PDA

View Full Version : OAL for Lee TL356-124-2R

Pete P
07-05-2011, 01:10 AM
Question what would be a good overall length for the Lee TL356-124-2R in 9mm? If I go for the maximum overall length some of the ribs will be protruding out of the mouth of the case. If none of them are exposed I fear it will be seated to deep and raise pressures. Looking for opinions. Thanks.

2wheelDuke
07-05-2011, 01:22 AM
I'm not sure if it's right, but I usually seat the TL boolits to where the last groove is kinda like a crimp groove.

MtGun44
07-07-2011, 12:23 AM
Your gun defines that, mag length and chamber/throat dimensions are the limits.

Dismount the bbl and make up a dummy round to see how long you can seat the boolit and
still get normal chambering. Mag length is critical, too.

Bill

Bullwolf
07-09-2011, 01:05 AM
The correct answer is normally what will fit, and feed in your guns.

That being said, I like to use 1.10 as an OAL for the Lee TL356-124-2R in 9mm.

Realize that the deeper you seat the boolit, the more pressure will increase, and adjust your load accordingly.

My favorite load uses Winchester brass, a CCI 500 small pistol primer, a OAL of 1.10, and 5.2 grains of Hercules/Alliant's Unique with that boolit.

I slowly and safely worked my way up to that load, and would advise anyone else wanting to use it to do the same. I have had no problems with it, and it cycles the action fine in my auto pistols.

I tumble lube using Lee liquid Alox, or Recluse's 45-45-10 mix of Alox and JPW, cut with mineral spirits.

The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th edition lists a maximum OAL of 1.169 for 9mm. That is about as far out as you would want to go, and still be able to get things to fit in most magazines, but your gun and magazine dimensions will define the maximum OAL that it will accept.

Too short an OAL may nose dive on the feed ramp, and too long might not fit in your pistols magazine.

A loaded over all length of 1.10 seems to fit, and feed just fine in most of my 9mm's. It also covers the last of the tumble lube grooves.

That OAL and load shoots nicely in my:

Beretta 92FS
Browning Hi-Power
TZ 75
Smith & Wesson J-frame 940 revolver in 9mm.
Ruger P89
and a few other assorted Smith and Wesson 9mm auto pistols.

Here are a few pictures of that boolit all loaded up, that I had taken for another thread.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=539&pictureid=3825

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=539&pictureid=3937

- Bullwolf