PDA

View Full Version : 1958 armi sport 58 caliber muzzle loader

Frank46
07-05-2011, 05:46 AM
Got a few questions here regarding an 1858 armi sport 58 caliber muzzle loader. On my rifle there is no ledge for the lockplate to sit in. Cosequently when tightening up the side plate screws from the left side on the stock it pulls the entire lockplate assembly further into the mortice in the stock. This is a brand new gun and shows evidence of ever been fired. What I was thinking to solve this problem was to make two hollow bushings so that once I get the lockplate where I want I'll have the two bushings much like the stock bushings on a 98 mauser so that when these two screws are tightened the lock will be held in place by the bushings.
Question #2 it appears that in teasing where on the nipple the hammer strikes, that it is only contacting the bottom third of the hammer. So at this point a session with a propane torch is in order to bend the hammer somewhat down to improve the area on the nipple that the hammer strikes. So if anyone has any suggestions or here is how I did it's I'll be greatly appreciative. Thanks, Frank

SmuvBoGa
07-05-2011, 09:24 AM
I think it would be simpler to "adjust" the nipple with a little light filing. A touch or two on the low side is all you need. Extra nipples cost far less than a hammer. :popcorn:

Good luck either way you go.

JohnMc

waksupi
07-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Could you do some pictures of the first problem? I am having a hard time visualizing it.

Frank46
07-06-2011, 12:02 AM
Unable to do pics. However will try to better explain the problem. So here goes. There is no ledge or mortise for the lock to sit on. Instead the wood that was removed allows the entire lock to be pulled into the area where the lock was inletted. The rifle has never been fired and has no signs of ever been fired. So my thinking was to make up two bushings that will allow the lock the lock once properly adjusted will allow the lock screws to be tightened up to prevent any shifting. I'm new to black powder and would eventually like to shoot this rifle.
Beginning to think that working on the nipple would be the best. Always screw up the cheapest part first. Thanks again, Frank

cajun shooter
07-11-2011, 12:39 PM
Frank, I hate to say anything about your gun but will tell you the truth. The Armi Sports guns made in Italy do not have a very good reputation. They look like the others that are made but where they fall short is in the internal parts and the fit and time that they last. The model 74 Sharps made by them has a rep of breaking the firing pin in as little as 3 firings. Ask around at any of your local muzzleloaders clubs and see if they may give you a idea for the best repair.

Frank46
07-11-2011, 11:26 PM
Cajun shooter, nope your not bothering me about telling the truth. I had hoped to locate a parker hale but $$$ being kinda short ended up with the armi sports. Sometimes you are the bug and sometimes you are the windshield. Frank