PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x54R Steyr

Gtek
06-29-2011, 08:25 PM
While at the range several years ago, a gentleman pulled up and started unloading his vehicle. I noticed the 95 sliding out to the bench. My bud and I were watching them set up and were talking between us about ours and the cheek slap etc. First round basketball sized fireball off muzzle, wow - our 38 dated fodder does not bang like that.
Several more rounds and he said he cannot even hit paper at 25 yards. We could not take it anymore and approached. COM-BLOC copper washed laying on the ground
and I had to ask, he informed me it was a WWII rebuild and the ammo was cheap. He said it did not kick like the "guy " said it would. I ask him if I could see an unfired round
and inserted into muzzle and rattled it for him. He still did not get it until a short class
with history. I have come to the realization that the older I get the more IDIOTS I will encounter. I have grown a third eye to use at range benches when unconfirmed in area. Wife swears I am getting to be a grouchy OL' whatever. Gtek

"LEAD = the new excuse for stupid LIBERAL children"

JeffinNZ
06-29-2011, 10:32 PM
Firstly, you should have convinced him to sell the 'obviously defective' rifle to you. ;-)

Secondly, our man 'Buckshot' actually has rebarreled a 95 to .30-40 Krag so you can never always be 100% sure.

leadman
06-30-2011, 12:19 AM
Well, that was one way to cut the recoil!

I remember the Steyr I had. Was shooting it off the hood of my truck, would lift me right up off the hood.
That was probably 10 years ago, right before I sold it.

Buckshot
07-09-2011, 03:00 AM
..............There are NO flies on the accuracy potential or capability of the M95 Steyr straight pull ACTIONS. Well lemme back up and say 'Almost' as the triggers suck channel water, but other then that .............. What gets in the way of great shooting from such a fine bit of machine work is the several rather inconsistent dimensions encountered in the chamber neck, throat, generous length of the leade, and the run of the mill overly large groove dimensions.

Ernest Hemingway was with the Republicans reporting on the fighting during the Spanish Civil War. He mentions at one point while the group he was with that had been pulled back for rest and resupply had been notified that they would be recieveing a sizeable quantity of Austrian 1895 (straight pull) rifles. Hemingway wrote that a few of the soldiers were upset and he quoted one as exclaiming, "Why would we want those, you can't hit anything with them."

Anyway, as JeffinNZ mentioned, I did have one rebarreled to 30-40 Krag. All it basically required was rebarreling.

http://www.fototime.com/3F99F55C9811736/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/F2618D4764522E3/standard.jpg

There were 2 very minor adjustments required to the clip, but that was it. I tweaked a bit on the trigger so it's better but still suckie :-| However accuracy is everything a person would want. Naturally for any rifle, altering it to fire a different cartridge becomes more difficult the farther away you get from the original in it's critical dimensions. The easiest to do is to chamber to the Russian 7.62x54R, and probably a couple of it's smaller (caliber wise) wildcats. I've heard of but not seen photos of conversions to .444 Marlin.

Two of the very neatest conversions I've seen were done pre-WW2 in Europe. Both were extremely attractive rifles. One was a carbine in 7x57 Rimmed. It had double set triggers and was in a Mannlicher style stock. I'm still wondering if they somehow or the other left the "Out of Battery" safety feature the issue trigger has or just said "Screw it", left it off and counted on the buyer's ability to make sure the bolt was completely locked up before firing? I don't recall the cartridge the other was changed to but the external magazine had been deleted and changed to staggered feed like a Mauser! I realize some don't like the external magazines, but I feel they're rather racy looking, like on the M91 Argentines. However if I'd disliked them THAT much I don't think I'd have started with a M95 Steyr for the project:confused:

I have a M95/31 with a hopeless barrel on a shelf out in the shop. Since the 30-40 conversion turned out so well I bought it with the idea of another. Right now my thoughts are to make it either a 38-55 or a 40-65. The 8x56R case has a rim and casehead size VERY close to that of the 45-70. In fact before boxer ammo was available, besides altering 100 fired Berdan primed cases to accept the 209 shotshell primer I also converted twenty 45-70 cases to 8x56R, and they worked as well as the old issue ammo. Of course if I was really smart 7.62x54R would be the simplist quickest way to go. I love the 38-55, the 40-65 seems like it'd be a gas and I'm not REALLY SMART:mrgreen: However, with all the stuff I have to do the fact of that conversion to ANY other round is very iffy!

..................Buckshot

Artful
07-09-2011, 03:28 AM
Must have got the ammo from the shop that was selling 308 to the Mosin Nagant rifle shooter.

junkbug
07-09-2011, 10:46 PM
I have wondered for a long time if any Soviet satellite nation ever converted M95 straight pulls to 7.62x54r. Technically, other than a barrel of the correct bore diameter, it would not be a difficult conversion.

ajjohns
11-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Buckshot, I would suppose a conversion of this type could be done in 303 British? I have an 8x56 but do not cast. No time I guess so I gotta buy my lead bullets. I already have a 30/40 1898 Springfield so that caliber is already being used. Don't own a 303 - yet. I like the 8x56 but I don't like it's short barrel. I don't think I'll be finding any longer barrels around. I redid the wood on my Steyr and it looks an aweful lot like yours, just wish I had a little more "user friendly" caliber. Thanks, Aaron.

drhall762
11-11-2011, 02:34 PM
I once sold an 08/34 Mauser, .30-06, to a former Service Member that was a self proclaimed weapons expert. Guess I should have told him it was -06 as he fire a full mag of .308 before he realized the cases looked funny.

