PDA

View Full Version : Remington Saddle Ring Rolling Block question

bdbullets
07-02-2011, 11:14 PM
Last fall I traded for a Remington Rolling Block Saddle Ring that has been reworked in 45/70. The last date on the reciever is 1874. I have been shooting 25gr. of 2400 powder and a 400gr. cast gas checked boolit. Is this too hot of a load for this gun? I have shot it probably around 100 rounds with no problems but reading the other posts below I am worried that this is too hot for the action.

Here is the information that came with the gun:

Custom crafted Remington rolling block single shot rifle, caliber 45/70, created circa 1967 by master machinist and gunsmith, James Palmquist of Omaha Nebr. In answer to a special order from George Toozer also of Omaha. Using an Original remington rolling block saddle ring receiver, Furnished by Mr. Toozer, calling for a new Douglas Supreme .458 bore barre, a straight stock and matching forend (AA+ grade or above), Having a Neidner checkered steel buttplate installed. Also ordered was a british express three-leaf sight. Note: no factory epress sights were available to match the taper of the new barrel, so, at the insistence of mr. Toozer the sight was made special order by mr. Palmquist. The amount Mr. toozer paid to have this rifle built was in excess of $2700.00, in 1967.
Here are a few pictures.

GOPHER SLAYER
07-02-2011, 11:53 PM
I hope Mr Tooser isn't alive and reading these words but good grief, what was he thinking. I was really into single shots in the late sixties and I can testify that you could buy original sporting rifles from any of the name makers far a fourth of what he paid for that rifle. As for military reworks, I bought two 1910 Rollers chambered for 45-70 with Douglas barrels and Redfield sights for 75 dollars each. Both were in excellent condition. Being always short on funds, I was forced to pass on many original sporting rifles for a hundred bucks or a little over that. Being short of funds seems to be a lifetime condition with me.

Ed in North Texas
07-03-2011, 10:51 AM
25 grains of 2400 under a 400 grain JSP bullet is listed as a maximum load for a Trapdoor Springfield in MD Smith's reloading pages. 1260 fps and 24,000 CUP with a 405 grain JSP Remington Bullet according to the Hercules Reloading guide, 1985 edition.

I could not find a definitive answer to the max pressure for the #1 roller, though I did find mentions of .257 Roberts conversions being considered "max". And some stouthearted folks claim 40k psi. I can't recommend the latter.

Chicken Thief
07-03-2011, 02:54 PM
By 2400 i asume that you mean Alliant 2400 and i could not find a true 400gr lead boolit in QL.
So 18" barrel 24 grains alliant 2400 and a Lee 405gr boolit with the start pressure upped to 120bar to accomodate the gas check.

Heres the data:

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm153/Chickenthief/Skydning/RB2400load.jpg

Nobade
07-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Personally, I would never fire a black powder rolling block with smokeless powder. I know loads of people do so and seldom get hurt, but I don't. There are too many rifles out there that are made for smokeless to be doing it to one that is not. Besides, black is more fun.

NickSS
07-03-2011, 10:15 PM
I have had a lot of rollers over the years and if they are nice and tight they are fine with trapdoor level loads of smokeless. I personally would not go hotter as most that I have seen have large diameter firing pins and smash the primer hard. And you do not want a pierced primer in a roller. As to the price paid for it in the Sixties the guy got took unless the rifle is engraved by a master engraver. I have a No. 1 roller that is an original sporting rifle with AA fancy wood in excellent condition that I paid $2200 for back in 1999. This means that the rifle probably would have brought a couple hundred bucks in the 60s. I was buying near mint condition military rollers and TD back then for $20-$30.

bdbullets
07-04-2011, 01:25 AM
That is the information I got with the gun. I just had to get it when I saw it, it is in like new condition ,and the workmanship on this gun if fantastic.
I traded a Marlin 44mag for it, so I am into it pretty reasonable. I had a Browning 1885 in 45/70 and shooting them side by side the Remington is far more accurate with the load that I listed then the Browning is. I just want to make sure that it is a safe load for this gun. there are no signs of any preasure on the primers so I am thinking it should be pretty safe.

Wayne Smith
07-04-2011, 08:40 AM
That is the information I got with the gun. I just had to get it when I saw it, it is in like new condition ,and the workmanship on this gun if fantastic.
I traded a Marlin 44mag for it, so I am into it pretty reasonable. I had a Browning 1885 in 45/70 and shooting them side by side the Remington is far more accurate with the load that I listed then the Browning is. I just want to make sure that it is a safe load for this gun. there are no signs of any preasure on the primers so I am thinking it should be pretty safe.

I would agree that you are safe at that load. You really should run some Black through it to see how it ought to shoot!