PDA

View Full Version : Wurlitzer organ

odinohi
07-02-2011, 08:10 AM
I have the opportunity to get a Wurlitzer organ for free. Does anyone know if these organs contain tin?

Gswain
07-02-2011, 09:13 AM
In a small quantity it is possible, probably used as solder. Unless it is completely destroyed though I suspect that it would be worth FAR more intact than scavenged for its materials. It would probably also depend on how old it is, a newer one would probably have less tin. Not sure though.

geargnasher
07-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Odds are, no. You didn't say if it was a church model, theatre model, or living room version. If it was made after WWII it is probably an electric reed organ. Some of the older ones had internal manifolds and reedbox and did contain some tin, but it was mostly "common metal" as organists refer to it, about 90% lead. The pump is worth more for scrap than the organ.

The only significant source of boolit metal from pipe organs is from some of the air-transfer plumbing pipe, the pipes themselves (0-100% lead, some [rarely] have antimony in them, many "resonators" are pure zink),and miscl. tuning stops, gates and hardware. If you have a chance to get some real organ pipes, they are worth more as they are if you have a complete octave than they are from scrap, even at today's prices.

Gear

odinohi
07-02-2011, 11:10 PM
I believe its probably a living room model. Saw it on craigs list. Its only a 10 minute drive from the house. Did pretty well this weekend with WW's. Also found a (brass table lamp free at a garage sale. Talked to the dude at the scrap yard and he said to smack it with a hammer. I did and it punched a hole through it. White metal inside, probably zinc. Thats OK, it went into my zinc bucket. Someday I'll search for the right person to buy it. Thanks guys for the info about the organ.

Tom

BulletFactory
07-02-2011, 11:53 PM
I took apart a player piano and found a pound or so, of lead tubing inside.

Lee S. Forsberg
07-03-2011, 12:50 AM
I have the opportunity to get a Wurlitzer organ for free. Does anyone know if these organs contain tin?

Used to work for Wurlitzer. No tin unless very old

odinohi
07-03-2011, 05:55 AM
Thanks Lee and all. Think I'll save my back for moving lead around.

Tom