PDA

View Full Version : Proofs in the Pudding

ColColt
07-01-2011, 12:56 PM
This is similar to the thread on "Load testing went well" but somewhat different. I too was at the range this morning for testing purposes of two new molds(one a fix from Erik, the other from Mountain Molds)) and was most surprised and delighted at the results of both.

I had cast and loaded about 50 for the "new and improved 429421" mold that Erik opened up for me since my throats on the M29 were .432". I also had cast some and loaded those(50) from a new mold recently received from Mountain Molds and wanted to not only pit the two together but to see what if any leading would occur with my loads of 11 gr of HS-6 and 9 gr of Universal.

I shot 25 first using the improved 429421 boolits and then 25 from the Mountain Mold boolits with the HS-6 load. Marvelous groups (for me) from both measuring about 1 1/2 inch c-c at ten yards. The same test was done for the Universal loads that also ran about the same.

My one big delight, other than the groups, was the fact there was zero leading near the muzzle nor at the forcing cone. Although I used two different alloys for the testing, keeping the same together, there was no leading at all with either the BHN 12(ww's + tin) or BHN 15 boolits(50/50 lead-Linotype). Twenty five were shot with the BHN 12 and likewise for the BHN15 boolits. This more or less proves that if you stay within reason using a particular hardness, although maybe not optimum, and have the boolits fit your throats more importantly you will get very little, if indeed, any leading at all despite the difference in hardness. I'm sure if I had used a much softer or harder alloy that may have changed to one degree but staying about where I should have for these loads they not only shot well but there was no need to break out the Chore Boy...most happy today about the results.

MtGun44
07-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Good news. Either alloy should run right up to redline with proper fit and lube with
that design (4294421). Try to work up to 20 or even 21 gr of 2400 if you want an accurate and
hot load with that design.

I assume Erik did his usual excellent work.

Bill

ColColt
07-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Good news. Either alloy should run right up to redline with proper fit and lube with
that design (4294421). Try to work up to 20 or even 21 gr of 2400 if you want an accurate and
hot load with that design.

I assume Erik did his usual excellent work.

Bill

I initially went up to 20 gr but extraction was a bit stiff so, I backed up one grain. I don't know-maybe the chambers were just dirty at that point since I had shot about 75 rounds prior to shooting those.

Yep, indeed, Erik did a super job. Boolits drop from the mold using ww's and tin at about .4355" as compared to .430 before. Now, this old 429421 mold from the .70's is even more precious.

MtGun44
07-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Stiff extraction is a good sign that you need to back down a touch. Not all
guns will like a full charge, each is a thing unto itself, which is why we start
at the starting loads! ;-) Tight chambers will run up pressures quite a bit.

I have a GB 6 cav Fat 429421 that casts around that size and is great for my
SBH which needs about .433 or .434 to do it's best work.

Bill

geargnasher
07-01-2011, 09:53 PM
I had EXACTLY the same stiff extraction at 20 grains of 2400 with a 429421 in a M29. I continue to be amazed that those paper-thin cylinder walls haven't killed more bystanders by spontaneous disassembly. My accuracy load at 100 yards ended up being 19.5 grains 2400 with 16:1 alloy. Gee, I wonder who could have given me that idea [smilie=1:

Gear

ColColt
07-01-2011, 10:42 PM
I'm surprised the SBH's throats were that big. I figured maybe .430 so, that's a surprise. My GP100's throats are exactly .358"(according to the plug gauge) as is groove diameter.

I've been tossing around trying that 16:1 alloy for a month now. I still may try it out and seem how Elmer's classic alloy works in my M29. Probably no better or worse than what I've already used but after all, it was recommended by the man. I suppose that was considered hard back then.

geargnasher
07-01-2011, 10:54 PM
If you're just punching paper, water-dropped wheel weights in the 22 bhn arena would probably shoot better than 16:1. I was just using a classic combination, shooting Elmer's components to compare. At those pressures, it worked better than several other things I tried.

Gear

ColColt
07-01-2011, 11:10 PM
It's strange as I remember shooting 22 gr of 2400 in my first M29(a 4" model) and don't recall having any problem with it. Of course, that was back around 1976-77 era. Perhaps something changed as the one I currently have was made in 1985-86. Paper punching is what I primarily do. If I had access to the kind of space Hickok45 does that water melon bashing looked like fun.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
07-02-2011, 01:35 AM
good to hear your having success , i am becoming a believer in fit , it makes sense that if a piston being pushed in a cylinder with a good seal would move in the path of least resistance
and the better the fit the greater the bearing surface so the less need for a harder surface to bear against

also since we muzzle stuff conical , and push them to greater speeds than is normal for 44mag and do it with pure lead with no leading at all with the major exception ,that we get to prefit the boolit on the way down slowly, from what i see the rate of twist isn't even that different compared to an in line muzzle loader with a 1:28 twist , 44 mag rifles seem to go longer yet like 1:38 while the super black hawk isn't that much shorter at 1:20