PDA

View Full Version : new moulds and problems!

RU shooter
01-06-2007, 12:36 PM
I just got my 2 new lee moulds from midway ( 185-.312) and 160-.312 TL) and did a good cleaning job on them. I tried them out last night and again this morning and I am alittle disappointed they both are dropping at .310-311 :( and fill out is not real good just ugly lookin boolits with big flaws compaired to my other lee 155-312 . I tried a second and third cleaning and traced the vent lines on the mould with a razor knife but still ugly boolits and undersized? I tried the 155 at the same time this morning and they fell .312-.3125 and no flaws, the one half of the 185 gr'er is the only side I'm getting a flaw and the 160 TL is just ugly! Could it be my WW alloy isnt hot enough? I'm using a wally world hot plate and a 5"dia. stainless bowl ,Seems hot enough for the 155 though although the corners arent razor sharp but they atleast look respectable. Any thoughts , Ideas, sugestions Im about ready to send these back to Lee and say fix it or keep 'em!

mooman76
01-06-2007, 12:42 PM
Sounds like the mould isn't getting hot enough.

imashooter2
01-06-2007, 01:07 PM
Float the mold on the melt for a minute or 2 then try again.

What is the diameter of the contact area between bowl and hotplate? Think you are getting enough heat transfer to get the melt up around 750* or so?

Just as an aside... A 5 inch bowl on a hotplate doesn't sound very stable at all. Be careful you aren't wearing the metal.

RU shooter
01-06-2007, 01:34 PM
Float the mold on the melt for a minute or 2 then try again.

What is the diameter of the contact area between bowl and hotplate? Think you are getting enough heat transfer to get the melt up around 750* or so?

Just as an aside... A 5 inch bowl on a hotplate doesn't sound very stable at all. Be careful you aren't wearing the metal.
The actual bottom of the bowl is 5" but due to some distortion from the heat actual contact area is prob. 4" or so. I could understand if if none of the moulds threw good boolits but why does one drop to size and the 2 new ones dont? the 185 is longer in the length of the boolit would that make any sense? the 160TL still just looks ugly though the bottom band is .311 and the little bands are .310 or less and the nose has flaws the 155 is the same shape less the little tumble bands and no flaws? so I dont know!

MT Gianni
01-06-2007, 02:21 PM
Clean em again and smoke em. Lee wants to see soot on the cavitys when they get them back. Gianni.

mooman76
01-06-2007, 02:36 PM
Some moulds are actually off a thousands or so. I'd keep trying at least until you get them to fill out properly. Mould temp can change the size of the bullets a hair or so.

SharpsShooter
01-06-2007, 03:11 PM
Lack of heat in the mould and alloy are sure a prime suspect for the ugly boolits. Good advice......all the above. Crank up the heat and you will likely see the fillout occur. TL moulds seem to need more heat to get the alloy into the smaller grooves.

SS

imashooter2
01-06-2007, 03:44 PM
5 inches common to the hot plate should be plenty of heat transfer area. My concept of a 5 inch bowl had the top at 5 inches and the bottom at 1.5 or 2 inches (hence the stability comment). Molds are individuals, just like rifles. They all want something a little different for optimal results. Are you pouring with the dipper in contact with the mold? If so, try a small gap to allow venting through the sprue hole. If you are pouring with a gap, try and use the contact method.

My first guess is still that your mold and melt are too cold. Even your 155 isn't filling... it's just better than the others. If the hot plate has adjustable temperature, turn it up. If it is fixed, let the melt sit on it a while longer before trying to cast. And float your mold on top for a bit to get it nice and hot. If the bullets start dropping frosted and they still aren't sharp and filled it'll be time to try something else.

GP100man
01-06-2007, 03:54 PM
+1 one on something not getting hot enuff
i own molds that i have 2 of & there (attitudes )
are so different i cast at different times with them!

GP

RU shooter
01-06-2007, 04:06 PM
Sounds like the general thought is more heat is needed! I have the temp cranked up on the hot plate and leave it sit for 15-20 min. after it goes liquid I'll try after the wife leaves to go shopping later on her stove in the kitchen I'll just crack some windows open, I was at Gander mountian just now and was looking at the little Lee melter and a Lyman mini pot Not very big compared to what I'm using now. BTW will one of those single burner propane camp stoves get it hot enough? or should I say hotter than what I'm using now. they are rated at 10K BTU

azcoyhunter
01-06-2007, 04:13 PM
I have had this exact problem,

How I fixed it is as follows

Re-cleaned my mold, sooted it throughly.

Got my alloy very hot, throughly mixed

Floated the mold until it would not "Hold" the lead anymore.

Then poured,

Sometimes the mold is too hot,and the lead runs out, then just either waite or the damp rag idea (Which I do not like It wastes heat)

Clint

mooman76
01-06-2007, 04:44 PM
You might want to get a regular cast iron pot. Should have better heat transfer= hotter lead.

44man
01-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Stainless only gets very hot where the hot plate contacts it. The stuff does not transfer heat to other parts of the pot. That is the reason most high quality pots have either copper or aluminum bottoms. Cast iron would be much better as would flame over a hot plate. The 20# Lee pot would solve your problem.

Bret4207
01-07-2007, 10:05 AM
I use a 6-8 cup stainless measuring cup on a Wally World hot plate and it gets more than hot enough. Mind you this is a very heavy duty cup with vertical sides and not a bowl. Yes, a camp stove works fine. I use one on occaision and some guys here use them for everything. Lotsa heat.

I'd follow the advice given to get the fill out. If it's still casting small then you may have a small mould. You might be able to send it back and exchange it for a different one.

arkypete
01-07-2007, 10:49 AM
It crossed my mind that the problem I've had with my old Lee pot is that it does not have enough insulation around it to keep the heat in. It might be a solution to your problem if you find a collar to fit around your bowl to keep a hot atmosphere around the sides of your bowl.
Here's a question for the more experienced fellows.
The trouble I've had with Lee molds is irradict (sp) filling out. If I were to increase the mass of the mold, say putting steel along the sides to get and stay hot, there by increasing the mass.
Any thoughts on this?
Jim

waksupi
01-07-2007, 11:25 AM
Jim, if you aren't getting good fill out, get the alloy hotter, or add a touch of tin.

RU shooter
01-07-2007, 03:07 PM
Well the fill out problem was the alloy temp. I took my pot up to the kitchen and used the gas stove ,waited about 15 min. after it went liquid and stuck the mould in for about 45 sec. poured the first one and waited and waited till the sprue to change finally did and out drops a nice frosty boolit ,next ones were better and perfect fill out! turned the heat down some and wrinkles started again ,seem real touchy on the temp tolerance? BUT they are still undersized at .311 Will Lee take these back for being only 1 thou. under or will they tell me to shove it? is there anyway I can make it cast bigger ? I guess I will atleast try 'em as is first and heres my current melting set up I dont know why the hot plate aint cutting it . maybe the cast Iron pot is worth a try? Thanks for the help.