PDA

View Full Version : Neck tension

GSSP
07-01-2011, 04:44 PM
I'm not new to casting/shooting for handguns but am new to the rifle arena.

I've got a new LBT 2-bullet mold for my 9.3x62. Bullet cast is a 170 gr WFN. Using WW, it comes out .368" and sizes .365". I obtained an M-die from Buffalo Arms which measure .366" to .369". When running the M-die through new, sized, Hornady brass their is barely tension on the bullet.

I use Redding die set # 80345. Can I, should I, use the bullet seating die to crimp the neck or is their some other option to create more neck tension?

Thanks,

Alan

Von Gruff
07-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Two areas to look at. Do you need to size to 365. If you barrel will allow you could lapp out your sizer to .367 or .368 to just set the GC and lube. This would give neck tension without the need to crimp. If the m die stem is .366-.369 you could polish it down till it meets your needs. Have you slugged your barrel to find out what you need then you can make the decision as to the best aproach to get the neck tension you want. Style of shooting can effect how much you want or need as in single loaded for target shooting can need very little where for magazine loaded hunting rounds you may want a bit more. I vary mine by using different sizing dies for the boolit and different neck sizing bushes for the case.

Von Gruff.

GSSP
07-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Von Gruff,

Thanks for the ideas. I should have said earlier. Veral had me send him throat slugs from my chamber so all the measurements, the Buffalo Arms custom M-die and custom sizer die are from his suggestions. I was a little surprised myself when he stated my sizer die need be .365".

Could I run a loaded round into the FL sizing die just a skootch to give a little tension to the neck, onto the loaded bullet?

Alan

PacMan
07-01-2011, 10:05 PM
May i ask what size the mold is marked as?

PacMan
07-01-2011, 10:13 PM
I keep reading your post and somthing does not seem right.I would have no clue why Veral would recomend those sizes on the size and M die. I would try the bullet as cast without sizing. Really seems like miscommunication in a way.
Dwight

GSSP
07-01-2011, 10:16 PM
.367 170 lfn wfn

Dwight,

I'll try them without sizing. Oh, and by the way, i've yet to even shoot them in the rifle yet.

Alan

Von Gruff
07-02-2011, 05:22 AM
I think you need to re-check with Veral on the numbers he gave you. The nominal jacketed bullet dia is .366 so I would be wondering why a recomended .365 for sizing dia. With a mould dropping at .368 I would think that trying to seat an unsized cast boolit in a case and checking for chambering would be my first step. If it will chamber I would be lapping out the sizing dia till I got neck tension and shooting a test batch with the largest size you can manage to GC and lube and still chamber. If you dont want to lapp the die initially you can use the collet on your case trimmer to crimp the GC onto an unsized cast boolit and dip or pan lube for a trial batch.

Von Gruff.