PDA

View Full Version : Rossi 92 question

firebrick43
07-03-2011, 01:04 AM
Last week I recieved my stainless Rossi 92 in 45colt. Like most it was rougher than a norwegian fjord but after installing a lee spring kit and deburring every thing inside and stoning the common points it smoother than owl s#%}.

However when moving the action medium or slow speeds (I know your supposed to move the lever fast and positive) the round sticks as it's being pushed up the carrier right where the rim is comming out of it's groove and the nose is in the chamber. It does it for 180, 200, and 250 grain loads well crimped. The chamber mouth is slightly beveled and deburred. If you push the round by hand it does the same thing but the slightest lift in the rear causes it to chamber.

The is no burrs catching.

Does anyone have suggestions? Some reason I think it's thefront of the carrier being to high??

Or do I just live with cycling the action fasts
!???

Thanks

Phillip
07-03-2011, 10:45 AM
I think you are feeling the extractor latching over the case's rim at that point of the round entering the chamber.

Stevegunz has a kit with a new spring that fixes that issue. He also recommends that you check the bolt and extractor for burrs as well to fix the heavy binding fleeing you are getting.

http://store.stevesgunz.com/

northmn
07-04-2011, 11:35 PM
Many winchesters also needed to be worked like you wanted to break them also. MY Rossi works well if I work it like I mean it.

DP

looseprojectile
07-05-2011, 03:30 PM
I was talking to a respected gun plumber about 92s and their feeding problems a few months ago. His statement was that the lifter has to be at the correct angle to work right. He told me exactly what that angle is but because of CRS I can't recall what that angle is. Some method of adjusting the heighth of the lifter when the lever is thrust forward needs to be addressed. I would think a shim soldered to the stop surface of the lifter could do it.
I would suggest sending the gun to a certified 92 mechanic if you can't do it yourself. The Rossis used to be so cheap a man could justify spending what it took to hire someone to smooth them up. At todays prices I would hope the maker got it right.
The lifter probably is not all that is causing your gun to stumble when feeding. A prickley ejector is a major hangup in a lot of new guns.
A good 92 will feed at any speed just not upside down.
I have worked on dozens of 92s and only had to give up on one that I could not make work. That one had been worked on by someone that had altered most of the critical parts to the point it was hopeless.

Life is good

Multigunner
07-05-2011, 03:47 PM
I've heard of feeding problems with the .45 Colt cartridge due to the case having next to no taper.
All the proprietary short cased Winchester lever action cartridges have significant taper, even the .44-40.

It stands to reason that there'd be some necessary modification to the cartridge lifter to obtain trouble free chambering.

I've heard of only one old time law man having a Winchester rebarreled to .45 Colt in order to have a carbine that could be used with the same cartridges as his handgun. He had this done after jamming his .44-40 rifle by putting a .45 Colt cartridge in it by mistake during a shootout.

I don't remember his name, this was in a very old article.

Some Mexican police departments had a box magazine fed copy of the 1892 made up to shoot the .45 ACP cartridge for the same reasons.

maglvr
07-05-2011, 09:26 PM
I feed my 16" Trapper version Rossi 92 with the 45-270-SAA and speed doesn't matter in the least.
I had one years back that wanted it fast and furious so that's what I gave it, with time it wore in nicely.

Stevie
07-06-2011, 01:16 AM
My new Rossi .44 mag feeds fairly slick..slow or fast.

I was somewhat impressed with its smoothness of feed...smoother than a more expensive Marlin Cowboy carbine in .45 Colt I own.

firebrick43
07-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Well I polished the side guides and modified the groove shape ever so slightly.

Also polished the carrier to a mirror finish and removed 1.5 coils from the detent spring and stretched it back to original length.

As stated in my first post all other springs had been changed out and I was have feeding problems long before the extractor/ejector came in to play.

Now it feeds so smooth that you can't feel any thing in the action except the last 1/8" when the extractor goes over the rim and that doesn't take much either.

My marlin snob friend friend admitted it was better that his older .44mag 1894.

Amazingly it's very accurate as well. At 50 yards it was shooting touching 3shot groups and at 100 it was shooting a 20 shot group about 3" wide by 5" tall but the Rossi sights are terrible, not very crisp due to rough machining. Need to order a gold bead front and marble buckhorn rear sight.

Thanks
Jay

cajun shooter
07-08-2011, 01:06 PM
Firebrick43, I have owned three Rossi 45 Colts and each of them was a jewel to shoot. A few required some work and the one with the half and half barrel imported by Interarms was a honey that required only a main spring change to be a competitive SASS rifle. The SS45 Colt was the hardest to run.That is because all SS guns will gall if not well oiled with a SS type of lube. The 45 Colt will also have the most blow back if shooting BP because of it being a straight sided case. The best caliber to shoot is the 44-40 as it seals the chamber and barrel. You can help the 45 by first buying the DVD from Steve's Gunz. If you anneal the cases and use the upper loads the chamber will seal much better also. A good oil and fast cycling will bring the rifle into a slick firearm. As far as sights go Steve can help you out with that also. The .130 front at medium height and the flat top rear makes for a very fast gun to use and bring to sight.

Artful
07-08-2011, 01:09 PM
Good work

Phat Man Mike
07-11-2011, 02:35 PM
bought the DVD from Stevesgunz and wow now it runs like greased glass :) it's the Rossi 45 Colt long barrel .

Ed Barrett
07-16-2011, 01:30 AM
just an opinion from what I;ve seen. I have two Rossi 92s, a 357 mag and a 454 casull. I run them with both 357s and 38 specials and 454s and 45 colts. Neither one ever gave a problem feeding out of the box. I do full length resize all cases. Most of the problems I have seen with other people have was caused by minimum sizing.

Clinebo
07-22-2011, 05:30 PM
I did the action work on my '92 in .45 Colt as per Steve's Gunz DVD. I also changed out the plastic mag follower for a metal one,got rid of the phoney safety,and added a Ghost Ring rear and Hi-Viz front sight. Its also wearing a 3/4 loop lever now. It cycles and shoots like a dream.

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr336/RCline69/Rossi/IMG_0466.jpg