PDA

View Full Version : red dots ....again sorry guys

bigboredad
07-03-2011, 07:28 PM
My question about the red dots is I am mainly looking for something to help out with load development. I just want to make sure i can get a good repeatable sight picture. That is something I struggle with when shooting for groups that I can never get a good repeatable sight picture. So do the guys that use them do they help you out or will I have the same problem since the dots will be so big

Baja_Traveler
07-03-2011, 07:34 PM
Get an UltraDot Matchdot. You can adjust the dot size down to a pinpoint if you want. It has 4 different dot sizes and 11 different brightness levels. I use one on my Single Six for smallbore silhouette, and it gives a great sight picture.

http://www.pbase.com/baja_traveler/image/135986346.jpg

Whitworth
07-03-2011, 07:43 PM
I like the Ultradot 30 and the Ultradot 4 quite a bit and I have found them very precise with regards to load development.

jh45gun
07-03-2011, 09:49 PM
I have a Bushnell Trophy that I really like after struggling with several cheaper red dots I can hit very well with the Bushnell.

44man
07-04-2011, 09:59 AM
I have pulled glass with a .44 from the Bushnell and Millet's. I had to steel bed the glass back in.
Ultra Dot for recoil.
All of my groups are shot with a 4" dot. Just find a target that you can center the dot in.
I find I can shoot better groups then with a scope.

HammerMTB
07-04-2011, 10:21 AM
Most of my dot sights are used for their speed.
That said, I found to use mine for accuracy I put the target on top of the dot like a front sight blade. Then I can better align everything.
4 minutes don't seem like much until you get it out there @ 100 or more. Then it subtends more than you'd like to miss.

fecmech
07-04-2011, 10:37 AM
I find for precision work with a dot that it's best to turn the brightness down to as much as possible. When testing ammo off the bench I'm almost looking through the dot. As the dot gets brighter you will get a small halo of chromatic aberration around the edges.

bigboredad
07-04-2011, 11:59 AM
thanks for all the ideas guys oh and happy 4th and a big thanks to all that served and to all those still serving. Thanks to a incurable disease I was unable to serve so a extra big thanks from me. Back on topic is there a certain techique for get a good repeatable sight picture or is it just something learned and different for each person

Char-Gar
07-04-2011, 12:13 PM
I use a Burris Speed Dot (3 MOA) and it is a good reliable optical sight that give a good repeatable sight picture and great accuracy. I would not use the larger dots for serious target shooting.

bobthenailer
07-04-2011, 12:13 PM
i have been shooting red dot almost since they came out ! i currently have over 20 ! I have been able to get excellent accuracy for load developement work! just use a round BE target or a black round dot on a plane target for the best accuracy where the red dot is a little smaller than the black dot your shooting at . the red dot sort of self centers it self in the black circle

buck1
07-04-2011, 12:25 PM
I am fairly new to red dots, But I have found. They can be VERY accurate. The trick is the target. A proper sized bullseye makes centering the dot easy. But too big or small of a bullseye makes it rough. Try a few sizes and you will be very pleased......Buck

Whitworth
07-05-2011, 08:59 AM
I am fairly new to red dots, But I have found. They can be VERY accurate. The trick is the target. A proper sized bullseye makes centering the dot easy. But too big or small of a bullseye makes it rough. Try a few sizes and you will be very pleased......Buck

Exactly! Well said, Buck!

subsonic
07-05-2011, 11:14 AM
I like paper plates for targets. Available in many sizes and inexpensive.

Larry Gibson
07-05-2011, 11:42 AM
I like the Burris Fast Fire as it is small and convenient to carry in a regular verical shoulder houlster which is slightly modified. I have a falt bottomed Weaver base on the top strap. Whe/if the BFF is easily and quickly removed the iron sights are still on the revolver and available for instant use as they are still zeroed also.

Revolver is a Ruger Bisley 7 1/2" barreled .41 Magnum, my favorite big game hunting revolver.

Larry Gibson

98Redline
07-05-2011, 11:52 AM
+1 on the MatchDot.

I love the adjustable dot size. The smallest setting works great for longer range work wile the larger sizes can be used for quick acquisition.

bigboredad
07-05-2011, 11:55 AM
I took a look at that burris fast fire at the local Sportsmans whse and was very impressed. However it may be out of my price range for now if things do happen to change and I'm able to walk good enough for a pig hunt that is what I'd really like to have

white eagle
07-05-2011, 12:20 PM
like it Larry
I have zero problems with my Ulta dot

bigboredad
07-05-2011, 12:41 PM
I've leaning towards the ultra dot. I picked up a bisley that has been drilled and tapped but the previous owner didn't do the work and has no idea for what base is was drilled for. Is the best way to find the correct base to take the gun in and have it matched up

white eagle
07-05-2011, 01:52 PM
yeah if your unsure thats what I would do
Mine (SBH) has,had a Weigland mount seems to work well.....
in the shop now for a tune up and rotation but will post up a pic for ya to see when done

44man
07-05-2011, 04:05 PM
The first BFR's did not come with a base so I made my own. I started with Weaver base material from Brownells. The Ultra Dot is the 4" one.
The hole in the top of this can was 5 shots at 100 yards by putting the bottom of the dot right on top of the can. You can do it without a tiny dot.
The other holes are from a .45 ACP rifle.

gray wolf
07-05-2011, 08:46 PM
What you want to do is not difficult, Lets take for granted that you are going to use a steady rest. Lets also face the fact that some folks are better than others so results will vary.
Large dots are used for fast action shooting and cover the biggest area of the target.
Smaller dot naturally covers a smaller area and will/should allow for more precise shooting.
Dots are supplied in MOA sizes, the # indicates the area it will/should cover at 100 yards. But lets remember this changes as the distance gets shorter.
So a 4 MOA dot scope will cover a 4" circle at 100 yards, it will cover a 2'' circle at 50 yards and cover about a little over an inch circle at 25 yards. My Nikon VLD with variable dots will go down to 1 MOA, so at the 1 MOA setting it will block out a 1'' target at 100 yards
1/2 " at fifty and a very small targets at 25 yards.
If you are looking for load development and want to shoot very small groups
I would look at the smallest dot that will work for you at the distance you are going to shoot at.
IMHO a scope will out shoot a dot all day long for precision shooting. But that's a matter of choice, And will get many different opinions.
Whatever size you choose-- try to have your target size so the dot covers it with a small margin of target showing. ( aim small miss small )
3 MOA dot should work for you but may not give the precision you are looking for.
But you didn't say how precise you wanted to be, load development can mean different things to different people.
Like with any site, consistency is what will give you repeatability.

subsonic
07-05-2011, 10:21 PM
I used to think that way, but I have since shot .5MOA groups with a 1x, 4moa dot on a rifle.

Guess it only makes sense since I can also shoot similar groups with irons on a good rifle. Iron sight rifle matches have scores similar to matches that allow optics. You can see mirage and see previous shots with the optics though....

A wise man once said "Magnification only helps you see better, not shoot more accurately."

I think I finally understand this fully. This same man liked to stick 2x LER scopes in front of the action on rifles.