PDA

View Full Version : Old model blackhawk...

mannyCA
07-01-2011, 02:03 AM
anyone know where I can get a replacement frame for my old model 3 screw blackhawk in .357?
thanks,
Manny

DrB
07-01-2011, 02:26 AM
anyone know where I can get a replacement frame for my old model 3 screw blackhawk in .357?
thanks,
Manny

Since its the frame you're really asking about getting a replacement gun, aren't you?

No idea, though I have picked up a couple complete in the range of $250 to $275. One was at auction, the other a police confiscation/crime gun awarded by the court for resell by the department.

you might just patiently keep an eye out (or wait just a minute for someone with a better idea to come along). :)

What's wrong with the frame? Maybe ruger would help you out with a new model frame for a price, depending on the problem.

captaint
07-01-2011, 09:42 AM
If it's just a grip frame you need, check out the SA websites. Should not be a problem.
Mike

mannyCA
07-01-2011, 10:45 AM
I'm afraid its the frame, the previous owner seemed to have used the flattop as a hammer and its pretty beat up. For someone as anal as I am regarding the state of my firearms, it drives me insane to see it like that. I don't want to send it back since this one hasn't had the locking bar installed and I love shooting it like this. Call me a nostalgic.

Skipper
07-01-2011, 11:18 AM
You'll have to send it back to Ruger for a frame replacement. Tell them that you want the new transfer bar kit installed and that you want the old parts back (they normally send them anyway). That way, if you wish, you can re-install the old parts.

http://www.ruger.com/pdf/safetyOfferAd.pdf

On second thought, they probably don't have any 3-screw frames left. Do you have a picture of the frame damage? I wonder if it could be tig welded, dressed down and re-blued?

subsonic
07-01-2011, 12:15 PM
On second thought, they probably don't have any 3-screw frames left. Do you have a picture of the frame damage? I wonder if it could be tig welded, dressed down and re-blued?

Same thing I was going to say.

MtGun44
07-01-2011, 06:16 PM
Frame or grip frame?

The frame IS the gun, so you are talking about a new gun. If you
are lucky, a good gunsmith may be the answer. Some damage can
be peened back out and the metal pushed back in place then flat
filed and refinished.

Bill

mannyCA
07-01-2011, 09:52 PM
This damage seems to be beyond typical repair, I was hoping to find a replacement frame to swap out.
thanks for the ideas.

DrB
07-02-2011, 10:56 AM
This damage seems to be beyond typical repair, I was hoping to find a replacement frame to swap out.
thanks for the ideas.

Could you share some pictures?

With a better idea as to what we're talking about, some here may be able to give you a better answer... Or even share the name of a smith they would trust to do the work.

mannyCA
07-02-2011, 06:32 PM
I'd post a pic but had the camera drop into the lake last time we went out.:(

Skipper
07-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Manny, is it the frame or the grip frame?

McLintock
07-04-2011, 04:59 PM
If you go over to Rugerforum.com, somebody might have a bare frame they'd sell you, they have most anything else in parts for Ruger Old Models. Whether or not it's a true flattop, under 42,000 serial number, or the later "eared" model would make a difference, in both availability and price. Just a flattop frame would probably go for $250-350. A good custom gunsmith, like Alan Harton of Houston, Tx could fix it back up, but it'd be expensive to do as most likely due to welding it'd have to be color case hardened afterward, the heated areas always show through bluing. It'd just be cheaper all around to call it a parts gun and buy another one just like it. By the time you buy a gun for the cylinder frame and swap your parts into it, you've got a different gun anyway. Ruger wouldn't have any parts for it at all, nor probably fix it up if it's like you say. They refinish the old ones pretty nice, but probably wouldn't mess with one like yours. Don't know what else to tell you.
McLintock

bearcove
07-05-2011, 09:13 AM
If you are shooting it, it should be fixable. Without a picture its just a guess.

bigboredad
07-05-2011, 12:31 PM
like what was said earlier check out rugerforum.com and rugerforum.net but its. not going to be cheap. Their is a local guy selling a old model .357 if you'd like I can send you the info he is asking 500

mannyCA
07-05-2011, 11:11 PM
thanks for the feedback, unfortunately the $500 is more than I can afford right now and really wanted to just swap it out. I guess I'm gonna leave it alone and shoot it as is.
thanks guys.

Reg
07-05-2011, 11:51 PM
OK, you say the previous owner used the frame as a hammer but it is still shootable. What you are talking about is cosmetic , not structural. All you need is someone who is a wizard at refinishing.
Look around, there are a few out there who don't charge a arm and a leg but will bring the basic lines back and restore the factory color.
It is going to cost, expect $150.00 to $200.00 perhaps even a bit more, it's hard to say without pictures.
Mel Doyles up in Idaho has pulled several rabbits out of a hat for me and is highly reccomended but I can only hope he is still in business.
He used to advertise in the Shot Gun News. If not there, let me know and I will PM his last phone number.

:drinks:

Char-Gar
07-07-2011, 11:35 AM
If the frame is truly a goner, you best bet is to part out the pistol and sell the good parts on Ebay. Lots of folks who have converted pistols would like to have the old lockwork back.

Use the profits from the sale to help finance a new pistol.