Never take anyone or anything to chance!

Buckshot
11-12-2011, 02:30 AM
Buckshot, I would suppose a conversion of this type could be done in 303 British?

Conversion to .303 Brit would be as simple as that done to 30-40. Finding a barrel of the correct bore & groove might be problematic. Also a conversion to 7.62x54R would be a good choice. Go with either a .308" bbl or try and fine a .311" grooved one. If you went with a 30 cal bbl I'd mark it 7.62x54R - .308".

I have an 8x56 but do not cast. No time I guess so I gotta buy my lead bullets.

If you have a TV, unplug it and you'll be amazed at how much time you have :-)

I already have a 30/40 1898 Springfield so that caliber is already being used. Don't own a 303 - yet. I like the 8x56 but I don't like it's short barrel. I don't think I'll be finding any longer barrels around. I redid the wood on my Steyr and it looks an aweful lot like yours, just wish I had a little more "user friendly" caliber.
As I mentioned in my previous post, one of the nestest conversions done to the M95 was an old European job, converted to 7x57 Rimmed.

Buckshot

Mk42gunner
11-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Buckshot,

It may be a consideration, or may not; but the first thing that ran through my mind was the difference in rim diameter between the .40-65 and the .38-55.

Never having actually held a Model 95 Steyr in my hands, how much problem will it be using a smaller rimmed case if you go with the .38-55? It may be easier to use that .38-56 Winchester case, it would only be one more pass through a forming die from .45-70 than the .40-65.

Robert

Buckshot
11-13-2011, 12:12 AM
Buckshot,

It may be a consideration, or may not; but the first thing that ran through my mind was the difference in rim diameter between the .40-65 and the .38-55.

Never having actually held a Model 95 Steyr in my hands, how much problem will it be using a smaller rimmed case if you go with the .38-55? It may be easier to use that .38-56 Winchester case, it would only be one more pass through a forming die from .45-70 than the .40-65.

Robert

Robert,

That WOULD be a problem. With the 38-55's rim centralized on the breechface, the claw of the extractor gets a decent hold, only being maybe 50% of the width of the rim. A guy would really have to know his way around a TiG or MiG to add metal to the extractor's claw to get a better grip. So on second thought, maybe 38-56, or 40-60 Maynard (30-40 blown out) would be a better option :-) I do like the thought of one chambered 7.62x54R, as it'd be simple. The only problem is how common are new barrels with .311/.312" grooves?

...............Buckshot

onesonek
11-13-2011, 02:32 AM
I do like the thought of one chambered 7.62x54R, as it'd be simple. The only problem is how common are new barrels with .311/.312" grooves?

...............Buckshot

Shilen and Pac-Nor have .311" blanks, but only in 1-10" twist. Might be more, but I don't know who.

ajjohns
11-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Thanks Buckshot. I will think about it, maybe the Russian round would be a fun one too. Oh, and there's no TV time at my house, sorry. I thought that's why they sold cast bullets already made so guys like me could shoot em up. Three kids and full time jobs take up my free time. Maybe in a few years I'll be ready to start pouring lead. I looked at the rim dia. of the 8/56, 30/40, and 303. They are .559, .545, and .540. 45/70's rim dia, and would suppose it's offspring have a rim dia. of .608. Will this fit the bolt face of the Steyr? Or are we talking lathe turning the rim down smaller. Just measuring all the options.
Thanks, Aaron.

Buckshot
11-15-2011, 01:59 AM
I looked at the rim dia. of the 8/56, 30/40, and 303. They are .559, .545, and .540. 45/70's rim dia, and would suppose it's offspring have a rim dia. of .608. Will this fit the bolt face of the Steyr? Or are we talking lathe turning the rim down smaller. Just measuring all the options.
Thanks, Aaron.

..............The 45/70 rim size required turning the rim down some.

...............Buckshot

Ecramer
11-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Shilen and Pac-Nor have .311" blanks, but only in 1-10" twist. Might be more, but I don't know who.

Wouldn't it be possible to just cut down and rechamber an original Mosin barrel? I'd think there are plenty of those laying about just now.

Larry Gibson
11-24-2011, 02:00 PM
Might note that Phil Sharpe recommended fire forming commercial 7.62x54R cases in the M95 Steyr (Complete Guide to reloading, Philip Sharpe, p30). He did however recommend not using "full charge Russian cartridge in the Mannlicher rifle". Perhaps some partial advice or mistaken advice from days of old?

Larry Gibson