PDA

View Full Version : Casting slugs and loading them

Lizard333
07-03-2011, 09:26 AM
I have a few questions. First one is can a Mec reloaded reload slugs? Second is where to start? I have 12 gauges so that would be the slug I would cast. With this all completely new I have no where to start. I wouldn't know a good slug from a bad one. Where would be. Good place to start. What would be a good read on the subject? What manuals are you using for load data?

I also have a Beneli SS and was wondering if it was save to fire slugs through this. If not, my mossberg 500 will shoot anything.

sundog
07-03-2011, 09:39 AM
I load 12 ga 1 oz Lee slugs on a Mec, so yes, it is doable. Check for manuals at Ballistic Products, Inc.

SuperBlazingSabots
07-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Hello Lizard, I like your statement "Obama loves America, like OJ loved Nicole."
If only you promise to target practice on OJ's picture, we will all help you!
Just look at a number of threads on Lee Drive Key slug on this very first page!
Go with Blue Dot powder for $ 15 to 18
Ajay
Video Memories
www.PreciousVideoMemories.Com

1kshooter
07-03-2011, 03:28 PM
hey Lizard, send me a PM and I will walk you through all the steps and can even give some picks to help you out....I use the Lyman sabot slug as i wanted the best accuracy and hardest hitting slugs I could shoot through all my guns (smooth and rifled) and using components that are easy for me to obtain.....Lyman 525gr Sabot slug mold
....AA super handicap hulls
....Win WT12 wads
....Blue Dot powder
....Win 209 primeres
Thats what I use and works best for me ...the mold is not the cheapest but it is the best I have used so far!

Jonathan

diehard
07-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Lizard, You already have three great guides offering to help you get started, so I won't muddy the waters with more details. Except however, I would like you to know that loading slugs can be done on nearly any press I've seen, but really good, accurate slugs can also be loaded by hand without a press. Once you decide if you are going to cast your own (Lee or Lyman), and once you have chosen your components, certain inexpensive tools might be very helpful to you (note you can make your own...I only list inexpensive sources below to get started).

Unless I decide to fold crimp...which I do less and less these days, I have found the following tools helpful:

*An exacto knife for trimming the crimp off pre-crimped hulls

*A wad guide (cheap, buy many while they are still cheap)

*A "rammer" of appropriate gauge size either made from a dowel or purchased from the link below. This is to insert the wad, fillers and slug.

* a powder measure ( checked frequently against a scale). I firmly believe that you will not get consistent enough shot-to-shot slug accuracy using the powder bushings on your press)

* good roll crimper--I have several, but I love the $12 one offered by Precision Reloading. I use a hand drill with it to good effect.

* a good manual, from which to mine potential recipes.

I find, more and more, that I only use the press to resize, deprime, reprime, and occaisinally to fold crimp. All other operations are done by hand...and my slugs are getting better and better.

Of course my method does take some experience to get use to, and lots of time to accomplish, so you should start with a good press and a fold crimp and the great advice of the posters above until you know what you want out of a slug.

Here is where to find the gems that make loading easier.

OLD Lee Loader wad guides and rammers:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=6469

roll crimper:
http://www.precisionreloading.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=PRE&Category_Code=ROLL_CRIMPER

Anyway...I apologize for being more confusing than helpful . After you have loaded a bunch with your press, and want to try other methods, maybe I can actually help.

God Bless the Revolution and the ideals upon which it was was fought!
Happy 4th guys.

Laurel

1kshooter
07-03-2011, 06:04 PM
well done die hard!...I just picked up a Lee Hand Load set for 20ga...I think it is neat that all the loading stuff including powder wads and shot/slugs could be stored in a small pack and used at camp if the need arises!!!

JIMinPHX
07-07-2011, 12:13 PM
I've always been a pretty big fan of Lee Loaders for use with small quantities of metallic cartridges, but their shot shell loaders don't seem to be in the same league with the rest of them. They don't seem to work very well when it comes time to fold crimp a modern plastic shell. I am told that they did work well with the old paper shells, but I've never tried that myself.

As far as I know, Lee has discontinued making all the shotgun caliber Lee Loaders, but they still make them for several other rifle & pistol calibers. I wrote to Lee a few years ago to ask them to start making the .410 bore Lee Loaders again. I never got a response. I never found out if they stopped making them due to liability reasons or because they just didn't work well with modern shells. The liability issue arises because with the shot shell version, you place your hand over the loaded cartridge to push it all together. With the other Lee Loaders, a small mallet goes there in place of your hand, while your hand stays out of harm's way.

I did some fooling around & came up with an improved version of the .410 Lee Loader for my own personal use. It produces good shells as song as I use Winchester hulls. The other brands are too far dimensionally different & don't crimp well. I would need to make different crimp buttons to use them & get the same quality crimps. I had intended to sell some of these things, but decided not to due to liability reasons.

You can see more on my exploits with the shot shell Lee Loader here - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=20002&page=3
Around page 3, things started to work well.

diehard
07-07-2011, 01:37 PM
JIm,

As far as I know, Lee has discontinued making all the shotgun caliber Lee Loaders
You are right on target here, Jim. The link I posted is to Numrich Gun Parts, which seems to have bought all of Lee's leftover parts for their Lee Loaders. The only parts of the Lee loader you need (IMO)are the wad guide and the ram (half of the time I don't even use those, as its sometimes faster to stretch out the hull mouth by twirling a 5/8" dowel around a few times.

I guess my point was that in loading slugs most operations are quicker and produce better quality when done by hand instead of by machine. The machine is only needed for re-sizing, and fold crimping really. The other operations can be figured out with a little imagination. Also, a roll crimper can make better slugs once you get used to it.

Anyway...I'm sorry if I muddied the waters here.

FWIW...I do use a Lee Load-All II (never the bushings though...the powder tubes leak like heck no matter what I've done) and while the crimps are not as crisp as my Lyman press, the Lee Loader is far easier when switching back and forth between 2.5"-2.75" and 3" hulls.

ted60
07-18-2011, 01:45 AM
I use a Mec 600JR mark 5, I resize reprime, and use the powder bushing to throw powder, eliminate shot bottle, and crimp lips come down as powder is dumped into shell, then its simple to push a wad in and precrimp then final crimp, push charge bar back and start all over again,
BlueDot is the favorite HS-6 next for powder,I use AA/HS hulls but seems Rem STS are prefered,
I can make 50 rds in awhile, cheaper than store bought,I use the Lee 1oz slug I cast, its a nice cheap setup, not the fastest but it gives me my slugs, buck, and field loads, plus other things that can be shot down a cylinder bore, 12 ga. of course.