PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Sizer?

dk17hmr
01-06-2007, 12:03 AM
Can someone explain how they work to me?

And how easy it is to change over to different calibers.

Thanks

Hunter
01-06-2007, 12:27 AM
The Lyman sizer works similar as the single stage press, 1 bullet at a time.
By placing a casted bullet in the center of the sizing die and driving the ram home it swages the bullet to the diameter of the sizing die. With pressure on the lube (from the handle above the lube tunnel) that lube is injected into the lube groove of the bullet at the bottom of the sizing stroke. On the upstroke the bullet is removed from the sizing die, sized and lubed.
Changing sizing dies is a matter of loosening the lock nut that holds the sizing die in and removing the sizing die. The throw of the ram must be adjusted using the adjuster below the sizing die so the lube will not be injected above the bullet meplat or between the bullet base and sizing die.
The Lyman manual really does a much better job than I do in explaining the steps.

dk17hmr
01-06-2007, 12:36 AM
Thanks Hunter....more or less what I thought, I am thinkin about buying one.

Whats the differences in Top punches?

Hunter
01-06-2007, 12:42 AM
The top punches will have a different profile according to the shape bullet you will be sizing (SWC, RN, and so on) so as not to scar that style bullet while sizing.
They are held in place with a small allen screw and really easy to swap.
I have 2 Lyman 4500 (1 for .45 and 1 for .38) and so far both have worked great. If you plan to use a hard lube (like for high pressure bullets) it woul dbe a goo didea to get a heater. They install from the rear of the base and are help in place with a small allen head screw.

dk17hmr
01-06-2007, 01:07 AM
So are the top punches universal? One size SWC, RN, FP, fits all calibers?

hpdrifter
01-06-2007, 01:23 AM
no, the top punches are bullet/bullet design specific, however, if you don't have to size down more than a couple thousandths, the nose profile MAY not damage another style bullet.

I've got one top punch in mine, and I haven't changed between a couple of differnt bullets. Of course they are all flat point.

If you are going to get a sizer for pistol bullets, I'd recommend getting RCBS(if you go with either a Lyman or RCBS sizer). The Lyman has two sets of lube ports and I'VE had trouble setting the Lyman for certain bullets. RCBS only have one lube port and it adjusted muy pronto.

EDIT: I am speaking of the dies here, not recommending either RCBS or Lyman Lubrisizers; although my Lyman works for me.

I might add that pressure is constant in the Lyman/RCBS(can't say about the others). Meaning, you screw a piston into a lube chamber and pressurize the lube. A solid base covers the ports in the dies and when you apply the downward stroke, the bullet pushes this base/piston down and the ports are uncovered and the bullet closes them off until the lube grooves are inline with the ports. The pressure remains until lube flows, then when it flows a little pressure is lost.

Murphy
01-06-2007, 01:26 AM
dk17hmr,

Seems hpdrifter beat me to the 'punch' on this one.

Murphy

wiljen
01-06-2007, 06:36 AM
<Snip>
If you are going to get a sizer for pistol bullets, I'd recommend getting RCBS(if you go with either a Lyman or RCBS sizer). The Lyman has two sets of lube ports and I'VE had trouble setting the Lyman for certain bullets. RCBS only have one lube port and it adjusted muy pronto.
<Snip>

I've found that carefully placing a layer of scotch tape over the lower set of holes then gently seating the die in the sizer so as not to disturb the tape helps when using those lyman dies. I tried masking tape but its thickness kept me from seating the die. It might work for you too depending on the tolerance between die and press - mine is an older Lyman 45.

Wiljen

Hunter
01-07-2007, 02:07 AM
I have had good luck if I don't keep the pressure on the lube to high. I like the Moly lube better then the Alox.

VTDW
01-07-2007, 01:09 PM
My first sizer is the 4500. I just finished lubing 200 of .44 caliber 280 gr. boolits and love it. I also made myself a custom top punch yesterday and will report on how it works the next time I lube these big meplat boolits.

Dave

dakotashooter2
01-08-2007, 12:29 PM
On the lyman dies I usually plug a few of the ports with lead shot. The lyman dies often have 4 rows of ports (deep) and only 2 are needed for pistol bullets.