PDA

View Full Version : c sharps highwall

dave roelle
07-03-2011, 07:23 PM
I have located one 45-70 plain jane rifle at a dealer---------i haven't handled it yet so i can't comment on condition

I am looking for a bit of feedback on the quality and performance of the c sharps 1885------------this would be a target rifle for me and probably see some silhouette use.

Any and all opinions appreciated

thanks in advance

dave

Gunlaker
07-03-2011, 08:55 PM
I have located one 45-70 plain jane rifle at a dealer---------i haven't handled it yet so i can't comment on condition

I am looking for a bit of feedback on the quality and performance of the c sharps 1885------------this would be a target rifle for me and probably see some silhouette use.

Any and all opinions appreciated

thanks in advance

dave

Hi Dave,

I have several of the C. Sharps rifles. Two are 1885's and three are 1874's. All of the 1874's and one of my 1885's function perfectly and are very accurate rifles.

The other 1885 is not quite as good. When I recieved it the extractor was not cut properly and it was chambered with a reamer that likely had a sloppy pilot. The rear of the chamber is quite oversized and the freebore has a diameter of 0.462" IIRC. Not good for accuracy with soft bullets. It does work quite well with hard bullets though interestingly.

I would have sent this one back if it weren't for the fact that I live in Canada.

I fixed the extractor myself and this summer will likely set the barrel back a bit and rechamber with a reamer of Dan Theodore's design.

So I guess you could say that 80% of my C. Sharps rifles are perfect. That one rifle hasn't stopped me from ordering another though. I have an (unchambered) .38 cal. 1885 coming soon.

Chris.

NickSS
07-03-2011, 10:23 PM
I have six C Sharps rifles (3 1875 models, 1 1874 and 2 High walls). All shoot and function well. One of my high walls I bought used off a guy and it had a tight chamber to the effect that my 40-65 Shells made from remington 45-70s would not always chamber. These shells work fine in my Shiloh Sharps rifle of that caliber. So I sent the rifle back and it was returned in less than two weeks fixed. Now it shoots extreamly well just like all the others do. The 40-65 is my prime silhouette rifle and it shoots much better than I can shoot it. Both of mine have single set triggers that function well.

dave roelle
07-04-2011, 02:30 PM
Thanks much for the feed back guy's-------------i'm going to have a look at the rifle this week and i'll be sure to check the chamber carefully.

One other question-----------------is this C Sharps High-wall action true to the original winchester ?

thanks again

dave

Gunlaker
07-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Thanks much for the feed back guy's-------------i'm going to have a look at the rifle this week and i'll be sure to check the chamber carefully.

One other question-----------------is this C Sharps High-wall action true to the original winchester ?

thanks again

dave

It's not an exact copy of the originals. I've never taken mine apart specifically to compare with an original, but there are some differences.

It is much simpler internally than the new Browning/Winchester BPCRs. One set screw and you push out a pin and the breech block comes out in your hand. It's easy to clean. And you can put it back together with just a pin punch to help line things up.

Chris.

NickSS
07-05-2011, 06:16 AM
There may be some differences from the original but it is very close to the late ones made after about 1900 as they do not use flat springs like the original. I never took one of mine apart except for taking the breach block out for cleaning all you need there is to remove the lever pivot screw and the entire assembly drops out the bottom.

dave roelle
07-05-2011, 07:48 AM
Hi Guy's:

Again thanks for the feedback----------glad the design is close to the original, reading up on the modern versions it seem that they are much more complex------------that usually means difficulties somewhere down the line.

I'll kave a look at the rifle in the next day or so.

again thanks

dave

Desert Pete
07-06-2011, 11:14 AM
I have two C. Sharps 1885 Highwalls, both of them are very accurate. If you shooting it as a target rifle make sure that it has the single set trigger.

MT Chambers
07-06-2011, 12:43 PM
C. Sharps rifles feature Badger Barrels, among the best and my favorite for cast bullets.

dave roelle
07-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Hi Feller's:

Thanks for the addition input---------------the rifle i'm looking at is a quite "plain jane" version of the C-Sharps highwall---------full octogan barrel--45 2.1 with the single set trigger.

I currently shoot a Shiloh 1874 #1 sporter ----------------the C- Sharps highwall will be the next addition to the "addiction"------------if i reach a reasonable deal--------also i'll need to get an accurate weight-------this will be a sillywet/huntin rifle

again--Thanks for the information

Dave