PDA

View Full Version : Nef .444

Marlin Junky
01-07-2007, 03:27 AM
Anybody know what the rate of twist is on NEF's new .444 barrel? I thought I'd ask here before calling NEF on Monday.

Thanx,
MJ

Scrounger
01-07-2007, 09:01 AM
Anybody know what the rate of twist is on NEF's new .444 barrel? I thought I'd ask here before calling NEF on Monday.

Thanx,
MJ

NEF, (H&R), or Marlin, they're all the same company in the end. They use the same twist numbers as that caliber in a Marlin. You might question some of the addicts on GreyBeards NEF-HandiRifle Forum. They have probably already researched that.

dk17hmr
01-07-2007, 12:30 PM
What I have read so far no one knows. But every one at GreyBeard is hoping it has the correct bore size.
How do you like that 35 Whelan?

Ranch Dog
01-07-2007, 12:42 PM
What I have read so far no one knows. But every one at GreyBeard is hoping it has the correct bore size.
How do you like that 35 Whelan?

That would suck and I doubt that it would be the correct bore size. It would suck because 444 affectionoughts probably have a collection of .432" molds that would or wouldn't work. I think it will be over-bore because Marlin (H&R) uses the .002" to protect themselves from us reloaders. They think in terms of jacketed bullets and that .002" gives them breathing room (at least for their attorneys) with max loads (lowers pressure).

I own one of the original 500 H&R Ultra's chambered in 444 Marlin and it has the 1:38 and needs a .432" boolit. I traded a Handi-Rifle chambered in 30-30 Win for it :drinks:

Marlin Junky
01-08-2007, 02:27 PM
NEF replied this morning to my question about .444 twist and it's not good news. Yup, 1 turn in 38".

Doug,

I'm in the process of figuring out how to make the Whelen shoot. It has a .361" ball-seat about 1/3" inch long (possibly more, I need to double check) and .358" grooves; i.e., it can't be fed just any ol' boolit and expected to shoot whel. :roll: (I don't know why I put that in there, I pronounce Whelen, way-len)

MJ