PDA

View Full Version : thompson sub gun cast bullet loading

emmie
07-03-2011, 09:13 AM
getting a thompson submachine gun,and want to shoot my 230 cast loads in it.
the thompson is FULL AUTO.

any one here load /shoot ,have any suggestions for the care and feeding of this grand old lady?

thank you for your time
emmie

3006guns
07-03-2011, 10:22 AM
The Thompson shouldn't be too fussy about loads, as long as they're up to normal strength. Since it uses a wide mouth sort of "funnel breech" it should feed pretty much anything that will fire, and that heavy bolt will ensure functioning.

As for tips and suggestions.....

1.) Make sure it's legal
2.) Point it in a safe direction!:bigsmyl2:

30CAL-TEXAN
07-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Just out of curiosity; which one are you getting?

1928 variant or M1? Rifled or Smooth bore?

emmie
07-04-2011, 01:53 AM
W/h m1a1

gmsharps
07-04-2011, 05:28 AM
I have a M1A1 and it just does not care what you put in it. I use my 200gr H&G mold in it and is fun to shoot and doesn't use as much lead. I use a modest 1911 target load with no feeding problems. It is a great stress buster.

GM

3006guns
07-04-2011, 09:31 AM
30CAL-TEXAN....What model Thompson was ever smooth bored?? That's a new one on me......

Longwood
07-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Do you have a case for it?
I am not sure, I may have saved this from this site.

Thumbcocker
07-04-2011, 10:56 AM
Two LEO's I used to know had Thompsons and shot the Lyman 225 grn rn that duplicates the profile of the hardball bullet. Both were fond of unique powder. They would also reuse 230 grn jacketed slugs that were not deformed (the departmetn they worked for had.45's as duty guns) I never got to see a slug with two sets of rifling grooves on it.

30CAL-TEXAN
07-04-2011, 11:05 AM
30CAL-TEXAN....What model Thompson was ever smooth bored?? That's a new one on me......

Apparently none of them now that I have pulled my head out of my backside!

Many moons ago, I remembered reading that when the M1 was developed they went with a smooth barrel to cut down on production costs and I had just assumed that they meant no rifling but now that I have read a little more about it I guess they must have been referring to the ribbed outer barrel meant to aid in cooling.

Pay no attention to the silly Texan [smilie=s: for he knows not of what he speaks!

georgewxxx
07-04-2011, 04:14 PM
I was just browsing through my 1936 Auto-Ordnance book and page 23 mentions a Peters Thompson .45 shot Cartridge they sell for "occasions or disorders to be handled by officers of the law in the most humane manner possible" The round contains 120 #8 bird shot and is a bit longer requiring a different mag. Couldn't find any mention of a smooth bore. I've seen those red paper tipped rounds at gun shows and have one newer R-P .45 ACP factory shot round in my collection. Bought a box of 50 bird shot rounds from an old guy in our club that were made out of cut down .308 cases.

3006guns
07-05-2011, 09:05 AM
I remember that shot cartridge from an Auto Ordnance catalog myself.....always wondered if they meant that thing to be fired full auto. Just ONE cartridge would be sufficient to dispatch a small animal humanely, but at 500rpm? I wonder if it would actually cycle the action.........

30CAL-TEXAN....LOL, don't worry about it! I'm the guy that about posted strange readings on my micrometer then realized I read it wrong....and I've been using one all my life! As the perfectionist said " I thought I made a mistake once, then I found out I was wrong".

MtGun44
07-06-2011, 06:50 PM
The only experience I have with boolits in a Thompson is one that absolutely would NOT
feed normal .45 ACP handloads with H&G 68s. The gun ran fine with factory ball, but only
1-2 shots before a FTF with normal H&G 68 handloads. No time to troubleshoot, but from
that, I'd try the Lyman 452374 225 RN.

Not sure of the vintage of the gun, but it is a real FA Thompson owned by the local sherrif's
dept.

Bill

ChuckJaxFL
07-09-2011, 12:58 AM
The only experience I have with boolits in a Thompson is one that absolutely would NOT
feed normal .45 ACP handloads with H&G 68s. The gun ran fine with factory ball, but only
1-2 shots before a FTF with normal H&G 68 handloads. No time to troubleshoot, but from
that, I'd try the Lyman 452374 225 RN.

Not sure of the vintage of the gun, but it is a real FA Thompson owned by the local sherrif's
dept.

Bill

And my buddy and I had the equal but opposite experience. We ran a 50 cal can of my H&G 68/3.8gr BE loads through his. Sooty, and a SLOW cyclic rate!

Artful
07-09-2011, 03:32 AM
Buy a cartridge gauge and test your reloads, try and duplicate factory ammo & dimensions and ballistics as much as possible

- If you don't have a Semi or progressive press and a star sizer you might put that on the list.

DanM
07-09-2011, 11:51 AM
The time I got to try a Thompson, I ran it with those button nose lee 200swcs. don't remember the load, but it was likely pretty warm. I do remember the experience well. three 20round stick mags fired at pins and steel plates. Great fun and no feed problems at all. Also no problem with muzzle climb. It was easy to keep it down on rows of pins or plates. The owner said that his would feed anything he had tried in it.

Artful
07-09-2011, 01:34 PM
Yep, my UZI and my friends Thompson both feed well but when you start reloading best course is to duplicate factory ammo first the go off to experiment after you have it running well