PDA

View Full Version : Browning 95 in 30-40 moving up to the next level

Char-Gar
06-05-2005, 03:56 PM
I am taking the plunge and sending my Browing 95 in 30-40 to Mic McPherson to do his magic. He will be installing new super fancy wood and in doing to adding a through bolt to replace the tang screws as a method of attatchment. He will also slick up the action and drop the trigger pull a couple of pounds.

According to testamonies, all of this should improve the accuracy, as well as being hell for stout. It will be a heck of allot prettier if nothing else.

I have about 2K rounds of cast bullets through this rifle and groups from good loads run from 1.5 - 2 MOA depending on the how well I am shooting that day. It will be be interesting to see if the accuracy picks up and if so how much. It it is indeed magic, I have a fine Marlin 336A that will be next.

Stay tuned to this station for more information....

JDL
06-07-2005, 11:36 AM
Charger,
Sounds like you're going all out! I would love to see some pix after the surgery, especially the 336A.-JDL

Char-Gar
06-07-2005, 11:55 AM
I will post some pics when I get it in my hands again and it is all finished and gussied up. I am going to do the final finish on the wood. I enjoy doing that and when I do it, I can repair it from time to time with no problems.

I got the rifle in the mail yesterday to Mic. He is off at the Shootist Holliday in Raton and will be back later this week.

LIMPINGJ
06-09-2005, 11:49 PM
Chargar what sights do you have on the 95? I am just starting to work with mine but will have to come up with a receiver sight to do it justice.
Jim

Char-Gar
06-10-2005, 09:07 AM
Limp;ing..I have a set of Ashley/XS sights on the rifle. I got the rear ring threaded to use screw in disc apertures. I find those large "ghost ring" too large for fine accuracy. These sights are a bit dicey to adjust, but hold their adjustment once set. You have to drill and tap the bolt for the rear sight. The front sight is a pin in proposition.

Buffalo arms sells a replica of the old Lyman 38 sight for the 95. They are pricey but great receiver sights.

I managed to score a NIB Redifled 102U for the 95 on Ebay. They are not regular items, but do come up from time to time. I am hanging on to mine for the .405 95 levergun on my wish list.