PDA

View Full Version : Grandma's Fig Preserve Recipe

Trey45
07-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Important Note:
Measure Fruit Before Cooking! This determines how much sugar you use.

Wash and remove stems from the figs.
Cover figs with water and boil for 2 minutes.
Remove figs from water, save the water to make your syrup.
Use half as much sugar as you did figs for syrup.
Example, if you used 4 cups of figs, you will use 2 cups of sugar.
Stir sugar in hot water until dissolved, then bring to a boil.
Add figs and cook until thick, *at this point, some folks add whole lemon slices (no seeds) to cook with the figs, there's no right or wrong way, it's to taste, if you like lemon slices in your fig preserves, add them, if you don't like them, don't add them.
Once you have the thickness you want, pack into hot sterile jars, wipe rim and seal.

* The lemon cuts the sweet some, and adds a pretty color to your preserves. Personally, I never cared for the lemon in the preserves, although some folks do. The lemon slices should be added before the mixture gets thick, add the slices with the figs and cook it all together.

oneokie
07-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Sounds good.

I sometimes use orange peel to add a different taste to fig preserves. Have also added a dash of cinnamon to some.

pmeisel
07-03-2011, 06:47 PM
My wife does the same thing, except she doesn't take the figs out and put em back, she just stirs the figs and the sugar together. Its excellent stuff. My favorite breakfast is a cup of cottage cheese with a couple heaping tablespoons of fig preserves on top.

10 ga
07-12-2011, 08:26 PM
I use equal ammounts of figs and sugar ie.. 2 cups of 1/4 and stemmed packed figs and 2 cups sugar. Mix and allow to sit for a couple of hours, then bring to a boil and put in "cans" and seal. Yeah, dad likes to add some citrus slices but I just like the figs. 10