PDA

View Full Version : Crimping / Bullet band

brudford
07-03-2011, 05:25 PM
I'am loading a BP rifle load for my 1885 Low Wall in 38-40 . Casting from Lymans mould # 401043 . It has a bullet band and two nice grease grooves . I have used a light roll crimp on the band itself , dead center of the band . I have roll crimped right under the band at the top of the grease groove by where the entire band is showing . I have also roll crimped above the bullet band with the entire band inside the case mouth . I get good accuracy no matter where I crimp . What is the actual standard for that bullet as to where or how deep or the place to crimp on that bullet ? Thanks

NickSS
07-03-2011, 10:26 PM
If you are shooting black powder you probably do not need to crimp at all. If you want to crimp it should be in the crimping groove not on the band.

martinibelgian
07-04-2011, 05:28 AM
What purpose does the crimp have in a single shot rifle? None that I know of... Just seat the bullet to touch the rifling (or a bit off if you're shooting dirty), fill the case with powder and shoot. don't worry about crimp, no need for it in a single shot with BP

cajun shooter
07-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Your ammo will perform perfectly with no crimp as has been posted by other members. If you have too much of mouth expansion then you may smooth that out. Try seating a bullet into the case and letting it tell you when it has touched the barrel. Some old time shooters would smoke the bullet so that it was easy to see. I have read and seen over the years where a crimp destroyed accuracy of the bullet. If you have gotten good accuracy with all of your other crimps then you may see the full potential of your load with none. Good Luck