured i could warm it up for supper. Well two buddys came over and my daugter her husband and two kids and it was gone by noon.

rockrat
07-13-2011, 09:54 AM
Did pulled pork for kids HS graduation party. Bought about 70 lbs of pork butt but only did 50 as thats all I could get in the smoker.

After the party, there was only about 5 lbs left, maybe!!!! Those kids sure could eat:)

BorderBrewer
07-13-2011, 03:12 PM
"Only problem was my venison sausage was a bit to lean and it was tough to slice without crumbling."

You can add pork or beef fat to the grind. It won't influence the flavor too much and the sausage hangs together better.

BorderBrewer

Lloyd Smale
07-14-2011, 07:46 AM
there was some pork fat added but it was still to lean. thinking back its probably why it was still in the freezer as it was a bit blaw tasting for sausage. Just not enough fat.
"Only problem was my venison sausage was a bit to lean and it was tough to slice without crumbling."

You can add pork or beef fat to the grind. It won't influence the flavor too much and the sausage hangs together better.

BorderBrewer

Moonie
07-14-2011, 01:35 PM
Was this so you would have more, or were you neglecting her???????? :kidding:

I always had trouble smoking shoulders. They tasted good, but were a little on the tough side. One day I got started late and could not leave it on the smoker the normal time. I ended up wrapping it in foil and putting it in the oven at 225. The plan was to take it out of the oven when I got up during the night. As things go I did not wake up and it was in the oven all night. When we went to pull it apart it was an easy job and the meat was tender and moist.

You can find a lot of rub recipes on the web. I ended up combining the ingredients from several rub suggestions that matched my taste preferences.

Keep in mind that for pulled pork you have to get the temprature to about 205 to 210F. I take mine off at that point and wrap it in aluminum foil and then wrap them in towels and let them hold in a cooler for at least an hour to an hour and a half. Then I take them out and open the foil and let the meat rest and the juices redistribute for about another hour. I then put all the meat in a big stock pot, pull out the bones, pull apart with a couple of forks and add my Lexington style sauce.

Last time I smoked bbq I didn't use a rub and the family (very large family, about 25-30 people) said it was the best they had ever had.

Keep in mind, we live 20 minutes from Lexington NC and moms side of the family is from Lexington.