PDA

View Full Version : Lube of mold

milprileb
07-02-2011, 08:09 AM
May I please ask for some clarification on lubrication of Lee 6 Cav. Molds?

I know you lube the two pins.

What else gets lubed? Does sprue plate hinge screw, sprue plate itself, the sprue plate notch that locks to the post (bolt) ?

This may seem basic but reading many threads posted on the forums, the subject seems vague at times.

I gather the elixir of choice is BullPlate or Raphine. Just where one puts this stuff seems foggy to me.

HeavyMetal
07-02-2011, 08:41 AM
when I "prep" a new mold, specifically the Lee 6 banger, I lube the pivot points of the sprue plate.

Since I always add a set screw to the pivot bolt I will lube this as I put it back together as well as the camming handle bolt and "bearing" area including the point of contact wear area under the cam.

If your going to use Bull Plate lube get a small pin oiler and keep it on the casting bench to use as needed during casting.

All the areas you mention in your post need lubed! The trick is to do so without getting it in the cavities!

milprileb
07-02-2011, 08:47 AM
How do you lube a sprue plate and not get this lube migrating into the cavities?

The underside of the sprue plate to be specific ...that is the area I seem to read others are lubing but I have no idea how they do it and not foul up the cavities.

One poster said he uses Raphine and thats the trick .

All ears at my end so I hope you will comment.[smilie=b:[smilie=b:

LUCKYDAWG13
07-02-2011, 09:01 AM
use just a drop on a Qtip

milprileb
07-02-2011, 09:07 AM
use just a drop on a Qtip

Okay, one drop where ?

and one drop of what ?

LUCKYDAWG13
07-02-2011, 09:20 AM
ok put a drop on the end off you Qtip rub on your sprue plate and on top of mold
this is how i put bull plate sprue lube on

milprileb
07-02-2011, 09:23 AM
So rub top of mold surface and bottom of sprue plate: that correct.

Use Q tip with 1 drop of Bullplate on both surfaces.

Pls confirm , thanks

LUCKYDAWG13
07-02-2011, 09:28 AM
yes bottom of sprue plat top of mold that stuff works great

07-02-2011, 09:48 AM
Apply Bullplate to the top of the mould to dropping the boolits. Apply Bullplate at the end of the casting session, and the mould will be ready for the start of the next one.