PDA

View Full Version : Ak-47

monadnock#5
01-06-2007, 12:49 AM
There's a gun show in Manchester next weekend. I am looking for something in particular. However, past experience has taught me to always have a plan B prepared, just in case Versifier or Ray gets there two steps ahead. Plan B in this case is an AK-47. With all the varieties out there, which is the best? I thank you in advance for your comments. Good, bad, ugly or indifferent, all opinions are welcome. :)

Ken

nelson133
01-06-2007, 07:30 AM
IMHO for what it is most any of the AKs will do. Some people swear by the Saigas, which are pretty reasonably priced and are available in several calibers including .223.
The cheapest straight AK is the Romanian WASR, available in 10 or 30 round magazine capacity. Most of the 30 rounders are 10 rounders with the magazine well cut to fit. I'd check and make sure that the magazine seats firmly if you buy a 30 rounder and make sure that the magazine well cuts have rounded corners, as if they are square cut, they can crack.

RU shooter
01-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Well you have a few choices out there right now, theres the Romanian models which are what the wsar's are except they have had the mag well opened up from a single stack to double stack mag. most work well but with some slop in the mag. fit accuracy is typically 4-6 moa. lowest price and bottom of the pile on fit and finish but functional and typical AK realibility.

Next are the Yugoslavian models. these typically are made very well and of heavier construction than other AK's Alot better quality than any Romanian ! but IMHO they are overpriced

Lastly are the true Russian and originators of the AK47 series of rifles The Saigas!
very well made and probably more accurate than all the others problem is that they dont look pure AK right from the box ,It take a hour or so worth of work to convert to traditional AK dress But they are good to go straight from the box IMO. Ohhhh Did I fail to mention that the Saigas are the lowest price !!!!!

If it were my money i would be looking for a Saiga in the original 7.62 soviet cal. or .223 if that whole Cold War this still bothers ya!

versifier
01-06-2007, 09:15 PM
I'm usually the last one to hear about local gun shows. Is it at the Radison? Both days? I didn't find much there last fall, maybe this one will be better.

monadnock#5
01-06-2007, 11:07 PM
Yes Sir, both days at the Radison, 9-5 Sat., and 9-2 Sunday. See you there maybe.

Ken

crazy mark
01-07-2007, 12:34 AM
As an owner of a Saiga 7.62x39 hunter that is scoped I can say they are a accurate rifle. I have gotten 2-3" groups at 100 yds with it. You have to modify the rifle or mags to use 30 round mags. I chose to buy and modify 30 round mags so I can still use the original 5 rounder for deer hunting. Mark

NickSS
01-08-2007, 04:05 PM
I have two of the Romainian rifles and they function flawlessly. With issue sights they shoot about 4 to 5 inch groups at 100 yards. I put a MOJO sight on one and the groups shrank to around 3 inches with the same ammo! Using cast I can get better groups with handloads at around 2 inches. The only problem is that as recieved both gave me a pain in the trigger finger with trigger slap. I installed new triggers from TAPCO and now they shoot fine without pain in the finger.