PDA

View Full Version : Ggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bret4207
01-07-2007, 05:45 PM
So I'm out moving some dirt around to bury a drain line and channel run off near the barn. Figured out why my 1010 kept dying- previously undiscovered fuel filter in the inlet elbow. Runs great and did the heavy work with that. Then I used my little JD 40 crawler to try and get the stuff leveled out. This has an old set of worn 350 tracks on it. I had loosened the left track tension a bit yesterday 'cuz it was jsut plain too tight and the bearings won't take it. Well, sure enough I flipped a track off. Anyone who hasn't experienced the joy of working on even a little crawler with a jumped track just hasn't enjoyed life. So out came the 2 Handyman Hi-Lift jacks and the crowbars and shian. Had in back on in20 minutes. 10 minutes after that I moved just wrong and flipped it again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I called it a day.

SharpsShooter
01-07-2007, 06:36 PM
Perhaps a bit more tension is in order??

SS

redneckdan
01-07-2007, 08:07 PM
i dealt with a thrown track on a snowmobile once, not fun.

Bret4207
01-07-2007, 08:18 PM
A set of new tracks is what I need. I'll put it on tommorow after work and try to find a happy balance between too tight and not tight enough.

Jack Stanley
01-07-2007, 11:12 PM
That does it ! I'm not even going to consider a crawler for working around here . I'll stick with the wheeled stuff with a bucket and pay the guy to do it [smilie=1:

Jack

Lightning Ross
01-08-2007, 12:23 AM
try that track work on a D8 cat in about a foot of snow. Make you want to slap your mother for not making you a banker instead of a logger.

azcoyhunter
01-08-2007, 01:26 AM
My Father .........

When I was deployed in the Gulf, and I complained about anything.

Too hot, too whatever he alwas said

"It builds Character"

Clint

azcoyhunter
01-08-2007, 01:27 AM
try that track work on a D8 cat in about a foot of snow. Make you want to slap your mother for not making you a banker instead of a logger.

It sure is fun to shovel out all the mud just to grease the DAMM thing.

Clint

Ivantherussian03
01-08-2007, 02:35 AM
Well, I have fond memories of thrown tracks. My APC did that a few times. THAT WAS FUN:-(

One it happened in foot deep mud. I was a newbie then, amazingly, I disconnected the connecting pin and slide it out.Then let the track tension out. Re-placed the track back and some sort pin punch to reconnect the track, then I gently drove the APC out of the mud. Then I slide the proper connecting pin in there and pumped the track tension device full of grease. It was amazingly; it looked like I knew what i was doing. That repair took 20 minutes, ussually it not that easy.

The other time I remember was not fun. Some where in Germany; I was assigned to drive a captain around and observe war games. A mock tank battle was going on, and we were trying to sneak a peek. The captain decided I did not need to wear the night vision goggle; he would guide me through verbally.

We did not get far. It happened at night. The tanks had torn the ground up good, and it was damn muddy. The transmisson light over came on; it was over heating. The captain went out and did his thing; sarge and slept till morning. When the light came up I lost it; the track was jammed and wedged like you would not believe. I WAS PISSED, AND BASICALLy LOST IT. I knew I was the guy going to spend the day fixing it:twisted:

All in all pretty fun stuff.

Bret4207
01-08-2007, 08:52 AM
Everytime my 1010 (11,000 lbs plus) slips a track it's cold, wet and in mud past my knees. I have an old 40 ton railroad jack. It and I are on real familiar terms by the end of the event.

I love tracks. Love 'em. And I hate them. Capital HATE them. You can take a 45 hp wheeled tractor and barley budge a set of heavy discs in loose ground. Then take a little 18 hp crawler and drag them around like there's no tomorrow. Great idea, great tractors. Hate the wear and tear. I really want a D2 Cat for some of my farm work. Every one I find at a reasonable price needs a complete undercarrige. Put $5000.00 into a $1200.00 tractor? Hard to do.

Frank46
01-08-2007, 12:47 PM
We had a D8 at work that was used for leveling roads, grading and snow removal. Worked great. The dummy that was driving it at the time somehow managed to drive it and get it stuck in the mud. This about 30 feet from the East River. OK he figures I'll bring in the scraper and get it out with that. No was jose. When he came back with the scraper she was going down by the bow. By the next day the engine was covered with salt water and just the back was clear. Seems at one time they had dug in the area to bury some stuff and because it was so close to the river it created a huge pool of water, mud and all sorts of other stuff. They finally brought in a D11 which they used to dig out around the sunken cat and eventually managed to get it out. I would hate to see the repair bill for that one. Frank

Slowpoke
01-08-2007, 02:46 PM
I would hate to see that D-11 stuck, That is one big puppy

Bret4207
01-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Oh great! Went out and worked on the track a little tonight before babysitting duty called. That beraring I was worried about? No need. It's shot! Oh well, I had to work on the steering brakes anyway...

kodiak1
01-10-2007, 12:25 AM
Tits, Tires or Tracks you is going to have trouble with them.

Lightning Ross you have it right out in the snow, the only thing you forgot was 30 below and a 20 MPH Wind.
HATE TRACKS, HATE TRACKS.

Ken.

Lightning Ross
01-10-2007, 10:13 AM
I was mostly on the oregon coast range 35 degrees and raining side ways.First started logging it was cats and skidders. when I finished up It was 110 foot towers 5000feet of 1 7/8 skyline and deisel powered sky cars with 100% suspension.The small madil yarders were built on tank carriages and would screw a track up at the most in opertune time. Mostly when we were moving it and the boss was there.

medic44
01-14-2007, 12:06 AM
last time I lost a track I was 5 ft down in a trench. Had to hand dig in the frozen mud to clear enough area to put it back on. The tensioner was frozen (rusted old screw type at 75% extention

Bret4207
01-14-2007, 09:33 AM
last time I lost a track I was 5 ft down in a trench. Had to hand dig in the frozen mud to clear enough area to put it back on. The tensioner was frozen (rusted old screw type at 75% extention

Sounds like you know the same curse words I do!

Phil
01-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Ah.................the good old days of M60A1's.

Cheers,

Phil