PDA

View Full Version : Unplugging a Lee bottom caster??

greg gremlin
07-01-2011, 04:06 PM
My Lee has a case of the slows. What would be the best way to clean spout? Thought of draining and using appropriate size drill bit, but would like expert opinions first!! thanks, greg :cbpour:

madsenshooter
07-01-2011, 04:20 PM
The little drill bit works for me. Sometimes a thorough cleaning is in order so that you don't have to keep unplugging it. Your drill bit gets what is presently in the hole, but there's other stuff sitting on the bottom of the melt just waiting for it's turn. A long wire brush that goes on the end of a drill works good. Get it loose then blow it out with the air hose.

XBT
07-01-2011, 04:35 PM
To clear while casting I have used a small wire, (a straightened out paperclip works well). Just hold the wire in a pair of pliers and run it up the spout from the bottom while holding the spout lever up. Once the blockage is disturbed the weight of the lead will flush it out nicely.

You will spill a small amount of lead on the pliers and on the bottom plate of the pot, but that is easy to clean up.

winelover
07-01-2011, 05:59 PM
To clear while casting I have used a small wire, (a straightened out paperclip works well). Just hold the wire in a pair of pliers and run it up the spout from the bottom while holding the spout lever up. Once the blockage is disturbed the weight of the lead will flush it out nicely.

You will spill a small amount of lead on the pliers and on the bottom plate of the pot, but that is easy to clean up.

Similar to what I do, except I keep a set of old wire rim eyeglass ear pieces (minus the plastic) handy to clear the spout. No need for the pliers.

Winelover

Ausglock
07-01-2011, 09:14 PM
G'day All.
I found that Mig welding wire (0.8mm Dia) is great for clearing the bottom spout hole.
It is stiffer than ordinary wire and doesn't bend.

geargnasher
07-01-2011, 09:32 PM
It may be plugged with debris, or it may be freezing. Heat it with a propane torch to get it flowing, and if it stops again turn up the thermostat a notch. If you have crud clogging it, you will have crud in your boolits causing inclusions. The best thing to do is drain it (ladle it out with a small stainless-steel Au-Jus ladle from China Mart if you have to) and CLEAN it. Take out the valve pintle rod and clean the whole pot with a wire cup brush in a drill (wear a dust mask!), clean out the spout area with a torch and old bronze bore brush, then a drill if necessary, then wash the pot with dish detergent and hot water. If the pintle and seat look rough, lap the valve pintle into it's seat with some automotive valve grinding paste, and clean that out. Only put CLEAN ingots into your pot after that, and re-clean the pot every few sessions.

Gear

uscra112
07-03-2011, 09:43 PM
Just poking it didn't work well for me. I've done Geargnasher's complete cleanup on mine, (which is a PITA), often enough that I've put it away and will cast with a ladle from now on.

imashooter2
07-03-2011, 10:22 PM
I lashed a bent paper clip to a piece of wood dowel. To clean, I insert the wire, lift the handle and let a fair amount of lead flow out while twisting and jiggling the wire.

Jim
07-03-2011, 10:40 PM
I lashed a bent paper clip to a piece of wood dowel. To clean, I insert the wire, lift the handle and let a fair amount of lead flow out while twisting and jiggling the wire.

I got to where I had to do the same thing on a regular basis. I finally pitched it in the dumpster.

Longwood
07-03-2011, 11:06 PM
I got to where I had to do the same thing on a regular basis. I finally pitched it in the dumpster.

It sounds to me like people may be dealing with a symptom instead of the problem.
I have a Lee pot and have only had it plug when the temp was too low. As soon as the temperature back came up the spout was clear and working.
I have no idea how they are constructed inside but before I tossed one, I would take it apart to see if the heating element is damaged or was improperly installed.

Longwood
07-03-2011, 11:14 PM
The best thing I have found for keeping the spout clean is a wood handled spoon that I ground a flat spot on one side and the end. It will scrape and clean the sides and bottom of the pot where a stick or rounded spoon will not.

imashooter2
07-03-2011, 11:36 PM

I must have the only Lee pot on the planet that works. I put clean lead in the top and pour boolits from the bottom. No dripping, the paper clip gets used rarely and flow is immediately restored when it is.

Doby45
07-04-2011, 11:49 PM
I must have the only Lee pot on the planet that works. I put clean lead in the top and pour boolits from the bottom. No dripping, the paper clip gets used rarely and flow is immediately restored when it is.

Nope, it ain't just you. Mine works every time just as it is suppose to.

plainsman456
07-05-2011, 12:23 AM
I used mig wire to make an old pot pour correctly.
Be sure to wear them gloves when doing that.

Frozone
07-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Mine works most of the time.

BUT every now and then it gets a little dirty lead into it or I let it sit a little to long and it gets stuff on the inside.

Drain it and use a wire brush to bring it back to bare metal. It'll work like new (that may or may not be good thing for some;-) )

mold maker
07-07-2011, 04:59 PM
I just got another 4-20 LEE pot. I now have 3 and they all do exactly what I expect of them. If they ocassionaly drip I do as those above with a wire. I also have a Lyman pot that has spout freeze problems.