PDA

View Full Version : Bair shell holder chart

Wayne Smith
07-02-2011, 11:09 AM
Does anyone out there have a Bair shell holder chart? I got a Bair #9 off eBay proportedly for the 32-20 series of cartridges. It's not. Somebody scribbled on the box, a Bair box but not a shell holder box, "455 Webly's Colt".

I'd like to verify the actual application before I put it up for sale.

Pavogrande
07-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Bair is listed as the same as pacific on my chart - #9 = both 455webley and 44/40 -38/40

Wayne Smith
07-02-2011, 02:52 PM
Thank you! I can use it after all.

Pressman
07-02-2011, 02:55 PM
Bair Cat #1 lists the 9 as 38-40 and 44-40.

Ken

Mk42gunner
07-03-2011, 07:50 AM
So if Bair is the same as Pacific, does that mean they are also the same numbers as Hornady shell holders?

I'm just curious, I don't have any Bair or Pacific shell holders yet. Always on the lookout for bargains though.

Robert

Pressman
07-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Bair was started by Deitmeyer after the Pacific board of directors kicked him out. He copied everything in the old Pacific line. Pacific went on to form an alliance with Hornady that ended with Hornady buying them, using the Pacific name for a few years then dropping Pacifc for the Hornady brand.
So, Hornady shellholders could use the same numbering system as Pacific, or they may not.

Ken

Mk42gunner
07-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Thanks Ken,

One of my pet peeves is the so called "universal shellholder." My question is how can they be universal if everyone that makes them has a different numbering system for the same item?

Robert

Pressman
07-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Robert now you are on to a different tool. The Universal shellholder is marketed as the one shellholder to fit all sizes of cartridge rim sizes. It uses three floating jaws to engage the rim. While it does work it is clumsy to use and not very popular.

The snap in shellholder that we use today is the "RCBS" shellholder. They invented it in 1955 to go along with the introduction of the new Model A press. They never patented them, thank goodness for that as we would probably have a hodge-podge of different designs today.

Prior to then there was no standard procedure for marking shellholders; some had numbers, some were stamped or scribed with a caliber and most were not marked at all.
RCBS came up with a numbering system that worked for them, Lyman already had a system for their J shellholders and everyone else followed along.

For example take Herter's, they sold four different types of shellholders. Three types use the same number system. One is unknown, it was an H type and most of those from that period were not marked. Keeping everything under one system per brand makes a lot of business sense.

Ken