PDA

View Full Version : time between shots

jacob7
07-05-2011, 12:51 PM
I was shooting on the 4th a sharps 45-70 and noticed that after the first 3 shots my groups began to enlarge. I timed between the shot which measured 2 mins. Is this too fast. Is my gun getting too hot and should wait longer? Thanks.

Jim
07-05-2011, 01:04 PM
I wouldn't think that's anywhere near too fast. On the occasions I dial in a rifle with developmental loads, I shoot about a minute apart with the bolt open between shots. As for the barrel getting too hot, several of the very knowledgeable shooters on this forum have told me that if you can hold your hand on the barrel, it's nowhere near too hot.

As for the group enlarging after the first three rounds, I'm gonna let some of the more experienced guys handle that.

oldracer
07-05-2011, 02:34 PM
Did you get any lead build up? I had this happen and found some lead build up in from the muzzle and the accuracy had dropped off which we are figuring it was a lube failure issue and needing additional breaths probably? I have a recent post close by for reference. My barrel got pretty warm but I could touch it easily.

Gunlaker
07-05-2011, 05:47 PM
I was shooting on the 4th a sharps 45-70 and noticed that after the first 3 shots my groups began to enlarge. I timed between the shot which measured 2 mins. Is this too fast. Is my gun getting too hot and should wait longer? Thanks.

What are you doing for fouling control? Blow tube, wipe, or nothing. Maybe just foulding buildup or lead?

I live in a pretty cool climate so I don't have to worry about the extreme heat that a lot of U.S. shooters have to deal with, but I have no problem shooting will less time than that between shots.

Chris.

NickSS
07-05-2011, 10:00 PM
You are waiting long enough but your post does not answer questions concerning how you are shooting. Are you just shooting or are you blow tubing or wiping between shots? Are you getting any leading? With this info it would be easier to see what the problem is.

jacob7
07-05-2011, 10:41 PM
I'm shooting in Va. temp. about 85 and humidity about 60 to 70%. I'm using SPG and blowing 3 times. Everything seems soft with no leading. About everything is wiped free with 2 swipes.
I'll clean about every 12 shots. Maybe it's me and getting eye fatigue.
What's the best way to check for leading. Maybe I'm not seeing it. Thanks

RMulhern
07-06-2011, 11:32 AM
If you're using the right size jag....not a nylon brush...with a 3" patch when you shove it through the barrel....you'll hit a hard spot and THAT will be where your lead is! 60F to 70F ain't hot! Down here in the deep south....if you had your rifle out in the sun on the 4th...it was 107F heat index and without shooting....your barrel is TOO HOT TO TOUCH within one minute!!