PDA

View Full Version : Lee Pro Revisited

nelson133
01-06-2007, 02:45 PM
A little while ago I posted here asking about a Lee Pro 1000 that I'd had for a while, but never used. I now have loaded about 1500 rounds of 9mm and thought I'd post my impressions.
It's a heck of a lot faster that single stage reloading, though the average speed is lower than it could be because of the number of times that I have had to stop and tinker with it. I am running somewhere between 125 to 200 rounds per hour.
The primer system is truly a PITA. You really have to feel those primers go in because if you don't seat the primer the spilled powder will stop up the machine and you have to clean it out again. If you get a primer jam, just clearing the stuck, crushed, tilted primer may not be enough, you must stop and examine it carefully or your problems may increase. Getting the primer tray properly inserted into the machine is part of the learning curve. Crushing a primer and having the pieces get into the mechanism is even more fun. Suggestion, if the primer doesn't feel like it's going in right, stop, don't force it.
Being a tinkerer and taking time to understand how the machine works is essential. Lots of little things need to be fiddled with and that skill will be needed, not that there is anything hard about it, but it is more complex than changing a light bulb.
The indexing works well and the indexing adjustment works well. It is very difficult to double charge a case, but you should check anyway. It is possible to double charge a case it you get to tinkering while running cases through the machine. I suggest taking the cases out of the machine before tinkering. when removing cases, I have found that it is best to raise the ram about 1/2 way and rotate the shell plate around to remove cases. If you just pull them out of the station, you can bend the little arm that holds the case and the the primer won't line up and you will have big problems, don't ask me how I know this.
Overall. I am pretty well pleased with the thing. Now that I have some idea of what I am doing, I am getting faster and the stoppages are less frequent and are.being cleared faster.
I liked it enough to buy a second one from Lee's surplus list for $82 and some caliber change parts from Midway. Now that I''m temporarily out of 9mm bullets, I'll have to start with another caliber.
Thanks again to all those who responded to my earlier post with helpful suggestions.

35remington
01-06-2007, 03:37 PM
Most times, as I mentioned before, the reason the primer doesn't feed properly is due to insufficient weight of primers above it to force it straight on to the primer punch. Make sure you agitate the primer feed about every 3-4 cases to be sure the primer feed column has enough primers in it to work correctly.

And I agree, if the primer doesn't feel right, don't force it. You can avoid most problems this way.

Also, make sure your indexing is properly timed, to make sure the shellplate snaps into the proper position to receive the primer. If it over or under indexes the primer and punch are slightly out of position and it tilts the primer on the seating punch.

Mine is seventeen years old. Still works, but had to replace the primer feed cutoff once.

I guess I don't understand the reason the primer feed causes the powder dispenser to spill powder. Could you explain how this happens in some detail? Mine doesn't spill powder no matter what happens to the primer. This may have to do with the powder I'm using.

I would guess that you are using, perhaps, a super fine ball powder that drains almost completely out the open primer hole?

I use a fluffy powder such as Red Dot for all my progressive loading. Try double charging a top end load using Red Dot in a 9mm or .45 ACP case. For example, 5-5.2 grains Red Dot works in the .45 ACP with 155-230 grain bullets. Try twice this amount and see how full the case is. Very easy to see if you look at the case while seating the bullet. Same is true for the 9mm, and the larger Red Dot flakes don't drain out the priming hole in a sufficient amount to cause press jams. I've never had to clean powder out of my press to keep it operating. The Red Dot meters well out of the Auto Disk measure, but do not try to go too light with the powder charge. Keep them at standard velocities. If the powder cavity is too small, as might be used for very light loads, the powder does not settle uniformly in the cavity (bridges over the small cavity opening) and powder charges can vary. The 9mm will have no problem with Red Dot at factory velocity equivalents.

nelson133
01-06-2007, 06:14 PM
I didn't explain myself well enough perhaps. If you don't feel the primer going into the pocket, it probably didn't and when the case fills with powder on the upstroke, the powder falls out through the flash hole and clogs up the mechanism.

35remington
01-06-2007, 06:53 PM
Yep, that's what I thought.

You covered the point when you said if you can't feel the primer seating, it probably didn't.

Quite true.

trickyasafox
01-06-2007, 07:15 PM
i responded to your thread on THR too. the offer still stands if you want that shell plate. enough people have really helped me out that i can do my best to return the favor.

Sundogg1911
01-15-2007, 12:13 PM
I had a pro 1000 that I purchased for 9mm and 40 S&W. I couldn't wait to get rid of it. It was nothing but trouble. I now have a Dillon SDB set up for .45 ACP, a Dillon 550B with 12 complete caliber change overs, a rockchucker, and a Lyman turret. (rarley used) I do still have a Lee "C" style press that I use for decapping and case prep. For Progressive presses, you can't beat the Dillons! (Their customer survice is second to none too!)