PDA

View Full Version : Golden rule, remember that?

frkelly74
06-29-2011, 08:56 PM
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

I am having fun most of the time on this site. I really enjoy it. I do a lot on the swappin and sellin and enjoy it. Recently I traded for a lee 312-160 double cavity mold and was happy with it and looking forward to making nice boolits . So I fired up the pot last night and got to work and turned out some nice looking boolits. I took them in and measured them and got an unpleasant surprise. The boolits are all seriously out of round in that they measure .308 one way and .315 at 90 degrees around the circumfrence. So at the line where the halves join it is .315 and 90 degrees away it is .308. I wish I could remember who I got this from but it is deleted from my posts and memory. I would like to ask them why they didn't send them back instead of trading them off. They look like they have been used very little . So now I am in negotiations with Lee to see what can be done. Bother!!!!

waksupi
06-29-2011, 11:09 PM
Do you have any PM's between you? They should be in your message files.

firefly1957
06-30-2011, 03:47 AM
Do you size them? or shoot them as cast? when sized they may shoot fine.

I just noticed that my .45 acp four cavity lyman mould throws a .452X.4545 bullet but sized and lubed it shoots fine I have used this Mould for 30 years and just measured some as cast bullets I never felt the need as it worked well.

frkelly74
06-30-2011, 08:34 AM
I do not have the pm record any more. I usually delete them when everyone is happy after a trade.

I was planning to size them at .311, when I size these they are .311X.308 with the lube grooves flattened right out on the wide sides. The 312-155 single cavity mold that I had reacted well to this treatment and shoots well in my Garand with a worn bore. I am starting to wish I had kept that one.

fishhawk
06-30-2011, 08:39 AM
If the deal was all done in the S&S forum in the past 60 days i may be able to find it. steve k

waksupi
06-30-2011, 10:37 AM
You can also look back through your own posts to find them. Go to your profile.

fishhawk
06-30-2011, 11:04 AM
He will only be able to go back 30 days in the Swapping and Selling Ric where as "we" can go back to 60 days

frkelly74
06-30-2011, 01:46 PM
If the deal was all done in the S&S forum in the past 60 days i may be able to find it. steve k
Thank you, It was a post that I responded to in swappin and sellin, not one that I started. I looked back in my history and did not see my response. It was probably more than 60 days ago. Time sure flies.

frkelly74
06-30-2011, 01:47 PM
The mold is on the way back to Lee. Patrick is going to look at it.

1Shirt
07-02-2011, 08:01 PM
The addition to the golden rule reads "do on to others before the do it to you!"
1Shirt!:coffee:

frkelly74
07-02-2011, 10:56 PM
The addition to the golden rule reads "do on to others before the do it to you!"
1Shirt!:coffee:
Yeah, My sister used to say do back to others as they have done to you. Both of those kind of miss the point.

WILCO
07-04-2011, 07:56 AM
I would like to ask them why they didn't send them back instead of trading them off.

Maybe they didn't know the mold was bad. Who knows if they even used them?
Might have gotten them in a package deal with some other items. I myself have molds for calibers I don't shoot and I don't know how they drop boolits. I do know I'm keeping them all though. :p Buyer beware is the old adage.

frkelly74
07-04-2011, 09:52 AM
It is a little hard to "beware" when the other party is 1000 miles away. I guess the alternatives are trade or not trade. I would like to think that the mold was sent to me with the former owner unaware, but someone had used it. Maybe they didn't have a micrometer and really didn't know. I would like to ask them.

smoked turkey
07-04-2011, 10:14 AM
I agree with Wilco in that a lot of people seem to be able to find the deals. I see the statement a lot of times 'this is from an estate sale' or 'another yard sale find'. Why can't I ever do that? I think a person that has not personally used the mold just needs to state that. That should clear them from willfully trying to fleece someone. I have purchased quite a few items from the buying and selling section of this forum and I have found everyone I have dealt with to be outstanding. Quality and price is better than I have found on e-bay or gunbroker.

Echo
07-04-2011, 10:48 AM
I guess there are untold hordes of ignorant casters out there (that don't attend this forum!) who wouldn't know that their mold throws out of round. They happily cast away, run the result through a Lee sizer and that whole process, shoot them boolits, and are happy campers, no matter that they are shooting patterns, or else may be satisfied with 6-8" groups. I'm not knocking the Lee process - nor am I knocking those ignorant folks - they may be happy with their process and outcome, and see no reason to improve the system. I've gotten molds that are a challenge - maybe that's the reason they were on sale. Whatever. As someone once said, 'Caveat Emptor'.

WILCO
07-04-2011, 12:36 PM
It is a little hard to "beware" when the other party is 1000 miles away. I guess the alternatives are trade or not trade. I would like to think that the mold was sent to me with the former owner unaware, but someone had used it. Maybe they didn't have a micrometer and really didn't know. I would like to ask them.

Life's too short. Try some Zoloft and move on. :popcorn:

frkelly74
07-04-2011, 12:51 PM
I am going to get some bud lite with lime. That is my current med.

WILCO
07-04-2011, 12:58 PM
I am going to get some bud lite with lime. That is my current med.

Cool!!! Happy fourth Dude!

sirgknight
07-04-2011, 03:36 PM
in all my dealings with Lee I have found them to be one of the very best in customer satisfaction. It wouldn't surprise me if they send you a new mold free of charge to replace the mold you sent them.

buck1
07-04-2011, 05:41 PM
It is very posiable they had no idea of the defect. Asking questions before a purchasce is often a good practice , but it means loosing out on a deal sometimes.

RugerFan
07-04-2011, 09:56 PM
With one small exception, I have always gotten good molds on the S&S board here. eBay is a different story. 50% or more off eBay tend to have some major flaw. That place seems to be a revolving repository for misfit molds.

frkelly74
07-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Just to update, in case anyone is interested, I got a package from Lee just now that contained a new mold. Pre lubed and smoked and ready to go. The original owner could easily have done the same thing. I think Lee is a great place to do business with for the record.

Three-Fifty-Seven
07-09-2011, 10:36 PM
BTW just for everybody who might read this . . . RCBS told me the proper way to measure a cast boolit is first measure opposite the split line . . . then just next to the line, then on the other side of the line . . . making a very narrow "X" with the last two measurements . . . sometimes there is a tiny bit of "flash" sticking out . . .