PDA

View Full Version : Rem. 721 Fix

smokemjoe
07-01-2011, 10:16 PM
Last week I picked up a nice looking Rem.721 in 30-06, Looking for it for cast bullet shooting. I didnt take it out to try, You could run the bolt in and out on saftey on or off. Taking it apart the sear spring wasnt in place, made a pin for it would stay in a odd place, Trigger all gummed up, Speed 4 days pillow bedding and glassed, Put it together and it wouldnt feed the shells, See that someone opened up the rails some, Pulled on the mag. follower spring and it broke, had crystal lies on a bend,Now the deal stinks, digging in by junk box I found a 1917 Enfield follower spring and it fit perfect and alot of pressure when fitted, Now it feeds perfect, Part from 1917 fixed a 1960s rifle.

fourarmed
07-07-2011, 04:27 PM
I have heard of using the 1917 spring. Glad to know it worked. I have run into trigger problems on 721s before. Disassembling and filing off any burrs on the inside of the housing, then cleaning and reassembling made wonderful triggers out of them. Probably a good idea to loctite or epoxy the trigger adjustment screws after you get them set, too. They don't fit as tightly as on some of the later 700 triggers. If you decide to try a synthetic stock, the 700 BDL stocks work great. The ADL ones will work, but you have to buy a trigger guard.