PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding a Lyman lead furnace...Article

rbertalotto
07-04-2011, 06:37 PM
I posted a little article on a Lyman lead furnace I rebuilt. Hope you enjoy it.

www.rvbprecision.com

http://images9.fotki.com/v114/photos/2/36012/9755963/P1020727-vi.jpg

Le Loup Solitaire
07-04-2011, 11:12 PM
Thank you for posting this article/information. It is a job very well done and looks good. I think that it should be listed appropriately in a file that is easily searched and viewed as it not only covers the Lyman unit, but the Saeco as well. Saeco was also manufactured by the same company that did the Lyman. These pots were very well made and many are still around; some needing repair for different reasons and often forum members post to this effect. Thanx again for your good work. LLS

rbertalotto
07-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the kind words. I wish I had taken more pictures during the "build" stage.

At some point it will need cleaning out and I'll have to update the article.

bootsnthejeep
07-06-2011, 03:19 PM
I like it! I was thinking of something similar for a handle stop on mine, the stock Saeco one (same pot as that, just different name) is a bit dodgy to adjust when its hot.

Just this past weekend I FINALLY found the cloth insulated cord that I've been searching in vain for for months. Hooked it up today at work so my pot resto is DONE as well.

Nothing like old iron. The best kind of recycling.

hedgehorn
08-24-2011, 10:38 PM
Hey I got one of those minus the black paint ;) I love it!

whd45
08-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Good article, I have one of those that I picked up at an estate sale along with some lead, ladels and other casting equipment. The pot was full of lead and I had about 20# of other lead, it was a good find.

Bret4207
08-28-2011, 08:01 AM
What are you guys using for a power cord? I know there is high temp resistant cord available, but I haven't located any yet. I always wind up with some melted jacket on my SAECOs. If I could get the right wire I could finish my 2 rebuilds.

mold maker
08-28-2011, 03:29 PM
Contact an appliance repair and ask for wire meant for irons. (wrinkle removers)
Be sure to give them the wattage of your pot.

Ed in North Texas
09-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Roy, Super projects on the website! Not only are the old 11 pound Lyman and Saeco pots identical, the Herter's is apparently made by the same outfit (or at least it is absolutely identical in design). I picked one up to rebuild, complete but for the power cord/thermostat control box and thermostat. Now I just need a round tuit.